The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Master Mixdown chain (optimum) opnions, please.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Master Mixdown chain (optimum) opnions, please.

I need some some advice:

I would like your opnions on this mixdown chain (possible future project).

First, I am not mastering, I just want the best mix down to bring into mastering.

I am going to be doing my mixes down to the new Tascam DV-RA and hear how good this DSD sounds (I've done some research and have heard good, "it's the closest thing to analogue tape" type opinions), I'll also A/B that to a back to 24 bit 192k mix down (not bounce) anyway...

Here's my chain, what I like to know is best placement within the chain and any strong opniuons if one element should be left out or something added.

Mixes are all in Pro Tools HD at 24 bit 96k. Already mixed with tracked real Lex verbs, Eventides, Distresssor/Manley and Alan Smart comressiors (some plugs), etc. Mixed to taste.

To get a concole sound (witheth and depth) I go out of the box, I mix by breaking out stems with a Danger ous 2 Buss.

Then my thought is to go to an SSL (or Alan Smart C1 stereo) for a light touch of 2 buss compression.

Then (?) a small touch of SPL Vitalizer for some extra harmonic oomph.,..

Into the tascam DV-RA at DSD.

How does this sound? Shound the Vitalizer come before or after 2 buss compression?

Opinions please and advice, please.

Andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.co,

Old 1st August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo

Then (?) a small touch of SPL Vitalizer for some extra harmonic oomph.,..

Into the tascam DV-RA at DSD.

How does this sound? Shound the Vitalizer come before or after 2 buss compression?

Opinions please and advice, please.

Andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.co,

In my opinion skip the Vitalizer and add an EQ if needed.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

thrill is the man,

but i will tell you i just added a avalon ad2055 eq to a similar set-up

WOW.

Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

thanks and why?

I understand the "add the eq" part, of course and thank you. I've tried to get it to sit well in the mix a long the way. Any additonal EQ will be mroe global at mastering by someone who is listeing to the BIG picture at a Bernie Grundmean or the likes.

So, why not the SPL Vitalizer to add a bitt of clarity, harmonic info, pnuch and the like? Honest question. The results often sound amazing (wehn used subtle).

-andrews

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com

p.s. thanks for the advice everyone
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

And to add...

The reason I ask about the SPL Vitalizer rather than EQ (which I've triend to do along the way), is that the SPL adds harmoic info, punch and a few things that are not the same as what I've already done with EQ.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Andrews
Old 1st August 2005
Quote:
The reason I ask about the SPL Vitalizer rather than EQ (which I've triend to do along the way), is that the SPL adds harmoic info, punch and a few things that are not the same as what I've already done with EQ.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Andrews

Why not?

Most of the SPL stuff i tried has a certain sound to it.

There is a high glassy sheen through it.

Also as cool as what the Vitalizer does it tends to narrow the stereo field a touch.

To me its a better effect in the mix than on it.

It adds missing harmonics?

Its really just a glorified EQ/tone control.

An EQ overall if needed is your best bet(again i stress if needed).

If you don't feel up to the task leave it for mastering.

The trick will be finding a mastering engineer that has a Tascam machine and can read the disks.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Aha!

"The trcik is finding a mastering house that has the Tascam..." Two sapce rack unit, I bring my own! What do ya think?

As for the vitalizer, seems to be the consensus as says the virtual ame thing. So, I must get what I asked for....

Curious though, any technical reason it seems to narrow the stereo field or is this just your feeling or general experience? Truly.

Thanks again for teh advice.

Peace.

Andrews
Old 2nd August 2005
Quote:
"The trcik is finding a mastering house that has the Tascam..." Two sapce rack unit, I bring my own! What do ya think?

In the future you probably won't have to.

Just like ME's adopted the Masterlink standard i see the same for the Tascam machine.

I've also started to look into it as replacement for my Masterlink.

Quote:
"
As for the vitalizer, seems to be the consensus as says the virtual ame thing. So, I must get what I asked for....

Curious though, any technical reason it seems to narrow the stereo field or is this just your feeling or general experience? Truly.

Thanks again for teh advice.

Peace.

Andrews

I can only guess its in its design.

Maybe you can send it to Jim Williams and he can modify it.

Personally i still would pass on it on the mix but in the mix it can be useful.

If you feel the mixes are lacking "air" or "bottomn" look elsewhere and fix it that way.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search