The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
So...it IS true...
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

So...it IS true...

Yesterday I was looking through some of the text I usually keep from threads that interest me and I bumped into this:

"Alagia: But I can definitely hear more width and depth by going to something like a Masterlink or HHB (instead of bouncing internally). I was skeptical at first, but after I spent some time A/Bing, I definitely noticed the difference. So now what we do is go out and back in stereo at 24-bit/48 kHz."

I never believed that...until I did the test myself. Yes, it sounds better. The low end is clearer.

Why though?
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Addict

I use the handy ambus dig in function on the AD8000 just for that purpouse. It does sound clearer.
Old 30th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
I never believed that...until I did the test myself. Yes, it sounds better. The low end is clearer.

Why though?

Factually speaking ... dont know.

A guess ... jitter reduction.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

When mixing ITB I just happen to do that anyway because I always run the mix through my NTI EQ3 and an outboard comp. But have you tried what you just did with all your levels trimmed -10db? Let me know if the same thing happens. I'm curious based on Paul Frindle's observations of PT's gain structure.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
When mixing ITB I just happen to do that anyway because I always run the mix through my NTI EQ3 and an outboard comp. But have you tried what you just did with all your levels trimmed -10db? Let me know if the same thing happens. I'm curious based on Paul Frindle's observations of PT's gain structure.
I haven't done a test with normal levels yet. I'll post soon my results.

I still can't see though why there would be a difference between ITB and Masterlink...its all digital at that point...
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

I've done it and there's a difference.

How big the difference is for you is the question.
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Addict

I do hear a difference when mixing directly to Sonic Studio HD. Thus I can imagine that it also works with Masterlink and the like.

Cheers,
Bill
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Syra, what's your playback source?
Masterlink?

ruudman
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman
Syra, what's your playback source?
Masterlink?

ruudman
Its ProTools...I am going AES into the Masterlink...I don't know if I understand the question ruudman...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search