The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Holy smoke.. Sony 3348 for $1000 on eBay DAW Software
Old 30th July 2005
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Holy smoke.. Sony 3348 for $1000 on eBay

With remote!

I can't think of anything in pro audio that has depreciated like this.


http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PCM-3348-Di...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 30th July 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
All digital gear bites the dust in the end. That's why I hate having to buy it. The good thing about the 3348 is that once it is obsolete, you can at least still use it as a boat anchor.
Old 3rd August 2018
  #3
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
All digital gear bites the dust in the end. That's why I hate having to buy it. The good thing about the 3348 is that once it is obsolete, you can at least still use it as a boat anchor.

And I hear if you configure it properly it will time travel.

Seriously though. Not obsolete. Thousands of albums in the 80's were recorded on the 3324 & 3348. At my Uncle Jack's studio (where I work for bread and water) we do a lot of transferring of multitracks to Pro Tools. And we get a lot of calls, "Do you have a Sony 3324?" "Do you have a Sony 3348?" (What was recorded on 3324 can be played on a Sony 3348.)

About 5 years ago my Uncle went on Ebay and went to the rare studio auction. He picked up three 3348s, four 3348HRs, two Mistubush X-800s and three X-850s. And two dozen ADATS of various sorts. And all for under $60 000 U.S. not including shipping, handling, insurance, and custom duty. One guy wanted $800 for a X-850 manual. Hard to find so we paid.

We been quite busy these last few years just transferring DASH tape to Pro Tools. So lack of tape (They stopped manufacturering DASH tape after 2006.) is not an issue. Unfortunately 1/3 of the DASH tapes we get just won't play anymore.

We had a web page but it to be taken down over some legal reasons which I never understood (Long story) At the moment we exist on word of mouth and a pretty good ad in the Yellow Pages.
My Uncle Jack doesn't seem to understand how important being on the web is. All I get is, "I'll think about it..."
Old 3rd August 2018
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jjblair's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by john morris View Post
And I hear if you configure it properly it will time travel.

Seriously though. Not obsolete. Thousands of albums in the 80's were recorded on the 3324 & 3348.
That's legacy work. It doesn't speak to obsolescence. As soon as somebody stops manufacturing a technology and a new technology takes over, it's obsolete. Digital audio tape as a technology is obsolete. Nobody makes new machines, and it's all been replaced by disc recording. Just because we all have amazing stuff still on floppy, ZIP and JAZ drives, and might want to get at it some day, doesn't mean that it isn't obsolete either.
Old 3rd August 2018
  #5
Old 3rd August 2018
  #6
Lives for gear
 
avare's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Got tape?
I was wondering the same thing. Is there any tape being made for it these days?

Andre
Old 4th August 2018
  #7
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by avare View Post
I was wondering the same thing. Is there any tape being made for it these days?

Andre
No, I don't think so.... According to CLA himself, he bought the lot of the last batch (every last tape to be found).
Old 1 week ago
  #8
Here for the gear
 

To all those asking - They stopped making DASH tape after 2006. All that's available now is company surplus and of course studios wanting to get rid of their DASH tape which is of no use to them.
Old 1 week ago
  #9
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine View Post
With remote!

I can't think of anything in pro audio that has depreciated like this.


http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-PCM-3348-Di...QQcmdZViewItem

Hold on now...Just a moment...I am sure they are other Pro audio gear that has depreciated just as much. I just can't think of any for the moment. mmmmmm....On second thought - you are right. From $250 000 in 1994 down to $1000 24 years later. That's pretty pathetic.
Although to be fare for $1000 you will get your Sony 3348HR as is. For one in good working prime condition the price is usually around $5000. (Doesn't include manual.) It's no different then seeing a Studer 827 on Ebay for $800 will no head report. For all you know you could be paying for 70 pounds of scrap metal.
Still, you are completely right.
Old 6 days ago
  #10
Gear Head
 

I was at the Sorceror Sound auction way way back in the early aughts(2006?) and spent the entire day watching the live proceedings.

Ended up with a Massive Passive and some great experiences....

So at the end of the day, while everyone was moseying on out, I stopped to take a look at two freezer sized 3348's Dash machines in the hallway. One of the studio managers sidles up, asks me if I like what I see. Tells me they didn't sell during the auction...

Anticipating a sales pitch, i murmured that they were great but a little outdated...the guy nods and agrees, and then says..."Well if you can get a truck and get them out of here by 8pm they're all yours...."
Old 6 days ago
  #11
Gear Addict
 
dcwave's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by john morris View Post
Hold on now...Just a moment...I am sure they are other Pro audio gear that has depreciated just as much. I just can't think of any for the moment. mmmmmm....On second thought - you are right. From $250 000 in 1994 down to $1000 24 years later. That's pretty pathetic.
Although to be fare for $1000 you will get your Sony 3348HR as is. For one in good working prime condition the price is usually around $5000. (Doesn't include manual.) It's no different then seeing a Studer 827 on Ebay for $800 will no head report. For all you know you could be paying for 70 pounds of scrap metal.
Still, you are completely right.

250k in 94 to 1k in 2005 - 11 years

That listing was 13 years ago!

I think this deserves the necro-post of the year award.
Old 6 days ago
  #12
Lives for gear
 

And now its at $850 from 13 years ago lol

How low can this thing go ha

Sony PCM 3348 - 48 track digital recorder & remote control | eBay
Old 6 days ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Nobody wants that thing.
Old 6 days ago
  #14
Lives for gear
 
RightOnRome's Avatar
"It belongs in a museum!!"


Dr. Jones


Old 6 days ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
gyraf's Avatar
And worse - nobody wants to repair them. A genuine nightmare of just-on-the-edge electronics.

Jakob E.
Old 6 days ago
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Sigma's Avatar
Lol I thought it was a big deal when I rented 2 for a Patti LaBelle live album at the appolo..
Old 6 days ago
  #17
Lives for gear
 

i never made the switch to digital tape (could not afford at the time/invested in different technology/gear such as fairlight) but kept my studers running...

to this day, my impression is that some work (which at least partially got recorded on dash machines) sounded really good, for instance some albums by rachelle ferrel or anita baker, (co-)produced by george duke.

in retrospective, how would you characterize large digital tape machines? anyone willing to share his/her experience?
Old 6 days ago
  #18
Gear Addict
 

Is it holy smoke or holy smokes ?
Old 6 days ago
  #19
Gear Guru
 
Brent Hahn's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
in retrospective, how would you characterize large digital tape machines?
I had a bit of time on both the Sony 24 track and the Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi was popular with jingle clients because it was 32-track and you could do more vocal stacks and alternate versions without having to bounce or copy. It was, what, 12-bit? Very chilly and 2-D and it sounded like everything was gated. The Sony was much more "normal." The assistant at Howard Schwartz kept coaching me to keep my levels really cool and not pre-anticipate with EQ, and I don't feel like I had enough time on it to get good at it. But I know folks that did. Not with the Mitsu, though, that thing was weird.
Old 6 days ago
  #20
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
Is it holy smoke or holy smokes ?
Are you a theist or a polytheist?
Old 6 days ago
  #21
Gear Guru
 
Drumsound's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
Lol I thought it was a big deal when I rented 2 for a Patti LaBelle live album at the appolo..
And I'm sure it was at that moment in time.
Old 4 days ago
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackWolf View Post
."Well if you can get a truck and get them out of here by 8pm they're all yours...."
When we shut down the studio where I worked in 2014, one of the "assets" was a Studer D820MCH. I already knew there was no market for it, but was able to part it out for free to anyone with a FedEx account who wanted bits and pieces. I had a post here on Gearslutz offering it up, but only got traction on the Studer mailing list.

The heads went to Germany, capstan motor to the West Coast, power supply transformers (although it's NOT the same as what's in an A827) to Nashville. I kept the transport control panel and head cover as souvenirs. The rest of the machine went to e-waste.

Geoff
Old 3 days ago
  #23
Gear Guru
 
kafka's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcwave View Post
250k in 94 to 1k in 2005 - 11 years

That listing was 13 years ago!

I think this deserves the necro-post of the year award.
Maybe it's moved beyond obsolete since then. Maybe it's de-obsolete.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
yrplace / So much gear, so little time
3
Greg Wells / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
jbohn / So much gear, so little time
12
blumediaprojekt / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
thevwbusguy / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0

Forum Jump
Forum Jump