The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tracking Room: PT LE/HD question
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Tracking Room: PT LE/HD question

Info greatly appreciated:

I'm in a humming and hawing point making this decision. It's a large tracking room that will ONLY be used for tracking. NO mixing and no mastering. Now I am familiar with both HD and LE except for one point.

I understand HD will have better results in summing, better plugs, expandability etc, but from a pure tracking point of view would there be a difference in fidelity using LE with apogee conversion (44.1) than tracking with HD? And in case it matters it's conceivable that we would track up to 16 tracks simultaneously.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

The only problem I see is that you're not going to get 16 channels of Apogee conversion on an LE rig. The 002 has 8 analog ins and 8 digital ins. You'll be able to use Apogee on the 8 dig (Rosetta 800 for example) but you'll be stuck with the stock convertors on the other 8.

If you're not going over 44.1/48, Mix systems are going dirt cheap and offer tons of i/o and you can use Apogee's on everything if you want.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Gsharp - yeah I thouht about that too - my compromise would be to also add an apogee 200 to get 10 ins of their conversion and when stretched use the digi conversion on less important tracks on the rare occasion.

Latency indeed - it seems to be the issue. My only thought is that the facility ca accommodate tracking the band mostly live - how close can I get avoiding the issue on the overdubs and vocals. And won't I have to deal with this issue in HD?
Old 28th July 2005
One with big hooves

Why bother with PT at all?

You could put together a rig with a Motu 24I/O or whatever other interfaces, and you'll be just as functional as PT for about 1/3 the cost of a comperable HD2 system. And, it'll run rings around LE in terms of inputs and conversion quality for not that much more bread.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search