The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)
Old 30th October 2005
Gear Head

same here..

it was great to see the studio, and of course to meet many of the gearslutz..

i'lll upload the pictures within the next days and will post them
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

Here come the piccies heh .

First you see the entry and the bar. In the third picture, Wilfried, one of the owners, is explaining interaction between left and right brain and why 384kHz will be the standard in a couple of years.
I found his eplanation very interesting and the fact that the guy has a deep urge to strive for perfection, which Galaxy is prove of in every way, I have no doubt to believe that he can hear an improvement with higher sample rates...

More piccies to come...

Greetings,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-galaxy-entry.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-galaxy-bar.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-wilfried-left-right-brain.jpg  
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

Next piccies:

1 the famous Galaxy Hall, very impressive.
2 the Neve VR
3 the racks in the Neve VR room, drule
4 the API Ronald Prent works on, more on this baby later...
5 and appaerantly if you can have everything you want, there is room for a TLA tube thingy .

More to come,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-galaxy-hall.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-neve-vr.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-racks.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-api.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-tla-tube.jpg  

Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

OK, here are the next 5...

1 Patch mayhem in the API room
2 Reflection sculptures from wood on the recording room next to the API room. Made the room actually sounding a little bigger than it is.
3 Some testosteron filled mastering speakers in the mastering room. Bigger is better and more is more seems to be the strategy at Galaxy, I like it !
4 A view of the springs that support all the different rooms to make for a very well decoupled modular system, interesting!
5 The guys are building a project room on the first floor, small but very interesting approach for the project room-minded. Who said you couldn't soffit-mount nearfield speakers?

Greetings,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-patches-everybody.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-sky-relfexions.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-mastering-speakers.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-springs.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-project-room.jpg  

Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

We all had a great time! Was very nice to meet everybody in real

Thanks to Datcha and Galaxy Studios for the impressive tour.
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

OK, this is what I found most interesting.

Wilfried showed us his 2+2+2 setup where the L/R, Surround L/R and two additional front top (literally about 1-1.5m higher) speakers L/R. I think he also could use the center speaker and the sub to call it a 7.1 modified setup, but I think he called it his 2+2+2 setup.

He played us some drums he recorded in the hall and I at least was stunned with the "realness" of the sound in the CR with the additional top speakers. He switched a little with the speakers and although the surround L/R speakers certainly helped in making it more spacious sounding, just the 4 front speakers did it for me.

Perhaps we've been thinking in the wrong direction with 5.1? Why not 5 speakers in front with two a little higher? You need to hear it to believe it, but the actual front to back depth with the additional two top speakers compared to stereo was like night and day. From the little sample he played us, I dare to make the statement that in this particular situation, the two "top" speakers added more depth than the two surround speakers.... foor for thought or at least some experimentation!
The vertical image was just amazing, again, needs to be heart to realise...

Very interesting stuff and again a big thanks to Wilfried for all the inpiration. I personally love to see people who strive for perfection and both he and Ronald Prent obviously belong in that category!

Greetings,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-two-times-two-plus-two-speakers.jpg  
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

1: well, with all these speakers, of course you need more mixbus compressors heh .
2: well, I had to put this picture out of focus, otherwise the lust might lead to strange things and these two weren't even the only Fairchilds... Ahh...

More to come,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-mixbus-trackers.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-diffuse-fairchilds.jpg  
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

The 2+2+2 system was indeed VERY convincing.
5.1 is so passé

Wilfried mentionned he also had some other ideas for improved spacial/surround music, but he couldn't reveal them yet now

If he wants to add higher speakers to his back-speakers as well, he has a problem tho: his control room is too low in the back heh

I sure am curious to hear and see what other refreshing ideas they'll come up with
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

Ronald Prent saving the current surround mix he was working on. He played us a preview of it and it sounded amazing. What is extremely cool about his API desk is that there is a new ingenious panning/balancing/routing system in which allows him to work simultaniously on a stereo and surround mix with only one balance... That's right, when the levels are balanced, (that is how I understood it, if I'm explaining it wrong, someone please correct me!) the total amount of energy is the same, whether spread out over two speakers or 5 or 6. So when e.g. the basic volume balances are done and panning is set in stereo, he can switch to surround, adjust the panning and then both mixes are "balanced"..
Very impressive to hear the switch between surround and stereo like that.

Great stuff and thanks to Ronald for taking some time out for us of his very busy schedule.

Greetings,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-ronals-saving.jpg  
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

Everybody smile...

I must say, in real life, most of the guys where a lot more handsome heh .

Greetings,
Dirk

P.S. I'm married, so don't get the wrong idea .
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-handsome-fellows.jpg  
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

Here's the last one, a shot of the diner. Of course I selected the picture where the pretty girl is in heh . Three gearslutters joined later, good luck with the new mix studio!

I had a lot of fun, got really inspired and look forward to meeting again!

Greetings,
Dirk
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-guys-one-girl.jpg  
Old 30th October 2005
Here for the gear

Just a short message...

But I MUST thank everyone for a wonderfull day.
Very inspiring and nice to meet some gearslutz in real life..

Till next time...count me in in advance
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

BTW, with all the dedication to perfection, I'd like to mention that all 3 studios where using stock Digidesign 192 interfaces. Ronald Prent mentioned that at least his system was slaved to a Big Ben which he thought was a night and day improvement, so I'm guessing the other studios are doing the same...

Perhaps that kills some of the converter lust heh ?

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

the thank you's :

1. Datcha for for organising this tour.
2. Wilfired for letting us spend 3 hours !!!!! in this amazing place and giving us some insight in his ideas / concept. Enlighting to say the least;
3. Ronald for letting us into his room for more then an hour !!!!
4. Dirk for this picture report.

There were others with camera's which I hope will end up in this thread too. I forgot mine and DrDelta had only 2 pictures left on his (so much for counting on the moderators ... ).

5. Everyone who showed up .... Great afternoon and evening indeed and definately something to repeat at some point.
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

It was a great meeting at a great place! Thanks for making this possible. It really was worthwhile the 4 hours drive from Groningen.

The next benelux GS meeting at Wisseloord?

Harrie
Old 30th October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
I forgot mine and DrDelta had only 2 pictures left on his (so much for counting on the moderators ... ).
And those few pics I made ended up to be total crap heh Luckily other slutz took care of nice pics thumbsup
Old 31st October 2005

Yes, it was indeed very nice! Happy to have met you all, and wish you the best until next time!

Cheers!
Old 31st October 2005
I am glad this get together went so well.

Thanks to everyone!

It looked like great fun!

Paris AES Spring 2006 = BIG Gearslutz.com get together - plan for it now. (probably Sat evening 20th May)

Jules
Gearslutz.com admin
Old 31st October 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
I am glad this get together went so well.

Thanks to everyone!

It looked like great fun!

Paris AES Spring 2006 = BIG Gearslutz.com get together - plan for it now. (probably Sat evening 20th May)

Jules
Gearslutz.com admin
I'll be there!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 31st October 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB
Three gearslutters joined later, good luck with the new mix studio!
Thanx a lot Dirk
I'll post some pictures of the construction work and how it turned out on another thread. The website should be online tomorrow or wednesday at last (I hope). We're throwing an opening party, early 2006 (no date set as of yet), so for those who're interested, drop us an email with your address so we can send you an invitation.

All The Best,
Irina
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

hehehe,

I do believe it was new mix room galore @ that table.

I'll be making a new one too !

Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~
hehehe,

I do believe it was new mix room galore @ that table.

I'll be making a new one too !

Well after visiting Galaxy ... who doesn't want a new mix room ?
Old 1st November 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Lambrechts
Well after visiting Galaxy ... who doesn't want a new mix room ?
well I'm very happy to say, my room will at least not be poorer than their CRs on the dimensions side !

here's a few pics of the raw room. it'll be a biatch to isolate well, but purdy easy to get a nice sound going, me thinks

trying to come up with a name to soundproof it enough so we can track a drumkit in there once in a while, but not loose the classic charm of the room (woodwork etc)

this, of course, will make my life very hard the next good few months
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-ip-door-corner.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-ip-evil-couch.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-ip-left.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-ip-staircase-ceiling.jpg  
Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Head

as i promised during dinner afterwards and here, here are some of the pictures we took..

the 2-2-2 setup was really impressing, and dirk, what you've talking about with the "balanced mix" i guess wil was talking about making a "one-in-all" mix, one that suits both, the mixdown of 5.1 and stereo in one mix..

you could do some changes in one mix, that wouldn't effect behaviour in the other mix, but then again major changes are applied to both, so you are actually only working on one single mix, instead of two seperate ones
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-1.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-2.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-3.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-4.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-5.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Head

sorry, that i don't write an explanation to all the pics
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-6.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-7.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-8.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-9.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-10.jpg  

Old 2nd November 2005
Gear Head

in pic 13 you can see the two genelecs on wil's left side.
they are on top of each other to produce the 3D-feeling in the 2-2-2 setup he has been showing us
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-11.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-12.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-13.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-14.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-15.jpg  

Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

More Pics,

small does not exist at galaxy (look for the ns10 amplifier)
how about a 1000 input patchbay ??
to go along with his new 1000 input desk
120V mastering mixer + EQ's
they really have everything :
coffee, pooltable, pinball, home theater room, etc ....
the plate reverbs on the atic are super as well,
the dcs rack probably costs more than my studio will ever cost
96 tracks digital + 96 track analog in the machine room
ps . i want a perraux 2
anyway,
the 'Smile' kinda says it all

great day
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-dcs_rack.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-digital_neve.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-digital_patch.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-focusrite.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-serious_cable.jpg  

Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

and more
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-2track.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-api_power.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-lounge1.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-lounge2.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-machineroom.jpg  

Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

5 more
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-master_eq.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-masteringmix.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-ns10amplifier.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-patchbay.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-perraux.jpg  

Old 4th November 2005
Lives for gear

the last ones

... oh boy what a place
Attached Thumbnails
Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-pinballmachine.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-pinguin.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-plate_reverb.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-relaxroom.jpg   Benelux SuperSlutz meeting! (2005)-smile.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search