The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SM7, SM7a, SM7b.??????
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

SM7, SM7a, SM7b.??????

I'm about to get a SM7....at present its called SM7b.....anyone know of any differences btw these "variations on a theme" SM7, SM7a, SM7b.??????
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

well, I DO know that the old sm57's were made here in the U.S. and now they're made in Mexico. Probably the same for the SM7's but that's all I know.

J.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

hey, that's my mic

i've got an SM7b that i use for vox. I really like it. It's the first mic I bought.

Anyway, i researched a bit before i got it.

The sm7b has slightly more gain and also rejects radio freq. a little better than the orig. SM7. Otherwise, it's the same. that's basically what i found.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

If you can find an original or an "a" model, at least you'll know you're getting one that sounds right. I don't remember where I heard this and it could have been complete B.S., but I heard the SM7b wasn't quite the same as the older ones. It makes sense, too. If it rejects RF and has more gain, the circuit has obviously been modified. EVERYTHING changes tone! tutt
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
I don't remember where I heard this and it could have been complete B.S., but I heard the SM7b wasn't quite the same as the older ones. It makes sense, too. If it rejects RF and has more gain, the circuit has obviously been modified. EVERYTHING changes tone! tutt
I got my first SM7b from Vintage King a while ago and I asked Mike Nehra if the new ones are worse and he said no.
I ordered my second one shortly after that, both of these Mexico-made SM7bs are AWESOME. Just fantastic.

I haven't directly compared them to the older models but believe me, you'll be glad about the 'gain issue' because the SM7 hasn't got much gain to begin with.
This has nothing to do with the sound but even the SM7b has LESS gain than say a SM 57, you need a good preamp to really get the best out of it.

Andi

www.doorknocker.ch
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Maniac

I've had no complaints about my SM7b... it is often the go-to mic when wanting to get a rock vocal that gels with the track (even over mics 8x the price).

-CJ
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by absrec
If you can find an original or an "a" model, at least you'll know you're getting one that sounds right. I don't remember where I heard this and it could have been complete B.S., but I heard the SM7b wasn't quite the same as the older ones. It makes sense, too. If it rejects RF and has more gain, the circuit has obviously been modified. EVERYTHING changes tone! tutt

How would one know if a 20 year old mic with an unknown history sounds 'right'?
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

So, what's the difference b/w the original SM7 and the SM7a? During what years was the 7a being made?
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe View Post
So, what's the difference b/w the original SM7 and the SM7a? During what years was the 7a being made?
I'd also like to know what the difference is....any takers.
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Isn't it something to do with the mounting yoke?
Old 9th September 2006
Gear Maniac

i know bruce sweiden will only use SM7's and not the new ones, but he didnt elaborate on why
Old 9th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddyleewannabe View Post
I thought that going from SM7 to SM7a fixed the RF subseptability problem. i'm not sure what happened with the change from SM7a to SM7b.

(all stuff I've read, no first hand knowledge)
Old 10th September 2006
Dor
Lives for gear

I just got a new sm7b mic to use with my 1073 pre. I'm getting an awful amount of noise on the mic and need to crank my pre all the way up. I heard this mic needs a ton of gain but is this typical?
Old 10th September 2006
Lives for gear

from shure
SM7A - improved humbucking coil added; improved design of the mic mounting yoke.
SM7B - larger windscreen added
Old 27th March 2007
Lives for gear

Here's what I know from having owned six completely different SM7s so far. They all sound slightly different, but whether it's SM7, SM7a or SM7b makes no nevermind.

The best one for me is a Mexican Assembled SM7 because the windscreen still smells like cigarettes. I quit smoking three years ago April 26, but I still love the smell. So that's my mic.

Sounding almost identical to it is the SM7a I just sold to bannerj in Michigan. No smell, though.

Next closest was the SM7b, which I sold to some Canadian (I know... what was I thinking).

Finally, I still have but am selling an SM7, American made serial number #1176 on eBay. It's cool, but it pretty much sounds the same as the SM7b, except that they all sound slightly different.

If I get motivated, I could upload some VO mp3s as I made extensive tests with all of them and am NOT talking out of my ass here. If you guys express an interest, I will.

And I hate to say it, but I think Bruce Swedien was way off base in his SM7 statements. I've noticed that many of these well-established engineers have one or two areas of -- for want of a better term -- utter illogical BS beliefs based on vanity and sentiment rather than the facts. I loved Bruce's forum when he was here, but he's just flat wrong about the SM7s being substantially different from SM7bs. His U47s, yes, his SM7s, no.

Jasper
Old 27th March 2007
Gear Guru

The sm7 was a decent mic, it did not really have a wow factor with me, i guess the down side was its low output., need a lot of gain for that puppy.
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaza View Post
The sm7 was a decent mic, it did not really have a wow factor with me, i guess the down side was its low output., need a lot of gain for that puppy.
That's a downside?

Aren't you the API hound?
Old 28th March 2007
Gear Addict

michael jackson could have sang into a bottle of ketchup. thriller was a seller.all about attitude.i dont think it was the mic.
Old 28th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidorange View Post
michael jackson could have sang into a bottle of ketchup. thriller was a seller.all about attitude.i dont think it was the mic.
Sure, he's a great singer and all but you can definitely hear the SM7's personality and the way it shaped the tone and dynamics. It was (obviously) an extremely good choice for that album. I think a typical 86, 47, C-12, etc would have lost the vibe. Listen to the opening verse in Billy Jean. The vocal is present but not invasive as it is still able to come across as a bit shy and defensive.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search