The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which guitar pick for a CK 12 capsule...?
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Nut

As someone who has played guitar professionally for an awfully long time now, I find conversations like this bordering on OCD. I'm sure there are those who find it necessary to change their pick for every given stylistic occasion. Me, I use a Dunlop black nylon extra heavy pick for everything. it works for me. If I want a different attack I vary how firmly I hold the pick. But, hey, whatever floats your boat. This does, however, seem an argument for "It's not the arrow, it's the indian."

Just saying,

Dan Carter

Oh, and I forgot to add, This IS the funniest thread I've seen on GS in recent memory. We have a new formula: pick gauge to mic ratio! AWESOME!!!
Old 30th April 2009
Here for the gear

"I'm sorry. The lead vocalist in your band doesn't sound good with my microphone. Fire him, and get a new one that sounds good with my CK-12."

As a guitarist, you're either getting a good sound from your playing or you're not. No mic will fix that.

Choose a pick that makes your playing sound it's best.
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

The OBVIOUS next question is:

Nickel plated or stainless steel strings for a CK12 capsule? Oh yeah, doesn't matter what kind of mic the CK12 is in, BTW!
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Picks, smicks... What's really important is the daily weather.

I will not record happy major key music during cold or cloudy weather. That is saved for the minor key compositions.

Conversly, I will not record sad minor key music during a sunny day, the mood isn't right for that.

I don't work at night.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Right on about the influence of weather, Jim. However, for working at night get some cheap Chinese condensorator mics, because they are really, really bright.

HTH
Old 30th April 2009
Ngr
Gear Maniac

it's amazing that there is someone who's spending his time posing himself this kind of absolutely insane questions.
please man, come back to earth and make some music
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Guru

A thread about which pick goes with a CK 12 capsule has been going on for a day and a half and I only just stumbled into it!

all the good sarcastic replies are used up!

damn!
Old 30th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank alrich View Post
Right on about the influence of weather, Jim. However, for working at night get some cheap Chinese condensorator mics, because they are really, really bright.

HTH
heh - awesome
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
While picks are an important part of the guitar player's sound... does anyone else find it a bit odd talking about the possibility of changing picks in order to suit a microphone?

Maybe I'm just old... but I think it should be the other way around. You get the sound you want from the instrument and then pick the appropriate transduction device to capture the sound produced by the instrument/player/pick combination.

I dunno... just a thought. Not necessarily a good one.

Peace.
I agree that getting the sound source correct and choosing the best transducer second is the way to go.
Old 30th April 2009
Lives for gear

You know there's hope in the world when 3 pages of which pick to use is mostly common sense, snark and sarcasm and not, as I dreaded when I ventured back in, 3 pages of classic GSBS recommendations. Put the goddamn mic up already and press record, I'm getting sleepy.

That this thread is in High End makes it much more luscious.
Old 30th April 2009
Gear Head

“Ive gotten picky about picks as a player and for recording but having tracked all day purely for fun with my 414 Ive come to a delimma. I always like a nylon dunlop for playing electric and am VERY used to that pick (the light grey almost white) BUT its too tame on acoustic.”

With respect!

Personally, I wouldn’t think about C12 capsule mics in regard to this matter, in quite the manner you appear to have done in presenting this question, and absolutely, they would not be my first choice for micing an Acc Guitar, to get the character of sound I believe you are seeking. But I think it is really a problem in presenting a question.

I think you are asking a question that extremely difficult to describe and convey in words over the internet, and only those that have sought ‘perfect sound’ will understand what your aspiration is for Acoustic Guitar Tonality.

Irregardless the principal is. Get your Acc Guitar sound tonally perfect first.

Then pick your microphone/s accordingly.

To answer your question directly.

It is my notion that the superlative quality of sound you are seeking to attain can only be truly afforded by using a TORTOISE SHELL Plectrum.

They have always been my preferred plectrum of choice for Acc Lead Guitar.

Full Bodied sound with consumate Clarity.

Absolute Tonal Projection.

No 'thinness of sound' or even any 'plectrum noise' at all, so they are absolutely great for recording with.

I HATE hearing the sound of a Plectrum in a recording. To me it is utterly unacceptable.

The problem for you is that this type of Plectrum is unavailable as it is illegal to sell this type of Plectrum these days.

So unless you had stacks of spare supplies from years past, and took care of your Plectrums in a professional manner, you are stymied.

The good news is that someone has attempted to replicate the qualities of a Tortoise Shell Plectrum and done a fairly reasonable job I am happy to inform you.

They are made from polymerised animal protein, which is very close chemically to real tortoise shell.

Like real tortoise shell, it is completely organic.

You could look at it as cultured tortoise shell.

Tortis Picks Europe - Cultured Tortoise Shell

Tortis Picks Europe - Cultured Tortoise Shell

I trust this of some assistance to you.

Good luck with your recording.

P
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

the day i pay $20 for a pick, seeing that i lose them like crazy.who doesn't!, is the day i pull a pete townsend on my beloved axe.nope.can't see myself doing it. just mo, of course
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Addict

Every guy has his girl, but guitar players have their pick!
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank alrich View Post

HTH
If you use a Chinese mic, you'll want to retrack it a half hour later.
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Maniac

A real tortoise-shell pick (on the thicker side) is the loveliest pick I've used; been using them for decades. Nothing else is the same. They're illegal now, but you can find them.
Old 1st May 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Speaking of toroise shell, today is the 25th anniversary of teenage mutant ninja turtles...
"Heroes in a half shell..plectrum power"
Old 1st May 2009
Tim
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
If you use a Chinese mic, you'll want to retrack it a half hour later.
Or use a felt pick.
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Head

The "big boys" know what I'm talkin' about.
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickmill View Post
The "big boys" know what I'm talkin' about.
Old 1st May 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
but would pick a mic after the pick had been picked.

Peace.
But then again; buying a bunch of picks is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of high end condensers... heh

M
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfighter View Post
But then again; buying a bunch of picks is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of high end condensers... heh

M
You just gave me a great idea.

Show us your guitar pick collection, 2009!
Old 1st May 2009
Lives for gear

So after all this, what IS the best pick for the CK12 capsule?

-R
Old 2nd May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
Willis?
Old 2nd May 2009
outofphase
What about using an CK12 as a guitar pick?

Personally, I prefer the sound of an M7 as a guitar pick, it sounds more warm.heh

BTW, This is the lamest post ever!
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepapagold View Post
Yes Fletcher you are old and apparently NOT a guitar player. Its not just the cap its obviously more a reference to the top end.

Ive been playing guitar for well over 20 years. The ENTIRE REASON I bought a CK 12 cap based mic was for my acoustic guitar (and clients too obviously but more for my acoustic). It represents the emotion better than any other mic Ive tried- period. Switch mics to account for a tiny issue with pick attack??? Please Fletch, go have a shot on me and relax!

Im actually surprised at your confusion... Every SINGLE session player I know chooses his pick to fit the situation- not the other way around. I though you had worked with some session guys before... You seem to be confused that the mic is the only tool... maybe ask some serious players first...

But thanks everyone for all the replies! Especially the guitar players who actually understand the question....
Well I'm a guitar player and a serious one. I agree with Fletcher (AGAIN???). I thought it was a joke thread and needs to be a joke thread.

The session player chooses his pick to suit the song and to suit his comfort and technique. NOT to suit the mic. And if he does, that's OK, but my god. This is just more than a little too anal for my tastes. I'd rather you be more concerned with your technique or chord voicing or dynamics. THOSE are far more real issues.
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Addict

Well I've been gone a couple of weeks and I must say this is entertaining to say the least!

When I set up my guitar rig in the studio the very last thing in do is set up a pick ROW...........not a pile. It usually consist of about a dozen favorite choices.
In my mind, at least, they are in a specific order usually from darker to brighter, thicker to thinner, tone wise. I find you can't globally say a thinner pic has a brighter sound. I play some really thick picks and some of them are so bright they will draw blood. Picks are diffidently tools.
As far as a mic....I'm gonna get the sound I want no matter what mic you throw up there. Don't get me wrong, I love working with great mics, it makes my job much easier, but I'm not going to put a guitar track down that doesn't sound right to me.
I'll bet I can get a great sounding track changing picks and guitars faster than most changing mics.
I have 18 guitars and about 30 amps ranging from 2300 McIntosh to a Gibson G20 and about 150 different picks and about 40 or 50 different pedals.
Looks like a blow out to me.
By the way, did I say I prefer GREAT sounding mics!!!!!!!!!!!
Larry
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
So its interesting to hear people say the pick doesn't matter when the platinum artists and session players disagree... Ill go with them to be honest!
OK. This is great. Now you've thrown out the vague generalities all over the place and forever. WHO SPECIFICALLY are these plantinum, grammy artists and session players you're referring to? Just so we know what heavy weights we're dealing with here. You can have a platinum artist who doesn't know jack too, you know? Or not. So tell me. I'm curious.
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
What about using an CK12 as a guitar pick?

Personally, I prefer the sound of an M7 as a guitar pick, it sounds more warm.heh
Now that is the best sarcastic response in this thread.
Old 2nd May 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
So after all this, what IS the best pick for the CK12 capsule?

the one that allows you to name drop platinum artists in Grammy level sessions and studios... without actually dropping any names.

what I'm puzzled by is why the platinum session players and Grammy level engineers weren't simply consulted. surely they would know more than a bunch of guys who've never run a Grammy level session?

gregory scott - ubk
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

What kind of screws should I use in the bottom of my fx pedals? Which ones give you the best tone?
Old 2nd May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im off to studio A where the rooms tail and top end remove any care I had for the "pick attack"... But don't worry Ill be back to mix it up with some more ridiculously ignorant responses tomorrow!
...:crickets:...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search