The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Siemens w295b help
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Siemens w295b help

I need a users manual or something describing the various functions of my w295b if anyone can help out that would be great just bought one and have it racked and powered but I've only played with it a little.I have a small home studio with a focusrite red 8 mic pre, a dbx 160 vu comp, a lexicon vintage 200 reverb and the w295b. got a couple Mackie hr824's as well and a microtech gefell mt711s mic running sonar prducer. Any suggestions would be appreciated. (Hey I'm a singer not an engineer.)
Thanks
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I use them all the time, what would you like to know? It is a very straightforward, easy-to-use unit.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Simple: Close your eyes, wind up the knobs and listen.
If it sounds right it is right.

You don't have to be shy with the W295b: I often end up with hilarious amounts of high shelve boost, also on vocals. These critters rarely get harsh...

The low shelve sometimes sounds just too nice, and there's a risk of overdoing it. The corner frequencie's pretty low (60Hz), so watch your woofers, or add a bit of HPF after the Siemens.

Happy tweaking.

Michael
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by echorec
I use them all the time, what would you like to know? It is a very straightforward, easy-to-use unit.
I would like to know what the high and low shelving frequencies are. Have diagrams for the mid range boost and cut but I'm not sure where the low end roll off begins or the high end begins.
Thanks,
Mitch Dupree
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Corner freqs are 60 Hz and 15k.

I don´t know where they "begins". I might have the documention in the studio, will check for you.
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

The low- and highshelf are very wide and soft curves, they were more designed to improve the signal than to correct it. The low shelf begins at 1k, the high shelf at 700Hz (no, it isn't a mistake in writing). IMO it is a fantastic eq/enhancer for critical signals (vocals, acoustic...). Don't be fooled by the three db steps, they don't act like the more modern eq-designs, they'll be always very musical.

Andreas
Old 4th August 2005
Gear Nut

Thanks so much.
Old 4th August 2005
Old 5th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G
IMO it is a fantastic eq/enhancer for critical signals (vocals, acoustic...).

Andreas
Agreed, they are really great, I always use them on vocals, ac guitars, bass and sometimes on electric guitars when I mix.
Old 5th August 2005
Gear Nut

You guys are the best.Thanks so much
Mitch Dupree

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search