The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I must admit Im a Gearslut!!!!!
Old 23rd December 2005
Gear Nut

hi armando
great thread : )
this has reminded me why i love GS, despite only being a wannabe slut!
ur rack is now my desktop in London UK
i wish you continued success, and hppy christmas to all you slutz out there!
all the best
sam
Old 23rd December 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos
1 wunder audio Mic Pre
1 Racked pair of AMS 1084
Nice for you that you have a lot of work!! thumbsup

What I still dont get from people is that they use this kind of big money while it can be a lot cheaper and better building your own amps.

Is this because there is a sign/trademark called NEVE on it?

Also this counts for EQ's and Comps etc.

As Napolion Dynamite would say: GOSH!

Cheers,

M. Blom
Old 23rd December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blomski
Nice for you that you have a lot of work!! thumbsup

What I still dont get from people is that they use this kind of big money while it can be a lot cheaper and better building your own amps.

Is this because there is a sign/trademark called NEVE on it?

Also this counts for EQ's and Comps etc.

As Napolion Dynamite would say: GOSH!

Cheers,

M. Blom
What???????!!!!!?????

First of all Im a musician not an Electronic Engineer, I don't know anything about circuits so I won't be able to make my own Preamps, and if I could I wouldn't do it either, because i prefer to spend my time making music.
And about brands... well if you can afford diferent colors, why not get equipment that its garanteed with more than 30 years in the business (neve), and about Wunder... well I trust a lot in some folks here at GS and they always have a good word about Wunder.

Best.
Armando Avila
www.cosmosproducciones.com
Old 24th December 2005
Here for the gear

Sure, I agree Armando. If you know some guys who can it's a lot easier.
BTW, it isn't that hard to build it, it is not rocket sience. Building a microphone is more complicated than some amp's.

That's why I still dont get it.

II you got all the money, then you can let also build them by some one and spend it on like a modular moog or something

Cheers,

M. Blom
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

hi

Congratulations, man!
You deserve it!
You probably also spent a few years without even buying a pair pf pants and invested on equipment!
That is it! deep love for the profession!
Old 28th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alécio Costa
Congratulations, man!
You deserve it!
You probably also spent a few years without even buying a pair pf pants and invested on equipment!
That is it! deep love for the profession!
Thanks Alecio, you are right, the best part is that now I have my dream studio and I can buy some pants but believe it or not Im still buying a lot of equipment, a new toy always give me some motivation for something new that can be applied in a project, so I never get bore.

Best.

Armando Avila.
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Hi Armando.
You are a musician too, right?
I was wondering how do you balance your own creation with the work related one? I mean, do you still have time to compose and produce your own music?
Cheers and Feliz año Nuevo!!..................Joaquin.
Old 28th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
Hi Armando.
You are a musician too, right?
I was wondering how do you balance your own creation with the work related one? I mean, do you still have time to compose and produce your own music?
Cheers and Feliz año Nuevo!!..................Joaquin.
Hi Joaquin, saddly I don't have time to make my own music, since I make almost everything in my productions, I barely have time to eat!!!!but I compose a lot for the projects I produce, I mean, I spend a lot of time writing songs to see if one fits on somebodys project, its funny but every time I write a song for an especific artist usually that artist don't use it and always another artist wants that song, so you never know, never underestimate a song, they always find their way.

I hope in the future to make my own project, but for the moment, produce is my fulltime job.

Best regards.

Armando Avila
Old 28th December 2005
Lives for gear

Armando, when you write for someone else.. do you write differently ?? or do you write like if it was for your album and then show it to other people ?? I ask because I have a very specific style on the songs I write for myself, and find it difficult to put myself in other peoples shoes and think what they would like to sing and write accordingly. thanks!
Old 29th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
Armando, when you write for someone else.. do you write differently ?? or do you write like if it was for your album and then show it to other people ?? I ask because I have a very specific style on the songs I write for myself, and find it difficult to put myself in other peoples shoes and think what they would like to sing and write accordingly. thanks!
Hi Jose, when I write for someone else I try to fit the artist's style, a lot of times I love to co-write with the artist ( when the artist know how ) one of my biggest hits was that way.
Since my projects are so different from each other I developed some kind of instict.

Best.

Armando Avila
Old 29th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Magnificent studio, unbelievable amounts of equipment, but above all, great talent.

You have my respect.

Hats off.

Spacey
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delcosmos
Hi Joaquin, saddly I don't have time to make my own music, since I make almost everything in my productions, I barely have time to eat!!!!but I compose a lot for the projects I produce, I mean, I spend a lot of time writing songs to see if one fits on somebodys project, its funny but every time I write a song for an especific artist usually that artist don't use it and always another artist wants that song, so you never know, never underestimate a song, they always find their way.

I hope in the future to make my own project, but for the moment, produce is my fulltime job.
Thanks Armando.
Seems to me that you are exploiting your creativity and are content thru producing and working with different artists thumbsup
I asked because, what's happening to me right now, is that with all the Studio/Gear needs and paying gigs, I'm pushing my music back...though it's ("My" Music)the main reason for all my doings in the first place!?....I think this is a common disease with the "gearslutz"

Anyway. Best of luck with all your projects and everything for the next Year!!......................Joaquin.
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

I was yesterday on Armando´s Studio. and want to tell you that he´s a great guy.
He deserves his great studio and all awards thumbsup
We all have equipment, more or less but Armando had talent. this one makes differences..
Congratulations!
Pepe Ortega. Estudios Elith Mexico
Old 29th December 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for Armando !

Yes... I agree.... I sent armando an email the other day, and he responded !! One more for Armando !! For he´s a Jolly good fell...ow , for he´s a jolly good fell.....ow, for he´s a jolly good fe- e- llow........ which nobody can deny !!!
Armando for Gearslutz president !!!
Old 13th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceChild
Magnificent studio, unbelievable amounts of equipment, but above all, great talent.

You have my respect.

Hats off.

Spacey
Thanks for your kind words Spacey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Ortega
I was yesterday on Armando´s Studio. and want to tell you that he´s a great guy.
He deserves his great studio and all awards thumbsup
We all have equipment, more or less but Armando had talent. this one makes differences..
Congratulations!
Pepe Ortega. Estudios Elith Mexico
Thank you Pepe, you are welcome all the time at my place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukejs
Yes... I agree.... I sent armando an email the other day, and he responded !! One more for Armando !! For he´s a Jolly good fell...ow , for he´s a jolly good fell.....ow, for he´s a jolly good fe- e- llow........ which nobody can deny !!!
Armando for Gearslutz president !!!
Ja, ja, ja!!!... thanks Lukejs!!!!! By the way are you still selling the Aurora?

Best regards to all and Let's make 2006 a better year than 2005, at least with more new toys ( and a lot of work to use them!!!!!)

Armando Avila
Old 13th January 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman
First Salma Hayek and now this!!!

Mexico 2, World 0 heh
Sorry, but to be true:

This guy also works with Shakira! And he has a photo with her! This gives him a double bonus which brings us the following result:

Mexico 3, World 0

Oh Armando,

at first I wanna congratulate you for the great songs you must have written. This studio is nearly unbeatabe I think!

I would love to get some information about your way of mixing and recording, your most beloved parts in the studio and...

the tool which is the biggest pricesurpriser (cheap and of high quality for your ears!!!). I know there are no 2 Dollar tools and good thing cost good money, but there are always tools which are not priciest and which are very affordable! If you had to take five parts of your outboard for the next record which tools would that be?

Thank you for the oics and the Information here! Wonderful thread.

Old 13th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj
Sorry, but to be true:

I would love to get some information about your way of mixing and recording, your most beloved parts in the studio and...

the tool which is the biggest pricesurpriser (cheap and of high quality for your ears!!!). I know there are no 2 Dollar tools and good thing cost good money, but there are always tools which are not priciest and which are very affordable!
Hi Andrew, one of my biggest price-suprises is a Fender Bassman head that I got for $700usd with cab!!
And my surprise was that it sounds amazing on Crunched guitars, I connect it trough a marshall 4x12 and it delivers one of the best Rock guitar sounds ever!!!
I have Orange, Mesa rectifier, Soldano, Plexi, JCM800, VOX, Badcat, Twins, Bluesbraker, Deluxe, Vibroverb and all those cost me a little fortune, but Im getting superb tones from this fella that I got for $700.

Quote:
Sorry, but to be true:
If you had to take five parts of your outboard for the next record which tools would that be?

Thank you for the oics and the Information here! Wonderful thread.
1-Black face LN1176
2-BA 1272
3-Hedd 192
4-Chandler TG Channel
5-Distressor

Best.

Armando Avila
Old 13th January 2006
Here for the gear

I haven't seen that nice of a rack since...well...Shakira

Congrats man, that's got to be fun to play with.
Old 13th January 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyprus
I haven't seen that nice of a rack since...well...Shakira

Congrats man, that's got to be fun to play with.
Shakira? Yeah, I'd love to play with that too heh
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

Hi Armando,

me again. Thank you for answering my questions. I read about the Brent Averill PreAmp, because you recommended it. Now I have one additional question if allowed:
If I understand the concept of the Brent Averil Tool right, this one gives you a sound close to the old Neves, right?
If this is your goal, have you tried the Phenix Audio Tools? These guys seem to do a good job and seem to be damn close to the original also! There was a listening session with a lot of different amps here . Perhaps this is interesting for you, and for others also!
Old 16th January 2006
Quote:
Hi Armando,

me again. Thank you for answering my questions. I read about the Brent Averill PreAmp, because you recommended it. Now I have one additional question if allowed:
If I understand the concept of the Brent Averil Tool right, this one gives you a sound close to the old Neves, right?
If this is your goal, have you tried the Phenix Audio Tools? These guys seem to do a good job and seem to be damn close to the original also! There was a listening session with a lot of different amps here . Perhaps this is interesting for you, and for others also!
Hi andrewj, Yes I love my BA 1272.
Right know I am after a pair of AMS-Neve 1084, Im shure that BA clone must sound very close to an original but saddly people want to see brands in your racks, after I get those AMS I want to try that Aurora pre and some Wunder audio stuff but It's very difficult to me, to get the stuff I want here in Mexico City, I want to buy one SSL Xrack loaded with 8 compressors and a pair of AMS-Neve 1084 but its very difficult to get' em. Some audio stores can't send the units to Mexico, others can but when the equipment is here, customs in Mexico stops the shipping until you pay 35% off the price and fill like 4 forms, so it's a lot of Money and finally you got your gear 1 month after you bought it!!!!
Thanks for the advise on the Phoenix Audio Pre, Im gonna check it out, thanks god Mercenary sell that brand. ( Mercenary is the only place that I trust for Intrnet-shopping ).
Old 16th January 2006
Lives for gear

And please make sure to visit http://www.thelisteningsessions.com/ ! To me it was very interesting! But be careful with your speakers when you listen to the Bass examples!
Old 16th January 2006
The Distressor's "daddy"

Quote:
Hi Andrew, one of my biggest price-suprises is a Fender Bassman head that I got for $700usd with cab!!
And my surprise was that it sounds amazing on Crunched guitars, I connect it trough a marshall 4x12 and it delivers one of the best Rock guitar sounds ever!!!
I have Orange, Mesa rectifier, Soldano, Plexi, JCM800, VOX, Badcat, Twins, Bluesbraker, Deluxe, Vibroverb and all those cost me a little fortune, but Im getting superb tones from this fella that I got for $700.
Armando, did you know that the original Marshall WAS a Bassman Amp, essentially? If my memory serves me right, Marshall was kind of making a Bass amp and it was quickly discovered that the things were absolutely killer on guitar. Hendrix and Clapton got some of the early ones if Im not mistaken. But essentially, the Marshall head was incredibly close to the Fender Bassman electronics. Maybe some tone control values were changed or something, and the output transformer. I used a 60's Bassman head for my guitar for many years. Its kind of your basic 6L6 and 12AX7 tube amp that has been re-done a thousand times. I wonder where that amp is now.... dammit. At least my 67 Gibson SG is only a few feet away at the moment. heh
Old 16th January 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr
Armando, did you know that the original Marshall WAS a Bassman Amp, essentially? If my memory serves me right, Marshall was kind of making a Bass amp and it was quickly discovered that the things were absolutely killer on guitar. Hendrix and Clapton got some of the early ones if Im not mistaken. But essentially, the Marshall head was incredibly close to the Fender Bassman electronics. Maybe some tone control values were changed or something, and the output transformer. I used a 60's Bassman head for my guitar for many years. Its kind of your basic 6L6 and 12AX7 tube amp that has been re-done a thousand times. I wonder where that amp is now.... dammit. At least my 67 Gibson SG is only a few feet away at the moment. heh
Hi Dave, I have a book with the Marshall story and yeah, as you said, they were trying to make a Bassman head, Jim Marshall was obsessed with that sound and they started from that. I don't know if Bassman head is 4oms or 16oms or whatever, I connect the little fella in to my 4x12 marshall cabinet and it sounds glorious!!!!!!!!!

Best regards.

Armando Avila
Old 12th March 2006
Gear Maniac

First of all, thanks for those pictures, still drooling

Just a little question:

"Is the result of a life times work"
"Im 31"

So when did you start in music/studio ?

Sorry if this question has allready been asked, I only looked at the pictures in this thread
Old 12th March 2006
Lives for gear

bassman heads are 4ohms. the fenders are anyway. let's just say i've seen an unfair share of them.
Old 19th March 2006
Gear Addict

The very first picture of this thread emanates a mysterious mystical energy!!!

Viva Armando, I'm proud of you...

Let me know if i can help you getting a hand on a Neve 1084.

Angelo Clematide
Producer, Composer, Arranger, Engineer...
Miami Music Box - Bruce Swedien Enterprises
Florida and Switzerland

Old 19th March 2006
Lives for gear
Quote:
My wish list next year is:

1 Original Vintage U47 (Telefunken or Neumann)
2 Pulteqs EQP1 A3
1 Divided by 13 head and cabinet
1 Moog Voyager
1 Great River
1 Chandler TG Comp
1 Great river MP-2NV
1 Korby Mic with 4 capsules
1 wunder audio Mic Pre
1 Racked pair of AMS 1084
1 60's Gibson ES 355 (Im looking for one of these in good shape and at good price)
1 60's Stratocaster
1 Gibson Les Paul 59 Reissue
1 Hofner (60's vintage)
1 ATR 1/2
Im a Gearslut or what!!!

My only concern is Custom Taxes and all the crap that Mexico make to dificult everything, I mean most of the mentioned equipment above don't have a dealer in Mexico, I have to buy mostly in USA or web sites ( Mercenary, VintageKing, Sonic circus, MusicToyz, etc,) but Im having problems with FEDEX because they make anything to make your life more dificult, with UPS is better.
Im gonna buy all this next year. ( Hope so!! )
hola armando,
yeah, being a GS is bad enough but living in mexico, and being a GS is like.........

well... a guy that fantasizes about shakira. heh couldn't resist.

also, selling anything here is a lost cause. i have a house full of crap that would fly on ebay, but nnnnnOOOOOOOO. i'm currently struggling with trying to audition different converters. Radar and 16X for protools, and dCS, Weiss, Lavry, etc., to mix to, none of which are available here. the closest i can get to these is a f#$%!!! rosetta 800.

so i'll probably end up buying without hearing... of course. sorry for the rant but i feel better now.

abrimos el bull aqui en cancun anoche bro! pero extraño al estudio... a ver que dia nos juntamos a comparar notas, y muchas felicidades por tu lugar.thumbsup por ahi nos traemos una ATR 102 juntos o algo...!!!
Old 20th March 2006
Lives for gear

That Mellotron is the cherry on your cake! Very nice indeed.
Old 20th March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeloClematide

Viva Armando, I'm proud of you...

Let me know if i can help you getting a hand on a Neve 1084.

Angelo Clematide
Angelo, thank you for your kind words, I would apreciate if you can help me on that neve thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
hola armando,
also, selling anything here is a lost cause. i have a house full of crap that would fly on ebay, but nnnnnOOOOOOOO. i'm currently struggling with trying to audition different converters. Radar and 16X for protools, and dCS, Weiss, Lavry, etc., to mix to, none of which are available here. the closest i can get to these is a f#$%!!! rosetta 800.
Hi Raal, you are right, its hard to run a High end facility in Mexico, some times you have to buy with out audition, I have 3 rooms full of stuff, but I'm like you, I don't sell anything ( I even have my first 2 Alesis midiflex from the 80's!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
hola armando,
abrimos el bull aqui en cancun anoche bro! pero extraño al estudio... a ver que dia nos juntamos a comparar notas, y muchas felicidades por tu lugar.thumbsup por ahi nos traemos una ATR 102 juntos o algo...!!!
Claro Rafa cuando estes en Mexico y tengas un tiempo estaria increible armar un "get together"!!
Felicidades por el nuevo Bull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetblack
That Mellotron is the cherry on your cake! Very nice indeed.
Hi Jetblack, Yeah I love my mellotron, I must change his tapes because they are old, even with that old tapes it have a particular sound.
Sombody knows where I can get those replacement tapes for a Mellotron?

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
www.cosmoproducciones.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search