The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
+3 out on compressor not enough for a/d in
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

+3 out on compressor not enough for a/d in

when i consistently hit +3 on my compressor's vu meter -all i get into my a/d is about -7 dBfs. (#1) i don't like hitting gear at +3 vu all the time (#2) i normally record into my a/d hotter than -7 dBfs. (#3) i don't want to put another amp into the signal path to record at 0 vu on the compressor and say -4 on the a/d input. what gives?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1
when i consistently hit +3 on my compressor's vu meter -all i get into my a/d is about -7 dBfs. (#1) i don't like hitting gear at +3 vu all the time (#2) i normally record into my a/d hotter than -7 dBfs. (#3) i don't want to put another amp into the signal path to record at 0 vu on the compressor and say -4 on the a/d input. what gives?
What is the compressor you are using?
Why don't you like "hitting gear at +3 all the time"?
Why do you feel necessary to record hotter than -7dbfs?

If you are hitting -7dbfs at +3dbvu on your comp, you are either already using makeup gain somewhere (on the comp maybe) or your converters are calibrated blazing hot, or your meters are off.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, if your A/D converter has a calibration adjustment, try that.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

doug,

>> atomic squeeze box

>> goes against logic, thats the max limit of the device and i'd have to hit that level all the time to get -7 input on the A/D?

>> because there's alot more headroom left - i'd like to be able to record hotter than -7 if needed

you are either already using makeup gain somewhere (on the comp maybe)
>> yes on the compressor

your converters are calibrated blazing hot, or your meters are off
>> can i calibrate a rosetta 200? if so i'd definitely like to do so (the users manual not detailed on this). the vu on the compressor probably is not off

thanks for help..
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1
doug,

>> atomic squeeze box

>> goes against logic, thats the max limit of the device and i'd have to hit that level all the time to get -7 input on the A/D?

>> because there's alot more headroom left - i'd like to be able to record hotter than -7 if needed

you are either already using makeup gain somewhere (on the comp maybe)
>> yes on the compressor

your converters are calibrated blazing hot, or your meters are off
>> can i calibrate a rosetta 200? if so i'd definitely like to do so (the users manual not detailed on this). the vu on the compressor probably is not off

thanks for help..

I haven't used the atomic squeeze, box, but knowing that is a high dollar comp, I'm guessing that it can handle signal input up to about +18-24 dbvu. It may impart some different sonic characteristics at that point, but my guess is that you still have plenty of room to push it harder and use more makeup gain.

Your rosetta is probably calibrated hot enough. However, there probably is a way to calibrate it.

"theoretically" you don't have plenty of headroom left on your A/D at -7dbfs.

YOu may want to do a search on how hard to hit your a/d. . different strokes for different folks, but in a traditional multi track situation, if you are PEAKING at -10dbfs you are more than hot enough...and probably have a better chance of retaining transient info and not overdriving analog gear on the way in....and avoiding the end result of turning down the channel fader during the mix because with all the faders turned up and not restructuring your gain on your daw, your too hot on the 2bus.

but you may have a different opinion.

good luck
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

doug,

but my guess is that you still have plenty of room to push it harder and use more makeup gain.
>> if i'm already hitting +3 vu on the compressor's output meter why do i need more input signal and makeup gain?

if you are PEAKING at -10dbfs you are more than hot enough
>> -10 is 1/2 way on the rosetta scale for peaks - that means most of the audio would be -12, -16, -20dBfs. is that correct? there's only 2 lights left below -20.

again, thanks for help..
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Wow! I just looked at the A/D calibration section on page 10 of the Rosetta 200 manual; I guess they didn't assume some of us might not be techs.

This is all you get:
Attached Thumbnails
+3 out on compressor not enough for a/d in-picture-1.png  
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

run a 1k test tone into the comp, hit bypass, and adjust the level of the tone until the comp is outputting 0dbVU. this should be lighting up your a/d at roughly -14dbfs; -16 is conservative, -12 is peppy, -10 is aggressive.

bear in mind you're hitting an analog section in the converters before the actual a/d occurs, and how hard you drive it affects the tone. my experience with most converters is that they don't do well when pushed hard, probably because they were optimized for the standard calibration (above).

i've used the original rosetta, and the sweet spot was definitely when it was averaging -14dbfs.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Wow! I just looked at the A/D calibration section on page 10 of the Rosetta 200 manual; I guess they didn't assume some of us might not be techs.

This is all you get:

what that does is change the scale of the meters to a very small range so that you can be precise with exactly what level you're reading. this is useful when calibrating per my post below.

i agree, if that's all the manual gives you it's not helpful at all!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

thanks for the clarification. I was expecting the 200 to be configured like the 800:
Attached Thumbnails
+3 out on compressor not enough for a/d in-picture-3.png  
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

The Squeezebox should have a little switch on the back panel for balanced/unbalanced. I think it's for the inputs, but it might be for the outputs. Not sure on that part.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search