The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Death Cab For Cutie "Transatlanticism" and the compression on the overall mix
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

When I think of cohesive but still great, this album comes to mind.

It is overflowing with character that I've never heard again; not from them and not from anyone else.

All the comments about merely compression or a vocal mic or whatever "makes the sound of that record" were pretty ridiculous. "Yeah the songs were good but it was really over the top in the 2-3k region." Wow.

Then the best one: "That album sounded like crap because their gear was crap, but Plans was better because they used a Radar." Please... (I love that unit, but that's neither here nor there.) :-)

For those who havent realized this yet: The sound of a particular album is the sum of hundreds if not thousands of things colliding at that given time. Each band member, their mood, their instruments, the shot they took and cigarette they smoked before nailing a track, the microphone, the preamp, the desk, the tape, the mixer, his mentor's critique, his self critique, his wife's stupid comment when he accidentally let her listen, the mastering, the revisions, etc....

This is why the great records have a "sound." Not because of any one particular gear element or one mastering technique. The whole is the sum of its parts... That's why music and recording are awesome and what we love.

I'm sure they would admit they couldn't make another one like Transatlanticism even it they tried.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for reminding me.

Spent many a London tube journey mesmerised by the song Transatlanticism... it is kind of like a mantra... and the imagery of Expo 86 - brilliant

My favourite album of theirs
Old 28th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
Thanks for reminding me.

Spent many a London tube journey mesmerised by the song Transatlanticism... it is kind of like a mantra... and the imagery of Expo 86 - brilliant
That album is probably still in my top ten of all time and my favourite DCFC record for sure.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

What's funny is I prefer Chris Walla's production on Nada Surf (Let Go / The Weight Is A Gift), The Long Winters (The Worst You Can Do Is Harm / When I pretend To Fall), and Teagan & Sara (The Con).

I like the Death Cab stuff, but he's almost a bit more "honest" sounding with these other groups. His leads for Nada Surf on TWIAG were on point to.

Still...Transatlanticism is one of their best.
Old 28th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
That album is probably still in my top ten of all time and my favourite DCFC record for sure.
Come to think of it... I have to agree!
Old 28th June 2013
Village Idiot

Awesome album..

Gustav
Old 28th June 2013
Gear Addict
Still love listening to Transatlanticism and Passenger Seat. Great album.
Old 28th June 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
What's funny is I prefer Chris Walla's production on Nada Surf (Let Go / The Weight Is A Gift), The Long Winters (The Worst You Can Do Is Harm / When I pretend To Fall), and Teagan & Sara (The Con).

I like the Death Cab stuff, but he's almost a bit more "honest" sounding with these other groups. His leads for Nada Surf on TWIAG were on point to.

Still...Transatlanticism is one of their best.
I didn't know that he did those Nada Surf albums too. Really great stuff that doesn't get much attention, at least here in New England.

I prefer the Photo Album to Transatlanticism. It sound about more alive to me. Also, the song Cath... on one of the newer albums is killer. Love the drum sounds on that one.

Sent from my slutzapp.
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Love love love that album....great reference mix for indie rock...and imho their best album....i can sit down put it on...listen front to back....almost like each song was writen to go with the next....
I agree with above poster their are sooo many elements that make an album sound the way it sounds....and sometimes everything aligns and you just get one of those perfect albums...
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoutu1 View Post
I didn't know that he did those Nada Surf albums too. Really great stuff that doesn't get much attention, at least here in New England.

I prefer the Photo Album to Transatlanticism. It sound about more alive to me. Also, the song Cath... on one of the newer albums is killer. Love the drum sounds on that one.

Sent from my slutzapp.
Yeah man! I love that stuff! =) Also I too prefer the mix on The Photo Album...but the songs...it's odd both records to me aren't perfect front to back.

Whereas...Let Go (Nada)...man that record slays me.
Old 29th April 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianBrian View Post
I have the Transatlanticism SACD and definately don't think it is overcompressed. Never compared it to the redbook version though, maybe that is different. The vocals sound fantastic, but I think the overall sound is definately cleaner than any earlier album.
I know your post is super old but given there have been some tops in the interim so I just wanted to mention, the SACD is a noticeably more open listen than the redbook layer, in fact it's the most open DCFC album in their entire catalogue. Transatlanticism was tracked and mixed all analogue and the 1/2" analogue stereo master was used to create a DSD mastering which was the source for the SACD and for Kevin Gray to cut the vinyl release from.

Chris Walla confirmed all this here - http://www.highfidelityreview.com/de...ereo-sacd.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search