The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Renting some U67s for drum OH
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Renting some U67s for drum OH

Since my Gefell UM900 went out, I don't have a pair and I have to record some tasty drums this weekend. The only tube LDC's I can get in their place is a pair of U67's. Anyone ever use these on drum overheads? If so, what kind of pre and placement do they excel with for a big rock drum sound. My pre selection is as follows:

Mercury M72s (what I normally use on overheads)
Trident S80 Box
Chandler TG2
Seventh Circle Audio N72 8-Channel

Let me know.
Thanks,
Justin
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

U-67's. My all time favorite overhead mic next to a pair of C-12's.
Yes they will work great. I have used them in a 3 mic technique or more typical spaced overheads. I would use the roll off and probably the pad and they may need a little more eq than some other mics but they will be beautiful. Unless you room has any kind of boxy issues (which if your using the UM-900's you would have found by now since they are also a great mic) you will love how they take eq and the clarity that you can get if you have a good pair of them.

The studio I worked at 8 years ago bought a pair of quite nice ones and I would run them through either the Focusrite Red 4cnl pre or a pair of Neve 1073's.

Now the studio is going downhill and the U-67's never work and they won't send the golden jems into get them fixed

With your pre selection I would choose the SCA but I haven't heard the Mercury. If they are anything like a real V-72 they might be a bit creamy but will probably sound amazing with lots of bottom end (Sometimes good sometimes not. Just depends on your style and preference.)

Give it a go and let me know what you think of them,
Michael Greene
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I would use the U67s OH with the M72. If by some chance there's something with an EQ shelf built in, you might fine yourself wanting to add a 10khz or 12 khz shelf. Or if they have a nice tube EQ like the Pultec EQP1, you might try that. The U67s pre amp is rather dark, even though it's a very bright capsule.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

They're great on overs.
If they have some good C12's, I'd try them first.
Better yet try them both.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
Since my Gefell UM900 went out, I don't have a pair and I have to record some tasty drums this weekend. The only tube LDC's I can get in their place is a pair of U67's. Anyone ever use these on drum overheads? If so, what kind of pre and placement do they excel with for a big rock drum sound. My pre selection is as follows:

Mercury M72s (what I normally use on overheads)
Trident S80 Box
Chandler TG2
Seventh Circle Audio N72 8-Channel

Let me know.
Thanks,
Justin
We have (3) U67 with consecutive SN#s.... Never use them for OHs.... COLES!!! 251s, but not 67s. Don't know why, we'll have to try it.
Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
We have (3) U67 with consecutive SN#s.... Never use them for OHs.... COLES!!! 251s, but not 67s. Don't know why, we'll have to try it.
Oh man....u haven't tried U67's as OHs ? They take comp and EQ like nothing else....I rent'm all the time with API pres....if I can't get U67's, its vintage C12's......I LOVE RENTAL COMPANIES !!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup
Old 30th July 2005
Whats wrong with sticking the stereo version SM69 up 'in da middle'

I love stereo mic's

Yeah I know rental co only had those....

Old 30th July 2005
Lives for gear

Jules, that's what I do, sometimes. It's awseom in M/S and Blumlein. However, the SM69 had a different tube, slightly different preamp and a different transformer. I actually prefer it to the U67 on OH because it lacks that darkness.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

I used the U67s today through the mercury and it sound ****ing awesome. The drum tracks came out great. I ended up using the following:

Kick- Audix D6 -> SCA N72 -> Distressor -> AD16X
Kick 2 - Yamaha Subkick -> N72 ->AD16X
Snare Top - SM57->TG2-> Distressor -> AD16X
Snare Bottom - Sennheiser e609 -> SCA N72-> AD16X
Hi Hat - AKG 451 -> SCA N72 -> AD16X
Ride - AKG 451 -> TG2-> AD16X
Rack Tom 1 - 421 -> SCA N72 - AD16X
Rack Tom 2 - 421 -> SCA N72 - AD16X
Floor Tom 1 - 421 - SCA N72 - AD16X
Floor Tom 2 - 421 - SCA N72 - AD16X
OH L - U67 - Mercury M72s -> Great River EQ-NV-> AD16X
OH R - U67 - Mercury M72s -> Great River EQ-NV-> AD16X
Room L - Avenson STO-2 -> Trident S80 -> Chandler TG1 ->AD16X
Room R - Avenson STO-2 -> Trident S80 -> Chandler TG1 ->AD16X

It's my second big session with my new gear and all I can say is that it was worth every penny.
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

black or silver e609?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
black or silver e609?
A silver.
Old 31st July 2005
Tasty gear list!

44.1 / 48 ?? or 96K ? 24 bit? What DAW?
Old 31st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
I used the U67s today through the mercury and it sound ****ing awesome. The drum tracks came out great. I ended up using the following:

Kick- Audix D6 -> SCA N72 -> Distressor -> AD16X
Kick 2 - Yamaha Subkick -> N72 ->AD16X
Snare Top - SM57->TG2-> Distressor -> AD16X
Snare Bottom - Sennheiser e609 -> SCA N72-> AD16X
Hi Hat - AKG 451 -> SCA N72 -> AD16X
Ride - AKG 451 -> TG2-> AD16X
Rack Tom 1 - 421 -> SCA N72 - AD16X
Rack Tom 2 - 421 -> SCA N72 - AD16X
Floor Tom 1 - 421 - SCA N72 - AD16X
Floor Tom 2 - 421 - SCA N72 - AD16X
OH L - U67 - Mercury M72s -> Great River EQ-NV-> AD16X
OH R - U67 - Mercury M72s -> Great River EQ-NV-> AD16X
Room L - Avenson STO-2 -> Trident S80 -> Chandler TG1 ->AD16X
Room R - Avenson STO-2 -> Trident S80 -> Chandler TG1 ->AD16X

It's my second big session with my new gear and all I can say is that it was worth every penny.
How are the SCA N72's compared to the TG2's? And can you buy a complete rack assembled or do you have to do some soldering yourself?

Cool setup, though I would have used the Great River EQ on the close kick and snare track...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Jules. I did it at 88.2khz just to keep the math easy when going to 44.1
I'm using Nuendo 3. And I got the Adam S3A's. I'm loving my sound.
DirkB: I got the SCA's fully assembled second hand. I got all 8-Channels for $3300. They are great for the money. Really tasty on kick drum. The TG2 is my favorite for guitars and snare.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu
Oh man....u haven't tried U67's as OHs ? They take comp and EQ like nothing else....I rent'm all the time with API pres....if I can't get U67's, its vintage C12's......I LOVE RENTAL COMPANIES !!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup
I use 4038s, or IF I am in the mood for a tubier sound, a pair of 251s. The U67 is not as open on the top, that is why I never tried it. The elam does great as the OHs, but Most of the time, I go for the coles. They are usually just right... I do use the 67s for room sometimes.
Old 2nd August 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K
I use 4038s, or IF I am in the mood for a tubier sound, a pair of 251s. The U67 is not as open on the top, that is why I never tried it. The elam does great as the OHs, but Most of the time, I go for the coles. They are usually just right... I do use the 67s for room sometimes.
84K. LOL!!! The U67s aren't as open on the top so you use 4038s? I mean, I have nothing against using either mic, but I hope you aren't using the 4038 for their openness!

heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search