The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
I must admit Im a Gearslut!!!!!
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
hola jose. un abrazo.

(a) for the sake of this discussion i'd prefer not to put anyone in any category. (b) my personal taste has nothing to do with this thread. i thought we were talking about successful artists, their ethnic background, and the correlation between the two.
All discussions about music are a matter of taste. Any discussion about gear always ends up in taste. As far as success and popularity, I'm no one to judge why someone is more popular than others. And yes I agree with you, we are not behind in the popularity aspect. But I still think we are behind in musical innovation. (pop/rock world ONLY)

I just took the opportunity to discuss our latin pop market with succesful guys like you and cosmos. A rare opportunity in GS.com : ) But if you don't want to that is fine. Let's go back to the gear talk!
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Mrochek
I just took the opportunity to discuss our latin pop market with succesful guys like you and cosmos. A rare opportunity in GS.com : ) But if you don't want to that is fine. Let's go back to the gear talk!
sorry if i came off as rude or short sir, but really speaking, discussing musical styles and personal tastes is like discussing religion.

or ITB/OTB! YEAH!!! heh

un abrazo desde el df!
Old 6th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal
sorry if i came off as rude or short sir, but really speaking, discussing musical styles and personal tastes is like discussing religion.

or ITB/OTB! YEAH!!! heh

un abrazo desde el df!
hahaa no te preocupes. It's still fun to talk music styles. It either re-inforces your original thoughts, or changes/opens your mind. I'm always on the look out for new latin rock bands. I used to work in a somewhat big studio in miami and the kind of music being done, was opposite to my taste. So I'd like to know what's going on in the underground in mexico, argentina.. etc.. because what's hitting the mainstream at this moment is not making me buy records.
Old 7th August 2005
Lives for gear

WOW
Old 27th August 2005
We had the drug money gag already RANDALL! tutt (Shame on your bad self!) Watch out this guy can throw a platinum record at 1000 yards and kill!

What an amazing studio!!!

Old 28th August 2005
What a knob and light festival.

Seriously impressive. Your rig has one of the highest "k and l" factors I've seen - knobs and lights, that is.

Old 29th August 2005
Here for the gear

All I can say is... That's incredible.

As an A level student, just off to University in September to begin studies for my degree in Music Technology, I have just seen my dream studio. I think I'm gonna have to go print off those pictures and turn them into pinups for my student accommodation

How awesome is that studio, cripes.
Old 4th December 2005
Gear Maniac

what a great studio!
i can´t even think of joking about it because i´m absolutely speechless.
the fact that you are in your early 30´s makes me nervous,
since i am in my late late 20´s....
...long way to go.
your pics are a great motivation.

thanks
Old 4th December 2005
Lives for gear

Man, what a nice studio!!! Thanks for posting the pictures!

One question, Armando...

do you leave your studio with all the gear powered up? Or do you
just "shutdown your siderack" and leave the console on? Or has
every piece of gear to beswitched off when you´re leaving?

How do you handle this?

(if i had such a studio i probably wouldn´t ever leave it heh )
Old 4th December 2005
Gear Addict

Back of the rack

I would love to see a picture of rack wall from behind
Old 4th December 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for posting the pictures from your beautiful studio complex...
I have to admit..this is the sort of studio I always hoped to see pictures of..
But your studio seems to be a very rare collection indeed..
The very fact that it turned out to be a private studio complex is even more fantastic.
Please post more from time to time...!
All the very best
Scruffy
Old 5th December 2005
Lives for gear

First time I've seen this. I like the look of all those racks filled with gear. I just want that look, so I'm going Behringer all the way.

-Mark
Old 5th December 2005
Lives for gear

wow
Old 5th December 2005
Gear Head

delcosmos : keeping the dream alive
Old 5th December 2005
Gear Nut

where are the friggin mics??????????

Dude great set up. Do you have any EDAX gear? If any what do you think of it? How would you compare them with say the Manley Labs Stuff?

Saludos from Puerto Rico, Big fan of your work.
Old 5th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by opentune
Man, what a nice studio!!! Thanks for posting the pictures!

One question, Armando...

do you leave your studio with all the gear powered up? Or do you
just "shutdown your siderack" and leave the console on? Or has
every piece of gear to beswitched off when you´re leaving?

How do you handle this?

(if i had such a studio i probably wouldn´t ever leave it heh )
Hi Opentune,I just turn it on the console when I mix analogue, normally at the end of each project, so no, the Euphonix remains off until I finish a project.

I have to update those pictures because since this post I have added an 1178, V78, Portico 5042, Lil freq and a lot of new guitars and amps, most notably a Fender Bassman and Soldano Lucky 13 and my beloved ADAM S3A, Im waiting for my Pearlman mic to compare it with my other toys!!!

Best.

Armando Avila.
Old 5th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapiro
where are the friggin mics??????????

Dude great set up. Do you have any EDAX gear? If any what do you think of it? How would you compare them with say the Manley Labs Stuff?

Saludos from Puerto Rico, Big fan of your work.
Hi Chapiro I have the Edax's pulteq EQP1a and MEQ version, I love them, I have serial 001, 002, I was the first guy here to test those! We had to make some fine tunning but finally they sound gorgeous, I think they are definetly diferent from the Manley version, I mean, I was Alberto Mellibovsky's beta tester and I love their work, I even have a Large diaphragm condencer mic that he made for me 9 years ago and is one of my favorites, I do know that he only made a few of those, so, In resume, he is a genious that deserve to be more famous, but I think he is in the wrong place (Mexico), we are a few people that really knows about his work.
By the way Im not trying to advertise him, he is not giving me anything, in fact he is very hard with money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best.

Armando Avila
Old 5th December 2005
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
StudioKing

I would love to see a picture of rack wall from behind
Me to .... please

Mic collection too.........
Old 5th December 2005
Gear Maniac

I take a look at this thread every time I think that there is stuff more important than gear. Viva Armando, congratulations on your success, it inspires others.
Old 5th December 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonPedro
I take a look at this thread every time I think that there is stuff more important than gear. Viva Armando, congratulations on your success, it inspires others.

Seeing that rack sometimes makes me think "What do I enjoy more, accumulating and figuring out what gear I want, or using it?"
Old 5th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC11
Seeing that rack sometimes makes me think "What do I enjoy more, accumulating and figuring out what gear I want, or using it?"
This is the best part of all, Obviously I don't use all this at the same time, but since Im making so many projects and so diferent from each other I always have a good reason for use everything, theres gear ( like hedd, chandler, 1176, distrssors, Brent Averill, apogee, Geffel, some synths like, Supernova, 5080, 990, nord lead, and guitars like Taylor, les paul, strat, telecaster,335, SG, CountryGentleman, etc ) that are in constant use, but every time I saw a good thread in Gearslutz about some piece of equipment that I have, I fell in love again and I start using it again, so, its a combination of love for gear, usefull tools and a kind of collection.

By the way, I am one of those rare guys that still use Protools only when I really have-to: (beat detective, an artist that had started his project on it, or someone that force me to use it!!!! ) For my every day work I use Digital Performer on a G5 dual 2.7, Apogee DA's linked to my Euphonix for mixing, with UAD and lot of virtual synths and plug ins ( favorites are URS, UAD and TRITONE ).

Best.

Armando Avila.
www.cosmosproducciones.com
Old 5th December 2005
Gear Maniac

Hey Armando,

Could we get some reviews out of you?

(1) What do you think of the Neve Portico 5042? (I think that's the model number of the tape emulator).

(2) Do you own the Tascam DV-RA1000?

What do you think of DSD in general? Do you track direct to PCM? If so, at what bit and sample rate? Do you use tape? For tracking? For mixdown?

Thanks

--Neil
Old 6th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILANDDON
Hey Armando,

Could we get some reviews out of you?

(1) What do you think of the Neve Portico 5042? (I think that's the model number of the tape emulator).

(2) Do you own the Tascam DV-RA1000?

What do you think of DSD in general? Do you track direct to PCM? If so, at what bit and sample rate? Do you use tape? For tracking? For mixdown?

Thanks

--Neil
Hi PHILANDON, I find the 5042 a very subtle effect, I don't think it sounds like a 1/2 tape machine, but Im mixing through it and if I bypass it I miss something that portico adds, and its something that definetly I like, so I think it is a bit of luxury but if you can, buy it.

I don't have the Tascam DV-RA1000, I make a deep investigation about it and want to try one attached to my portico, I saw Raal want to try this for mixdown too, a tape-alike systemm but why they don't put a [email protected]%^#&%# HARD DRIVE IN IT?!!!

I track to PCM (Digital Performer with apogee converters or if Im only recording 1 or 2 tracks at time, I love Hedd converters, maybe I should buy a Crane Song Spider.

I don't use tape any more I have 2 MCI JH/24 in perfect shape but since Im making 3 or 4 projects at the same time, I can't spend time with analogue anymore.

I want an 1/2 ATR just for mixdown.

Right now Im going back to Digital Performer on mixdown, Im recording 44/24 because I don't want any sample rate conversions involved and I can make fast CD refs.

Best.

Armando Avila.
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Congratulations on your great studio armando. I´ll call you this week to talk about gear and admire personally your toys thumbsup

Best Regards
Pepe Ortega.
Old 6th December 2005
Gear Addict

What PT do you use when you have to? I'm in the process of rebuilding and I'm thinking to do the Apogee + DP route, but having an 002 just in case I have to do PT stuff.
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

i know im a little late but;

Dear sweet merciful God!, Dear sweet merciful heavens!, Holy sweet merciful hell!, Holy sweet merciful Mary McGillicuddy!, Oh dear sweet merciful Lord!, OH DEAR SWEET MERCIFUL MONKEY MUFFINS!, Oh my sweet merciful 7-11 nachos!, Oh my sweet merciful Buddha!, Oh my sweet merciful ferret lord!, Oh sweet merciful baby Jesus!, Oh sweet merciful Christ on the cross!, Oh sweet merciful Zeus!, Oh sweet merciful god in heaven!, Oh sweet merciful hell!, Oh sweet merciful Jeeezus!, Oh sweet merciful Jesus on a bicycle!, Oh sweet merciful Julie Chen!, Oh my dear sweet merciful baby Jesus!, Sweet merciful bejesus!, Sweet merciful Buddha on a crutch!, Sweet merciful Christ on a bike!, Sweet merciful crap!, Sweet merciful delete button!, Sweet merciful divine!, Sweet merciful force!, Sweet merciful God almighty!, Sweet merciful god in heaven above!, Sweet merciful goddess!, Sweet merciful heavens!, Sweet merciful Jeebus and his brother Harry!, Sweet merciful lord of crap!, Sweet merciful Lords of Chaos!, Sweet merciful marzipan!, Sweet merciful monkey ass!, Sweet merciful monkey crap!, Sweet merciful monkey-god!, SWEET MERCIFUL MOTHER MARY MOSES'S MANIACAL MONKEY OF MOTOWN!!!!!, Sweet merciful Mother Nature!, Sweet merciful mother of anything sacred!, Sweet merciful mother of cake!, Sweet merciful mother of cheese!, Sweet merciful mother of crap!, Sweet merciful mother of muppets!, Sweet merciful mother of pearl!, Sweet merciful mother of Pete!, Sweet merciful mother of purple monkey!, Sweet merciful mother of the good Lord Yaweh!, Sweet merciful mother of Zeus!, Sweet merciful progress!, Sweet merciful Red Auerbach!, Sweet merciful Santa!, Sweet merciful savior in heaven!, Sweet merciful ****!, Sweet merciful spiffiness!, Sweet merciful toast!, Sweet merciful water pressure!, Sweet merciful Wayne Gretzky!, Sweet merciful webcam!, Sweet merciful Zeus!, Sweet, sweet merciful Jesus!
Old 6th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC11
What PT do you use when you have to? I'm in the process of rebuilding and I'm thinking to do the Apogee + DP route, but having an 002 just in case I have to do PT stuff.
In my studio I have an old Protools Mix cube rig with 3 888i/o, when "I have to" I usually export from DP an SDII files to protools and fix them with beat detective, beat detective in protools is more friendly and faster than the seudo Beat detective by MOTU.

In studio B ( Electric Mogly ) we have Protools HD with one 192i/o interface and DP with a Rosetta, Our B it's a smaller studio but its full every day with all the job that I can't make because of time or budget or most of the time my friend Juan Carlos Moguel are recording vocals in there while at the same time I am mixing in my studio the same Project!!!!

If someone ( like Shakira and Rob Jacobs ) comes with a 96K session, I take the 192 rig and patch it in seconds, but usually I just need the old 888, I want to upgrade it but since Im so in to DP everytime I got the bill for the upgrade I always prefer to invest my money on something that don't become obsolete next year, like a good mic or an old comp or an instrument, I mean, DP with apogee sounds to me as good as Protools with 192i/o.

Best.

Armando Avila
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos
In my studio I have an old Protools Mix cube rig with 3 888i/o, when "I have to" I usually export from DP an SDII files to protools and fix them with beat detective, beat detective in protools is more friendly and faster than the seudo Beat detective by MOTU.

In studio B ( Electric Mogly ) we have Protools HD with one 192i/o interface and DP with a Rosetta, Our B it's a smaller studio but its full every day with all the job that I can't make because of time or budget or most of the time my friend Juan Carlos Moguel are recording vocals in there while at the same time I am mixing in my studio the same Project!!!!

If someone ( like Shakira and Rob Jacobs ) comes with a 96K session, I take the 192 rig and patch it in seconds, but usually I just need the old 888, I want to upgrade it but since Im so in to DP everytime I got the bill for the upgrade I always prefer to invest my money on something that don't become obsolete next year, like a good mic or an old comp or an instrument, I mean, DP with apogee sounds to me as good as Protools with 192i/o.

Best.

Armando Avila
Hey Armando. Do you think that there's sonic implications with different softwares??
Also, I think that you can ran DP with PT harware, and PT software with apogee convertes...with optional cards.
Cheers..................Joaquin.
Old 6th December 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin
Hey Armando. Do you think that there's sonic implications with different softwares??
Also, I think that you can ran DP with PT harware, and PT software with apogee convertes...with optional cards.
Cheers..................Joaquin.
Hi Joaquin.
A year ago, a digi rep. here in Mexico tried to sold me a complete PT Hardware (4 i/o 192 with accell cards) with the speech that DP will run smootly with PTHD cards under DAE, I tried it for a week and I'd been very frustrated, at that time, DP can't sync to rewire stuff under DAE so I can't use my Reason and Live in sync with DP, I remember that I even ask here (In Gearslutz) if somebofy knew about it, but after 4 or 5 days Motu Tech suport confirmed me that it was imposible to sync DP and rewire under DAE so I aborted that mission.

Then I saw years ago maybe on rec pit or Lynn Fuston Forum that there are some differences on different DAW systems and those tests never put PT as a winner, I made my own tests on DP (Native with apogee) and Protools HD (192I/0) and I have found DP in the same league (Talking about sound), remember that I mix regularly analogue on my Euphonix, so my DP act as a Recorder-Playback System, Then 6 or 8 months ago I was thinking on change all my DP system to protools because I was very impressed by the Automatic Delay Compensation on Protools but 3 months or so after that, DP put out this feature and again I can't found a good reason to go on Protools.

The only feature I envy on Protools is their Icon system, their monitor with out latency through their plug ins, but I can Monitor on DP with out latency thanks to Cue Mix and Im so happy.
Oh!! and I hate the fact that I can't use Mc DSP Plug ins on DP!!!!

Saludos.

Armando Avila
Old 6th December 2005
Lives for gear

Armando,

I don't think you ever posted pics of your mics, but if you could post a list of your mics that would be just as good, along with what mics you like for certain applications along with which mics match which preamps you have very well in your opinion.

Thanks,
Mark

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search