The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Chandler Mini Rack Mixer
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Chandler Mini Rack Mixer

Hallo, slutz.
I'm thinking about purchasing Chandler's Mini Rack Mixer, but would like to have your opinions.Anybody heard it in action?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Same here, very curious and almost ready to buy one.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Guru

Be sure to demo one first..
I had a demo here for a month..along with the API mixer..
Put it through it's paces..
I wanted so badly to like that thing..Love the other Chandler stuff!
Was very dissapointed..
The TG mixer sounded thin compared to the API[which had more headroom as well] and plain old ITB
..straight unprocessed stems and individual tracks.
to this this day,I still wanna think it was defective...But my ears didn't lie.
I have the stereo mix files and revisit them from time to time.. and still can't believe the thing was working properly.
good luck.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

not to sound negative, but a midas venice is more useful
and is probably around the same price if not cheaper!!!
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

I got one and like it very much!!

Haven`t had the chance to compare it with api`s or others like RoundBadge has, but I sure don`t think the Chandler sounds thin, quite oposite in fact....

And my ears don`t lie either...

Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

I'm only 1/2 qualified to comment as I don't have the mixer
BUT
I did purchase two vertical TG channels and two vertical Compressors in a rack with an external ps. They sound terrific! I'll never sell them. Different flavor than Neve or API but every bit as useful. I can't comment on whatever 2 bus circuitry Chandler has created for the mini mixer, but it's hard to believe they'd compromise the performance of these awesome modules with subpar circuitry down the line.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

And any other suggestions-line mixer 16x2 in same price range?
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-line
I got one and like it very much!!

Haven`t had the chance to compare it with api`s or others like RoundBadge has, but I sure don`t think the Chandler sounds thin, quite oposite in fact....

And my ears don`t lie either...

I'm really glad to hear you're loving it..
I've got the TG channels and they're amazing..can't get a bad sound out of em.
LTD 1's ....great..recommend them all the time.
I still think the particular unit I demoed had issues.
I'd love to hear some TG mixes sometime.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Head

I just bought the Chandler mini mixer after doing a lot of A/B'ing with the API rack mixer. For me, it wasn't even close...the Chandler was so thick and punchy and added so much emotion to everything I mixed through it. I know it sounds totally corny, but it's true.

I liked the API also....but I thought that it sounded a little pinched on the high end and scooped out overall. I would say that nothing "special" happened when I mixed through it. I guess the best description would be "sterile".

I would say, however, that you should definitely try these units for yourself. There is really no substitute for being able to go back and forth and see what each mixer does to the sound. It makes the "sonic stamp" of each unit very obvious.

Good Luck!!
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Guru

daaaaammmnnnn... one with a thin chandler, another with a sterile api.

i definitely need better drugs, my world is collapsing!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 3rd September 2005
Gear Addict

I had the Chandler in my studio for two weeks. I had high hopes, too high maybe.
It took a while to hear it, compared to the Dangerous and ITB.
Maybe I could descibe the sound as "warmer"... or just "muffled". I perceived a softened midrange and a bit deeper bottom.
Maybe it's the kinda thing you have to get used to and discover it's charms over time.
But for $6K I want a big payoff!

I did like the master section functions...talkback and speaker switch, source select.
And I could see using it for tracking, summing mics etc...

So my hopes for a "gotta-have", "where have you been", "Oh my god" summing box were dashed.

Maybe I've been doing this too long, maybe my ears are stuck.
Next up is the API 8200 mixer, if that don't fly...I'll try the Nicerizer.

A
Old 3rd September 2005
Lives for gear

I'd check out the Manley 16x2 line mixer (also available with all mic inputs or combo of line and mic). Its a little more expensive but if you go to the right dealer you can get a killer deal!!
Old 3rd September 2005
Gear Guru

We're checking a Tonelux setup hopefully in the next week or so..
And AAsa ....FWITW, We found the N- 16 sounded thicker, more musical/warmer than the 8200.
the Manley ,i tried about three years ago..added a weird lower mid bump to everything..passed on it. stike
my realization this past year...
Really missing a full blown console .
Old 9th September 2005
Here for the gear

I've had the Chandler mini mixer for about a month now; used it on mixes ranging from hip hop, rock, and country... it has blown my mind every time a run a mix through it. I run the meters just under 0db for the cleaner R&B stuff... but I run it hot on the more high energy stuff... makes an incredibly dense and rich mix hitting the two-buss hard... I just can't get enough of its honey-coated sound.

haven't compared it against any high end boards, but I've used it with Manley, AMEK, Neve and Focusrite RED gear... it only seems to bring out the best in everything; i might just be smitten, but i wouldn't trade it for the world!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search