The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
dynaudio bm15-A vs. PMC TB2S-A
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

dynaudio bm15-A vs. PMC TB2S-A

anyone tried both?
I'm thinking changing my bm15a to the TB2S-A, what do you think?
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I own TB2S-A's, and have heard BM15A's, tho not in my own room.
I wasn't too impressed with the BM15A's, the PMC's sound more detailed and defined to me. Dunno in how far the room played a part, however my own room is far from a treated room either heh
The BM15A goes a bit lower on paper (down to 35Hz or so), while the PMC is flat down to 40Hz, but the difference is in the rolloff, it's way more gentle on the PMC's (due to transmissionline design) resulting in a tight defined bass.

Another difference is in the amplifier. The PMC's use the Flying Mole 'Class D' amp which delivers TONS of power while sounding like a very good class A amp. They stay very dynamic and natural even at high levels.

I can't wait to expand my 2.0 system into 5.1 someday :D
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

thanks,
does anyone know the corrent price for pair of these powered speakers in Europe?
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Listprice is around 2500euro (incl tax) for a pair. Magnetic shielding is an option (i took it anyway).
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

wow , cool thread....actually I´m in the middle of a decision for new monitors and had narrowed it down to these two !!!

right now I´m leaning towards the PMC s anyway......any of the pro´s would pick the DYNs over the PMCs ??? if so, why?

I´d love to get me a pair of K/H O300D +O800 sub, worked on them several times....they´re brilliant !!!!
but that´s more than the double $$$s (around 6k) ...just not in my budget right now...but someday they will be, for sure
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm not a pro, but I recently compared these two (and a few others). PMC speakers are something different. I believe you have to listen to and use them yourself to decide whether or not you want them. I think they're good speakers myself, but I like Dynaudio and Adam (S2.5A) better.
Old 3rd August 2005
Mastering Moderator

Yes it takes time but it is worth it.
In the end you'll understand the significance of the word "Monitor"

PMC's and K&H are simply in another league.

TB2's are great with a nice amp (like a Bryston) or the Moles.

If you can afford the K&H go for them!
Remember that the money....well spent on a good set of monitors (in a good roo) will aways make a much bigger difference than any mic, pre, comp or eq......
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

The B-15a's are great if you have room to spread them out. If they are too close it really effects the stereo image (more then most speakers it seams)... When spread it is wonderful. A thing of beauty.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

anyone else?
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

well, i don't like Genelecs, Dynaudios or Adams.

i've been using the PMC TB2SA for about 3 years and with a TLE1 sub for the past year.

i'm very happy. i love them to bits. i find them very natural, un-hyped, excellent at resolving dynamics, non-fatiguing and a pleasure to work with.

when i am in a position to move into a larger facility i will be buying the IB2SA.
Old 11th February 2009
Lives for gear

TB2Ss with flying moles = thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

here we are...3,5 years later!!

Guy, the OP, and I ....we both got Focals and like them....

Mine reside in a friends studio for a few sessions atm.....
and since tuesday I also have one of the first sets of United Minorities Brikett Systems (Ginko +Amp + Sub) here....

I´m not really sure if the Focals will really come back.....the UMs are in a league of their own.....though not really loud of course, having no crossover in the mids, the crazy impulse response etc. and the great sub.....I am constantly listening to music for hours and hours every night!

So in 2009:

The Ginkos will stay!!
The Focals might have to go....when
I finally get Barefoot MM27s.....still amaze me

Mixing will probably be 50/50 between the MM27 and the ginkos
After that I might be done with monitoring for a whole long time!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdarude View Post
wow , cool thread....actually I´m in the middle of a decision for new monitors and had narrowed it down to these two !!!

right now I´m leaning towards the PMC s anyway......any of the pro´s would pick the DYNs over the PMCs ??? if so, why?

I´d love to get me a pair of K/H O300D +O800 sub, worked on them several times....they´re brilliant !!!!
but that´s more than the double $$$s (around 6k) ...just not in my budget right now...but someday they will be, for sure
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

IMHO, the BM15A is terrible monitor. Extremely mushy in the midrange. Horrible imaging.
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

I have the TB2-SA and i´m quite happy with them.

I´m thinking of buying a subwoofer. Has anyone experience with the tb2 and a sub?
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

yes, i added the TLE-1 sub to my TB2SA last year and have been LOVIN it ever since!

if you take the time to set it up properly with your speakers and room it integrates seamlessly.

someone is selling one here on GS right now, check the classifieds.

DO IT!
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Hi,

It seems that the TB2SA have absolutely no adjustments to correct for bass or treble. Am I right?
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
here we are...3,5 years later!!

Guy, the OP, and I ....we both got Focals and like them....

Mine reside in a friends studio for a few sessions atm.....
and since tuesday I also have one of the first sets of United Minorities Brikett Systems (Ginko +Amp + Sub) here....

I´m not really sure if the Focals will really come back.....the UMs are in a league of their own.....though not really loud of course, having no crossover in the mids, the crazy impulse response etc. and the great sub.....I am constantly listening to music for hours and hours every night!

So in 2009:

The Ginkos will stay!!
The Focals might have to go....when
I finally get Barefoot MM27s.....still amaze me

Mixing will probably be 50/50 between the MM27 and the ginkos
After that I might be done with monitoring for a whole long time!!

Actually i had the bm15A for 3 years than i discovered the focal and never looked back
how much is the United Minorities Brikett System?
Old 12th February 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Hi,

It seems that the TB2SA have absolutely no adjustments to correct for bass or treble. Am I right?
yes, unfortunately
Old 12th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
yes, unfortunately
ooooohhh that is a dealbreaker for me, i think.

what would be the next larger passive PMC?

Old 13th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowswing View Post
Actually i had the bm15A for 3 years than i discovered the focal and never looked back
how much is the United Minorities Brikett System?
I think it´s around 4500,- .....or around 1200,- for the passive ginkos only!

but it´s soooooo worth it, Guy!

I´ll bring the whole Brikett system next time I´m in Berlin Guy, you GOTTA hear it!!!

and I finally wanne see/hear the Neve goddamit!!! it´s mid-feb already
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
I think it´s around 4500,- .....or around 1200,- for the passive ginkos only!

but it´s soooooo worth it, Guy!

I´ll bring the whole Brikett system next time I´m in Berlin Guy, you GOTTA hear it!!!

and I finally wanne see/hear the Neve goddamit!!! it´s mid-feb already
you must come by already with or without ginkos
Old 14th February 2009
Gear Head

count me in....

Count me in guys - just like to know how the Neve stuff is doing.

We could also make a console comparison day at Lukas studio with his Neumann...
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil View Post
I'm thinking of buying a subwoofer. Has anyone experience with the tb2 and a sub?
Yes.

I had the TB2 + XB-1 (passive) system in my studio for a while and once I'd got used to it I think I was churning out some very well-balanced mixes indeed (so said the ME too!). I felt this system was giving me something close to full-range PMC monitoring at a very reasonable price.

That said, the TB2's on their own are capable of some astoundingly well-balanced bass when paired with a good amp and sited on decent stands in a properly treated room.

But if you absolutely have to hear that last octave and hear it loud then a sub is the only way to go IMHO. Get a decent power amp too - the XB-1 will eat up every Watt you can throw at it! My dealer reckoned 300W per side as a bare minimum for this system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
You are right.

But I think it would be wrong to dismiss such excellent monitors on these grounds alone; there are many very well-respected monitors that do not have this sort of tweakability and, it can be argued, do not need it. I'd suggest that time spent on placement and money invested in decent stands + room treatment is a more useful route to neutrality. All monitors benefit greatly from attention to these areas - PMC's in particular.
Old 14th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
yes, i added the TLE-1 sub to my TB2SA last year and have been LOVIN it ever since!

if you take the time to set it up properly with your speakers and room it integrates seamlessly.

someone is selling one here on GS right now, check the classifieds.

DO IT!
That would be...me!

And it's still available !
Old 15th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann View Post
All monitors benefit greatly from attention to these areas - PMC's in particular.
agreed. I find my TB2s+'s to be sensitive to my room acoustics.
Old 17th February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonwerker View Post
Count me in guys - just like to know how the Neve stuff is doing.

We could also make a console comparison day at Lukas studio with his Neumann...
WORD
Old 4th March 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
The B-15a's are great if you have room to spread them out. If they are too close it really effects the stereo image (more then most speakers it seams)... When spread it is wonderful. A thing of beauty.
Damn it - you're right. I've got BM15a in a fairly small room and I struggle with the image - its taken a LOT of moving things around to get something satisfying.
Old 5th March 2009
Gear Nut

I've got to stand up for the Dynaudio BM15a's-
Yeah they are "warm" in the lower mids (read "tubby"), and I have to really work on mic positioning to get a great image, but once you are used to them, they are very listenable- for hours without fatigue. The hyper-realistic imaging often comes from metal dome tweeters, which are rough on your ears especially if you are trying to EQ/compress in a more commercial style.
Old 17th June 2009
Here for the gear

Hi, just picked up on this thread and i must say i own the TB2SAs and they sound incredibly detailed as well in the highs as the lows. They are super accurate but do take getting used to because of the way the basses are projected. It's bottom ends got so much info that it does take getting used to and sounds completely different from other monitors I've heard.
Old 17th June 2009
Lives for gear
When I were shopping for monitors, I tested the K+H O300, Focal Twin 6Be's, ADAM S3A's (old model) and the PMC TB2A's. I liked the O300's but found 'em a bit boring, which is a negative since I both compose and mix on my monitors, and they also had trouble fitting into my small budget. heh I don't like the ADAM's at all, and I really like the Focals, especially at their price (I still have the Focals). But back on topic...

If I had the cash at that time, I'd have gotten the PMC's. To me, they were my first real experience with a "hi-end" monitor. Their stereo imaging and sense of detail is awesome and their all round response seems very accurate. They seem to me as if their midrange is SLIGHTY scooped/odd but still extremely detailed - they sound different from the other monitors I tested, but in the end I really, really liked 'em. Too bad they were a tad too expensive for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search