The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cleaner Front End
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Cleaner Front End

I've got an LA-610 and I replaced the stock 12AX7 tubes with some Telefunkens. I do VO work and it's killer on the imaging for Rock stations and for hard sell commercials like car dealers. I'm looking for an additional front end that is a little cleaner for other commercials that don't need to be as aggressive. I was thinking about maybe a Grace 101 and a Distressor. Price range is about $2000. I only need one channel. I'm open to any and all options. I appreciate the input.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

i know its a bit overbudget but how about a pendulum quartet?
joshua
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Sweet

Man that is a sweet lookin' box! Just have to save a little more. But hey, if ya want the good stuff that's the price ya pay right. What about a Langevin DVC?
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO-Guy
I've got an LA-610 and I replaced the stock 12AX7 tubes with some Telefunkens. I do VO work and it's killer on the imaging for Rock stations and for hard sell commercials like car dealers. I'm looking for an additional front end that is a little cleaner for other commercials that don't need to be as aggressive. I was thinking about maybe a Grace 101 and a Distressor. Price range is about $2000. I only need one channel. I'm open to any and all options. I appreciate the input.
#

Then I won't go for the Distressor. Definitely has a tendancy to make things more aggressive...

Good luck,
Dirk
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Man that is a sweet lookin' box! Just have to save a little more. But hey, if ya want the good stuff that's the price ya pay right. What about a Langevin DVC?
the langevin is a good box, but imho the pendulum is awfully hard to top. one of the nice things is you can use each part of the channel strip independently. i would think the de-esser would be very helpful in voice over applications as well.
joshua
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

The guys down at JHPA in Charlotte have been sneaking useage of my API pres when I leave them at the studio (which is totally cool with me) and they've been freaking out over them. On most occasions, they're using ATIs, which sound pretty good in a fairly uncolored sort of way. I don't do a ton of VO work myself, but I still think it's pretty hard to beat an LA4 for that "Movie Phone guy" compression.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Short list

Thanks for all the responses I really apprecaite it! So it looks like for now my shortlist is...

1). Pendulum Quartet
2). API's
3). Langevin DVC

Anyone wanna toss in anything else? My mike by the way is going to be a Gefell M930. Should be picking that up soon. Currently using a Rode NTK with a Mullard tube.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I dont do VO work really, but I do have to record stuff sometimes that is STUPID quiet, with a really clean front end, like an "audio microscope" type scenario. Like grain being poured over cardboard.... Made to sound like an avalanche...

The millenia stuff worked really well, and the top of the line Grace pre worked REALLY well. Tons of gain and dead quiet. Couple that with a short shotgun, and you can record ants walking.....
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

I think a used STT-1 by Millennia would be cool for clean VO work. Nice Opto fet/tube compressor and some subtle options on the input with the twin topology and transformer. That's around $2000.

Good EQ to boot.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Millennia

What about the Milennia HV-3C?
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Nut

I'm also a LA-610 owner, and I was wondering what improvements you noticed with the upgraded tubes?

Thanks...

Doug

Quote:
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Telefunkens

It gave it a nice 3-D soundstage with good bass and nice open air at the top end. Picked mine up from Brent at audiotubes.com. Great guy and he will definintely steer you in the right direction. He recommended the Telefunkens to me because of the Mullard tube in the Rode. Tell him your setup and he'll make some great recommendations for ya. Plus he has a 30 day return policy! Can't beat it!
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
It gave it a nice 3-D soundstage with good bass and nice open air at the top end. Picked mine up from Brent at audiotubes.com. Great guy and he will definintely steer you in the right direction. He recommended the Telefunkens to me because of the Mullard tube in the Rode. Tell him your setup and he'll make some great recommendations for ya. Plus he has a 30 day return policy! Can't beat it!
I did same in opposite way.

Genuine NOS Telefunken (from 1964) tube to NTK (actually it made NTK sound very suitable for female vocals and sometimes it is preferred over 10 times expenisver mics) and Mullards to 610. Overall sound is greatly improved, although I still look for better pre (Pendulum or DW Fearn in view).
Several pairs of NOS Telefunken's, Amperex or Mullards 803S is 'must have' for studio when you get new tube gear. They got apparently costlier over time, but after 2-3k spent on gear it has sense to find winning combination with right tubes (although it's a little bit like gambling).

GYang
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have had the "worst" tubes really bring a piece of gear to life. In a GT MD1 I put a 12AX7 that was found in a TV set at the DUMP and it brought that mic to life like crazy. like a poor mans U67, but with more charachter and drive that sits perfectly for a male rock vocal with a little edge to it. Just the most awesome round, warm drive. The harder you yell at it, the darker it gets, which I love.

The UA 2-610 I have I thought to be boring and tubby until I threw a pair of GE tubes in the 12a---- section, and that really opened the box up. I am about to re-cap the whole thing with some decent capacitors, for a little more snap as well. I had a pair of original 610 channels and they were really "hard" like a V76, rather than slow and tubbed out....

I think something discrete and high end would suit you well, regardless.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

I also thought about trying some 1950's Mullard Longplates or some Amperex 1960's OEM Tubes in the LA to see how they sound and a Siemens or Amperex Bugleboy in the Rode. Would be interesting to see how the different combinations sound.
Old 1st August 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey Slutz! Thanks for all the suggestions. Since it doesn't have to be bought today I think I'm gonna save for the Pendulum. Of course then I've gotta look for something else as well after the Pendulum. Maybe a Rosetta 200? After all, I am such a Slut! Thanks again for all the input.
Old 1st August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Hamilton
I have had the "worst" tubes really bring a piece of gear to life. In a GT MD1 I put a 12AX7 that was found in a TV set at the DUMP and it brought that mic to life like crazy. like a poor mans U67, but with more charachter and drive that sits perfectly for a male rock vocal with a little edge to it. Just the most awesome round, warm drive. The harder you yell at it, the darker it gets, which I love.

The UA 2-610 I have I thought to be boring and tubby until I threw a pair of GE tubes in the 12a---- section, and that really opened the box up. I am about to re-cap the whole thing with some decent capacitors, for a little more snap as well. I had a pair of original 610 channels and they were really "hard" like a V76, rather than slow and tubbed out....

I think something discrete and high end would suit you well, regardless.
Hmmm........I've got an old tube reel to reel in my storage building. I'm gonna have to check that puppy out!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search