The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
B&W spkrs in studios? Studio Monitors
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

B&W spkrs in studios?

Hello. I have been hanging around the GS forums for a while and I seem to remember a few people recommending B&W spkrs for mixing and mastering. So I thought I'd do some research, and I 'm sorry if I am wrong,but aren't B&W spkrs mostly for home theaters? I remember hearing about B&W years ago as being "pro" studio monitors,but even though there are some really sweet photos of these spkrs in some REALLY nice studios on the B&W site,they seem to be mostly for home theater.

Would you,or do any of you use these spkrs for mixing/mastering?

Just curious.

foamboy
Old 29th April 2009
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
Hello. I have been hanging around the GS forums for a while and I seem to remember a few people recommending B&W spkrs for mixing and mastering. So I thought I'd do some research, and I 'm sorry if I am wrong,but aren't B&W spkrs mostly for home theaters? I remember hearing about B&W years ago as being "pro" studio monitors,but even though there are some really sweet photos of these spkrs in some REALLY nice studios on the B&W site,they seem to be mostly for home theater.

Would you,or do any of you use these spkrs for mixing/mastering?

Just curious.

foamboy
Personally, I think that there are better speakers and companies if you are in the USA. B&W's is known for forcing dealers to spend loads on huge buy-ins, building out stores, etc, forcing them into bankruptcy. It happened to a nice guy here in KC.

Their are only certain models that would be good for mixing and mastering. Some people swear by the older 801s. To me they have undefined bass and the cabinets are crap. If you try to tighten the LF drivers (which do work themselves loose) it is not hard to bust the wood with the metal insert bites into.

Depending on the model, they can be very, very inefficient and hard to drive. Some of the models drop to 1.5 ohms which is not great.

As for value, they are hugely inflated. Most dealers make a 50-60% margin, which is too high for what you get.

I vote pass, but someone will follow to say how great they are. To each his own.
Old 29th April 2009
Gear maniac

I had the old B&W Matrix 801s series 3. They sound AMAZING !!!!! But its important you get the series 3, which sounds better than the other ones.

And the price of a used set is insane low...
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

The larger models (802,801,800s) are used quite frequently in mastering rooms. They are a standard in classical mixing / post studios as well.

Like most speaker makers who live in both worlds, I'm sure B&W makes most of their $ from audiophile home users. Pro users have always been there but there aren't enough of us to justify a larger business.

-Silas
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

I use B&W's in both my mixing room and mastering room... they're great speakers that translate well to the real world. Albini has been using them to mix for years as well as a few other top mixing engineers...
Attached Thumbnails
B&W spkrs in studios?-mastering-room.jpg   B&W spkrs in studios?-mix-room.jpg  
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Silvertone,what do you use to power the ones in your mix room? I only consider the B&W because I am mostly composing classical and new age/classical,so these are an option,I think.

Thanks,
foamboy
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

The 801 and 802 are great speakers and work very well for orchestral and general classical use. They are a little big for location work though although there are those who still bring them on location.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamboy View Post
Silvertone,what do you use to power the ones in your mix room? I only consider the B&W because I am mostly composing classical and new age/classical,so these are an option,I think.

Thanks,
foamboy
I have two different amps that I use (three really as a pair I use as mono blocks). For solid state I use a Hafler 9505 but on occasion I just feel like using tube amps and I have two highly modded Dynaco ST70's.

I have owned in the past JBL 4411's, Westlake Audio BBSM10's, Yamaha NS10M's, Tannoy Golds & Little Red's, Tannoy NFM8's, Paradigm Studio 20's (still have these as well), B&W N805's and N802's. I've mixed on... well you name it but Pro-Ac 100's were some of my favorites as well. Oh and I just bought a second pair (first ones burned up in a fire) Barefoot MM27's.

IMHO, you really can't go wrong with the B&W's but as you can see (and hear) there are many options out there.

I'd recommend B&W N805's (keep in mind I use them with a Velodyne sub as well to extend the low frequency... don't always have it on but it's nice to have to check subsonics every now and again), ProAc 100's (some of my favorite speakers for tracking and mixing... very picky about power amps though) and for a new favorite the Barefoot MM27's. Mixes seem to translate very well on the speakers as well.

Good luck in your search. A reputable dealer/manufacturer might let you try them in your own place... which is the best way to test speakers. PMC let me as did Quested and Tannoy in the past.
Old 29th April 2009
Gear interested

B&W 805s

I use 805s as my second pair (ATC 110's as my primary monitors). I really like them and find they translate well for what I do.

A few engineers I really trust use 805s. Richard Travali uses 805s these days for mixing - his mixes sound amazing so it obviously works for him. He uses a fancy amp but I can't remember what. Maybe Richard can chime in if he's on this site.

Henry Hirsch uses 805s as well as a secondary pair to his ATCs. (SCM 200s).
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Larry, just looking at the first photo with the B&W's on the floor. Ever think about getting them up in the air and angling them to avoid some of the gear/desk reflections? I see an open space between desk and side racks but still wondering if you get interference with that setup. I see plenty of setup pics here that have moniters behind or partally blocked by LCD screens too.
Old 29th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Larry, just looking at the first photo with the B&W's on the floor. Ever think about getting them up in the air and angling them to avoid some of the gear/desk reflections? I see an open space between desk and side racks but still wondering if you get interference with that setup. I see plenty of setup pics here that have moniters behind or partally blocked by LCD screens too.
They are actually 7" higher than in those photo's... and they are angled in between the racks and the console (the photo is taken at an angel that doesn't show that)... I really need to take some new pictures.

I built 2' high "low boy" racks to each side and the gap between them and the console is pretty wide. Also when I built the console, I decided to leave the back completely open (I've learned over the years you are always back there anyway) so the sound "comes through it" a bit. The angle of the console is the same as my old Neve BCM 10... the only time I get a funky reflection is if I lay my head down on the console... now depending on what I'm mastering this could actually happen : )

Thanks for being so observant and the suggestions!
Old 29th April 2009
Gear nut

I have worked in a company and we carried the distribution of serveral hifi brands (home audio usually called), as Focal, Triangle, Elac...and also Hi-end amps as Thorens, Moon... and i can tell you that it is more almost same-more important the amp than the drivers. without this B&W an the rest are not so accurate...you can not use the same amplifier with which you feed Ns.10's!!!
Nobody ever talk about this!
2 cents

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search