The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AMS 1081 or Wunder PEQ1?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

AMS 1081 or Wunder PEQ1?

I currently own AMS 1073s and am looking to get something a little more hi-fi sounding. Been considering AMS 1081s, or a pair of Wunder PEQ1s. Price is not a concern. Thoughts?
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
Price is not a concern
Yes...thats what I like to hear...
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Beware of the Wunder module! Hear it before you buy it! A friend of mine and I did a shoot out with the Wunder, the Telefunken V78, and the Brent Averill 312. The Wunder pre hung in there with the rest of them. The problem was the eq. It was the most pussy eq I've ever heard. I don't know about ya'll, but when I boost 60Hz in a kick drum, f%@&in' A, I want to hear it!!! I hate to sound like a walking billboard all the time, but I can't get enough of my Avedis E15 eqs, (which won the shoot out, by the way). They're still fairly new... Anyway, I not trying to diss the product, but Wunder Audio claimed that their module blew the original Neve 1073 in the dirt. They should probably listen again. It's an unfair statement in the first place, considering every 1073 sounds different. Who knows, maybe we got a broken module. My friend payed some pretty rediculous shipping and when he notified the company of the problem, they blew him off. Who wants to deal with a company like that, anyway. tutt
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Sorry about all that negativity. I hear the AMS 1081s sound good. They're probably worth checking out as well.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I own a pair of 1083 which is the same as a 1081 but with stepped boost/cut on the eq section. They're by far my favorite modules for drums. enough said.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Absrec, How would you compare those Brent Averil EQs to API 550As (not to get off the subject)?
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Head
harvestmark

I have a pair each of the Neve-AMS 1073's & the Wunder Audio PEQ1's. I must admit I find myself reaching for the Wunder's for certain things & the Neve's for other things. I really like the Wunder EQ section, but it certainly is not a Neve clone. Totally different. Also, my dealings with the company have been a pleasure. I dig the Wunder's, but if you want something that sounds like Neves, buy Neves.
Mark Miller
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetness
Absrec, How would you compare those Brent Averil EQs to API 550As (not to get off the subject)?
I have used both. We did the shoot out when my friend was selling his API console and looking for something to keep him working. And even though he is an API nut (being a drummer, of course...), he said both the 312 pre and the E15 EQs sounded a bit better (believe it or not) than the API. And the board he sold was a vintage one that he owned for 10+ years and was highly familiar with. I tend to agree with him. They are really the best buy on the market nowadays. I love mine. And when it comes to pres, we found out after testing the Averill 312s, Vintech X73s, 1272s, Daking 52270s, TAB-Funkenwerk V78, Wunder Audio and some other custom pres, there really wasn't all that much difference. When you have a bunch of well built pres with transformers, there really are only suddle differences between them. I'm so glad we did that shoot out. It restored my faith in my equipment and purchases. Out of the suddle differences, we found that the only two units that stood out of the crowd even slightly were the V78 and the Averill 312s. The 312s had a little more bottom and the V78, of course has tubes. The V78 sounded the best on bass, BTW...
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

I'll have to chem 'em out.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Don't really like the newer copies of Neve's or API's, although they are cleaner.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

FWIW, I have a pair of AMS Neve 1081s for sale with a Mercenary Audio rack & PS.... (I'm raising money for a upcoming move down south) https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=37420

They're in perfect condition and you can save a couple grand over buying new.... thumbsup
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvestmark
I have a pair each of the Neve-AMS 1073's & the Wunder Audio PEQ1's. I must admit I find myself reaching for the Wunder's for certain things & the Neve's for other things. I really like the Wunder EQ section, but it certainly is not a Neve clone. Totally different. Also, my dealings with the company have been a pleasure. I dig the Wunder's, but if you want something that sounds like Neves, buy Neves.
Mark Miller

Ditto...
thanks for doing all the typing Mark.
thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search