The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Daking eq for mastering.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Head

Daking eq for mastering.

I was wondering if anyone is using the daking eq for mastering or on the stereo buss.
I know it's a wonderfull tracking pre/eq but how does it sound on program material?
thanx much.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Guru

are you looking to your 2 mix or actually for mastering others work?

me's use more powerful mastering eqs with more control, repeatability and better imaging than a pair of tracking eq's ... but if you have a pair of eqs available for broad strokes on a 2 mix, go for it!

(i'll use tracking/mixing eqs for broad strokes or just IN (no eq) for their color ... in combination with more powerful eq's.)
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I love the Daking EQs, but they are too colored for mastering. For mastering, you want something smooth, transparent and something with detents preferably, in maybe .5db steps. I always believe the addage that doing your own mastering is like doing your own dentistry, because even the best engineers in the world go to a real mastering guy in a real mastering room. A decent solution for the recording studio though that is fairly idiot proof, where you can't destroy the mix terribly is the NTI EQ3. You don't have the pin point accuracy, but the EQ points are sensible and you should be able to makes thing more listenable on a civilian stereo with a fair amount of ease.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I wouldn't use them for mastering, not enough control. They sound fine on a mix though, used as line amps, or boosting cutting a db here and there. You can easily overdo it though so use caution.
Sean

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search