The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My API 3124+m is tripping
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

My API 3124+m is tripping

I have no idea why it all of a sudden starting doing this, but my 3124's channel # four just starting freaking out... the meter all of a sudden pegged red and it stayed in that general vicinity. I pulled it up in Pro Tools and it was making a weird noise that was reminiscent of a bad tube in one of my amps. I disconnected everything from that channel and the meter stayed where it was so I'm assuming the noise was still there. I tried removing the power and waiting a little while, but that didn't fix it either. Any suggestions on getting this fixed? Who should I contact at API? Thanks.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Nut

I had problems like that with mine. 1st time it happened, i sent it back to api. Fast turnaround. No charge. 2nd Time, I talked with Paul Wolf. He fedexed me a new op-amp. He walked me thru installing it myself. Super easy. No soldering. I sent him the old one back. Again, no charge. I would open the top, make sure the op-amp is seated ok. Put a little pressure on it. I'm not sure who to talk to at API now,
Good luck,
Steve
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks Steve, I'll investigate that.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Mark Seman is a great guy to deal with at API!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Well, I just got off the phone with API tech support... they were very cool. It's definitely a bad op-amp... I swapped it out with the one from channel three and it worked fine. Plus, there's some gummy substance on the bottom of the op-amp. Besides the fact that I have a session Sunday and I'm one channel down, I'm glad it's not something worse. I should have the replacement by next week and then I'll be happening.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search