The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Specific mic question.
Old 29th July 2005

Specific mic question.

Hay all,

I'm starting on a record next month and really want to knock it out of the park. It's a male singer with somewhat of a high and bright voice. Kinda like a boy band sound mixed with Train, new Hanson and Gavin Degraw (sp?). He's really quite a good singer. So, my question is: I have a U195, E49 and SM7 as my main vocal mics. I'm feeling something like the U195 type of voicing but I'm looking for full blown detail (expensive sounding). Any thoughts???

I have a good selection of pres, EQs and compressors for tracking; LTD-1, TG Channel, 737, 80B, BAE 312's, C2, Distressors, 1176

Brad Lunde is shipping me some Brauners this week to try out. I heard some tracks at my buddies studio tracked with a VM1 and they sounded ridiculously goooooood....
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

With vocals you can never tell until you tryit out. A shure SM57 might get you exactly what you are looking for.

You really need to take 10 minutes at the start of the session and do a mic shoot out. I am constantly surprised at the results of mic shoot outs.
Old 30th July 2005

Thanks for the response, you could be right but I can't imagine a 57 getting me what I want.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've worked with Bono....57 mate !!!!!....I suggested SM7.....he tried it...sounded good...but went back to 57......comfort zone.......go figure
Old 30th July 2005

I know Bono uses a 57 but I've never personally had any luck with it myself.
Old 30th July 2005

bump
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a client in that same vein right now, and have had a few in the past.

I usually end up with my Peluso 47LE in to the DW Fearn. Comp'd with whatever, but the combo is so up front, yet dare I say warm. Then again, a 421 into a Neve works wonders sometimes too...

A friend of mine was working on the Pat , Train's singer, solo project...said he ended up with an old Telefunken 47 into his 70's era API console into 1176.

Just teach the cat some mic control and it'll be great either way. You have great gear, make the singer do the work now.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

SM7 is a safe bet. I would (in a perfect world) use a e lam 251, but there is nothing wrong with an SM7. In fact, for louder rock stuff, that is all I would use.
Old 31st July 2005
James- You should check out a Korby KAT 4 system if you haven't yet. The 251, 67M and C12 capsules are great for the kind of vocals you described. If you do want to try one contact Mike at Vintage King. If that doesn't work for you, see if you can get your hands on a Stephen Paul modified U87.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawell
If that doesn't work for you, see if you can get your hands on a Stephen Paul modified U87.
I'd say go one better and find a Klaus Heyne modded U67- I have one and can only describe it as 'stunning'..... The Klaus Heyne VM-1 would be a good choice as well.
Old 31st July 2005

I did have the Korby for a week or so last year and really liked the 251 and C12 capsules.

Does anyone know a mic broker in LA that can bring by some U67, U47, U87 etc to demo?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo
Brad Lunde is shipping me some Brauners this week
brad just let a bunch of us here in nashvegas hear a lot of the brauners today (dave martin's lovely wife, mrs. caroline was our vocalist). the mics included a brauner prototype 67-ish sorta thing. it was great. you should ask brad if you can try that one, too.

--jon
Old 31st July 2005

Jon,

can you get the model number of the brauner you heard?
Old 31st July 2005
Gear Maniac

I gotta tell ya, I picked up one of those modded Apex 460's and man, oh man does it sound good on bright male vocals.

It's cheap, but it sounds amazing with heaps of detail.

My 2cents...
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I always hate where these threads go. Look, a number of mics will work fine. Just give yourself four decent options and figure out which sounds the best. Voices are so different that you absolutely can not tell somebody what mic will work without hearing the voice. If you want to knock something out of the park, do it by making command decisions and showing the band your confidence in the studio. The second they see your indecision, yuo won't have your confidence. The E49 is a plenty good mic. If you use the LTD-1 and the right setting on the 1176, you can't go wrong.
Old 31st July 2005

Your right on the gear tip.

Though it's been threads like these that have helped me personally. Having never worked in a big studio before or understudied under any major producer/engineers, I've used the expirience of these guys to help build my business. I've actually become a good engineer and gearslutz has been an invaluble resource. Every night when I make my bank deposit I use the gearslutz pen Jules gave me to sign the back of the checks, and that's no lie...

p.s. jjblair, nice studio you got. We should hook up for lunch sometime. I'm Hollywood and Cahuenga.
Old 31st July 2005
James...

Thanks for coming by and the great tips again (also thanx Jules)... I'll be meeting your guy on Monday.. Maybe lunch? However, Gadget at GC pro will drop off a number of mics for you to test out ( they let you hold on to them for about a week generally).. If you need his info I can wrestle it up. Otherwise he works at GC in Sheman Oaks. Hey if I'm in your building by then..... Maybe let you hold on to the VM1...
Let's talk soon,
Tim
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Jon,

can you get the model number of the brauner you heard?
man... i wish i remembered... i remember brad said i was a prototype, and would probably be in production next year. the name had "67" in it... leading me to believe it was a clone-ish of the 67. my impression was that it had more hi-freq emphasis... but i'm not sure which pre it was running through at the time.

brad would be able to give you a lot more info on it. he's on gs--try searching for him and shoot him an email or private message.

sorry i wasn't more help!

--jon
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

My best luck in these situations has been with the SM7 or a U67. YMMV.
Old 2nd August 2005

We just received the Brauner Phantom V. We just shot it out against the:

E49
SM7
U195

on the singer we had, a male rock tenor, the brauner was everybodies favorite. It was bright and detailed, sort of what I hear on some U67's I've sang through. Really nice sounding mic.
Old 24th August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know Bono uses a 57 but I've never personally had any luck with it myself.
I've heard this since way back when. Are you sure it isn't a myth? It just seems unbelievable to me.

Go figure the Irish.

Jasper

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search