The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
RIP KRK Exposé 8
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

RIP KRK Exposé 8

I have heard from reliable sources that KRK has discontinued their flagship Exposé 8 monitor. Seems they were unable to get the tweeter from the original supplier and the speaker never sounded the same with the new one (too harsh I'm told).

Audy O
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Great, Now that means that all this once great company sells is low end crap. Another great company sold to a cheap profit only company and run into the ground.

Where is Keith and what does he think of how they destroyed his company. Oh wait he probably doesn't care since he is now richer than he ever would have been on his own!!!!!!

Cerwin Vega dfegad
Old 1st August 2005

Actually, KRK has some great-sounding low-end speakers. I know you don't care about value, but for their cost, the V series 2 sound really good.

If you have to have French tweeters, there is always Focal....

I wouldn't be suprised if KRK comes out with another High-End monitor in the next 6 months. But, then, Stanton is a bigger company who needs to see some profit in a project.

-tINY

Old 1st August 2005
Gear Nut

You're right, the V Series for the money is a decent buy. Sadly, the Exposé 8 was a excellent sounding and versatile speaker.

The people I really feel sorry for are the Exposé owners who need parts and won't be able to get the original replacement tweeters.

I know a lot of folks who are keeping their KRK 9000s because they haven't found anything to replace them. One is a busy mastering studio in CA.

Let's hope things work out in the long run for Keith and his company.

Audy O
Old 2nd August 2005

That ruined the rest of my day!
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Those were Focal drivers and I believe Focal/JML is making their own powered monitors these days.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

You and me both. What a way to start my morning. The real drag is I have never blow a tweeter because of a loud listening level. It has always been because of some other stupid technical detail or glitch. Looks like I will be muting my monitors every time I leave the console just as insurance!!!!

What a drag, Imagine if Genelec couldn't replace the tweeters in all the 1031's out there. There woudl be a lot of pissed off people.

Michael Greene
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont

Mine too...I was bummed. Maybe we need to consider availability of replacement parts for our speakers when we buy them from now on.

I hope Focal/JML makes replacement parts available for existing owners. If anyone has info. on this, I'm sure it would be appreciated.

Sad to see the demise of one of the better American made speakers.

Audy O
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

hey mike/ex8 users Ray has accesses to focal parts if you can get me a part number i'll see if we cant get a line on replacements
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
ey mike/ex8 users Ray has accesses to focal parts if you can get me a part number i'll see if we cant get a line on replacements
I will call you when I get back into town on the 23rd and run some numbers by you. I am afraid if KRK wasn't hyping it though that these were made custom for the E-7's and E-8's. Sure look like your standard Focal tweeter to me though.

Thanks,
Michael Greene

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search