The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SCA C84 question...Michael? Anyone else?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

SCA C84 question...Michael? Anyone else?

Posted elsewhere....sorry..

Michael,

I know you've been asked about the SCA C84's quite a bit already, but I'd love to know what instruments you've found them usefull on. I've been saving up for a pair of them, and want to get an idea of how flexable they are, given that for the time being, they would be my only true "high end" preamps. Drum overheads? Electric guitars? I just want to get a feel for some things I could use them on before I take the plunge. Thanks!
Old 2nd August 2005
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaldo
Posted elsewhere....sorry..

Michael,

I know you've been asked about the SCA C84's quite a bit already, but I'd love to know what instruments you've found them usefull on. I've been saving up for a pair of them, and want to get an idea of how flexable they are, given that for the time being, they would be my only true "high end" preamps. Drum overheads? Electric guitars? I just want to get a feel for some things I could use them on before I take the plunge. Thanks!
They probably are a great choice for a first set of pres because they are very transparent and don't have a lot of color, compared to the other modules SCA makes. I use them on everything clean, vocals, OH, acoustic guitar, percussion etc. I don't think you'd make a mistake getting a pair of those, especially since you can extend your range later with other more colorful modules for relatively low $$s.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks Michael!
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

sorry to bug...

I've got an email into Tim, too...

These aren't for sale yet, are they?

thanks!

kb
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thearnicasync
I've got an email into Tim, too...

These aren't for sale yet, are they?

thanks!

kb
Nope.
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
They probably are a great choice for a first set of pres because they are very transparent and don't have a lot of color, compared to the other modules SCA makes. I use them on everything clean, vocals, OH, acoustic guitar, percussion etc. I don't think you'd make a mistake getting a pair of those, especially since you can extend your range later with other more colorful modules for relatively low $$s.

Hey Michael.

I was wondering about the J99`s.

I`d gathered they`re somewhat inspired by the Hardy pres so I`d figured they were on the clean side too.

How do they compare in their cleanliness ? heh

Are they similar or should I get both like a good Slut should ?
Old 4th August 2005
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Hey Michael.

I was wondering about the J99`s.

I`d gathered they`re somewhat inspired by the Hardy pres so I`d figured they were on the clean side too.
How do they compare in their cleanliness ? heh
Yes they are, slightly different character though. IMO the 99s are very "fast" like the Hardys with a very slight (!) midrange dip. The 84s are a bit smoother/rounder on the front end and have a bit more midrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc
Are they similar or should I get both like a good Slut should ?
You know my answer to that question
Old 4th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwagener
You know my answer to that question

Heheh.

Cool. Thanks MW ! thumbsup
Old 10th October 2005
Gear Maniac

I just got and assembled a pair of these things, and they're great. Nice and clean with tons of gain. Perfect for my SM7.
Old 10th October 2005
Lives for gear

Of all things... the C84 has become my new favorite 2nd pre on Electric Bass!!!

I split the signal (with an IB1), one goes to the LTD-1 and the other to the C84. The C84 channel hits the distressor, and I blend the two. LOVE IT!!! Out of the 4 SCA pre's (N72, A12, J99, C84), the C84 is my favorite in this application. The low end is ample, and super clean and accurate. Blended in with the warmth of the LTD-1... oh man!!! It's lovely!

I also love the C84 alone on Acoustic Guitars, clean vocals, etc.

I agree with Michael in that this would be a FANTASTIC choice for 1st preamp. I didn't expect to love it as much as the other 3 since it's so cheap... but right away... it's getting LOT's of use round here!!

Great work Tim!!!
Old 10th October 2005
mds
Lives for gear

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the C84 based on? I know where they're going with the A12, N72, J99, but C84 doesn't register anything in my mind.

Mike
Old 10th October 2005
Gear Maniac

Tim specifically cited the Millenia HV3C as "An expensive preamp with similar specifications."
Old 10th October 2005
Lives for gear

OK, so Tim said the Millenia had similar specs. Can somebody compare the sound of the C84 to the Millenia or other similar clean preamps? Grace? Sytek?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search