The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Royer R-121's are on guitar amps
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Royer R-121's are on guitar amps

Hey, what technique has given you more success with these mics on guitar amps... close mic'ing or putting the mic a few feet off the amp? What other mics do you like to blend with the Royer's? I recorded some guitars with the Royer about 2 to 3 feet off the amp and a 57 right up on the grill and it sounded pretty good. Any thoughts?
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Normally it's something like 20cm from the center of the cone where I put the R-121. I'd like to blend a SM57 sometimes, but in that case I will use a IBP to allign the phase of both mics. Very hard to make it work without one of those...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 30th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
Normally it's something like 20cm from the center of the cone where I put the R-121. I'd like to blend a SM57 sometimes, but in that case I will use a IBP to allign the phase of both mics. Very hard to make it work without one of those...

Greetings,
Dirk
I did it for years without a IBP with good results. Send some pink noise through the amp and find the best place to put the R121 (or whatever) and then put the 57 (or whatever) out of phase and place it on the same speaker in the pace were most of the pink is canceled out then flip the phase back.

Works like a charm or you can live with the phase issues as they are because that can sound cool on it's own. If you use the phase right it can be a bit of an EQ for you but that can work against you as well.

I got my IBP a while back but I have not tried it yet, the IBP will make things much easier I am sure but it is possible to do all of this without it you just loose the optimum placement on one of the mics..

To the original thread, I think most people are using them pretty close to the grill like a 57 but whatever works for you and the player / amp. Check out the thread Michael Wagener was talking about the R121 a few days back.....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search