The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on Genelec 1037, 1038 Studio Monitors
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Nut

Opinions on Genelec 1037, 1038

Hi
What do you think about using 1037's and 1038's for mid-field 5.1 monitors. Also using 1037C's for mains/ mid-field.
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I tried the 1037s. I didn't like them. They sounded too good. The whole point of studio monitors is to act like a magnifying glass to the sonic imperfections so you can correct it. With these, it's like looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars.

Don't get me wrong, they ARE very dynamic and detailed, but do so in a way that glosses over imperfections, and leaves you thinking, "this sounds amazing, bounce it to disk!" Then you go and listen on headphones, or in your car, and it still has all of those imperfections, you thought were gone.

Look at them as the opposite end of the spectrum of NS-10s. NS-10s are lo-fi sounding speakers you have to work hard to make your mix sound good. 1037s are hi-fi sounding speakers that make you work hard to make it sound even better. It messes with your ears and your brain, which is why I hate them… and NS-10s. Besides, they're really designed for mastering and not mixing.
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Nut

What would be good "Flat / neutral" mid-fields?
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Maniac
I used 1037b Genelecs for most of the 90s and just listening to great recordings on them was fascinating, revealing a detail of character that showed just how different each track, album and even mastering job that had been done on them (a few harsh CDs making this aspect unpleasantly apparent).

The best recordings I made back then have a level of detail to their sound I haven't achieved since which is why I'm making improvements to my current room and considering monitors once again..
Old 16th March 2010
Gear Maniac
I would definitely consider the 1037s to be "good "Flat / neutral" mid-fields" and don't think that the 1038s necessarily sound better despite the higher price tag. Even better, possibly, would be Tannoy System 15s, if you can find them, and, if you like a slightly softer sweeter tone than the Genelecs. IMHO of course ...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search