The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Blue Cactus....anyone have any experience with this mic?
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Miss, are you saying that your new one sounds better than your old one? BTW, the new ones still have Latvian capsules and other components. The bodies are made in the US and the mics are assembled in Latvia, just not by JZ. It seems that JZ is apparently one of those brilliant designers and technicians who doesn't know the first thing about business. He might want to read the biography of Colonel Sanders.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

I'm also confused. I bought mine way before JZ discontinued,
believe it to be from mid 2003/late2003, serial# starts with 22, still it has 7 digits, so I think JZ are the one who's bad in calculation..

ruudman
Old 29th July 2005
Gear Head

Thats what I'm trying to get at, is it a new one or old one? The "newer" one was sent to me before JZ stopped dealing with BLUE so that makes me really confused. He said mine is after because of the serial # but mine was sent to me clearly before he stopped with BLUE, that doesn't make any sence. And like any good mic some sound a little different than others, the second one was a little sweeter to my ears.
Old 29th July 2005
Lives for gear

Pulling up my screwdriver to check for JZ on the print..stay tuned

ruudman
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

so did anyone find the results? just wondering.
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Head

I read a post on another forum where a couple of guys tried to take their mics apart and couldn't manage it. I am curious too...
Old 2nd August 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigley
I read a post on another forum where a couple of guys tried to take their mics apart and couldn't manage it. I am curious too...
I am curious as what insight will this information give you. Have you gone to and seen how they they assemble the mic's at both facility's? Do you feel that one place will be better than the other? Is so, what do you have to base this on. If anything Blue told me that the quality control is the US is better than their overseas facility.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Head

Hello - let me respond with a metaphor. Say you have a choice of hiring Neil Young to write a song for you or a former member of Neil Young's band. The band member tells you that he's worked with Neil for years, knows his method for writing songs, and even sat in on sessions so he could learn the production techniques.
Do you hire Neil or the band member?
Well, you'd pretty much have to hear the songs before you could make a decision one way or the other, which is why I started that thread about posting Violet audio samples.
I'm curious about this thread because I'd rather buy a mic from the original designer. I feel that they would have a greater emotional investment in their work. So that's my 2 cents!
Old 5th August 2005
Here for the gear

Message from Blue

All Blue products were designed and created by Blue. Period.

The links that Juris Zarins references, which he falsely asserts to be proof of design patent ownership, are nothing more than deceptively filed registration applications. These have been lawfully opposed – OHIM claim # 000288220-001, 000288220-002, 000288220-003, 000288220-004, 000288220-005, and 000288220-006. This is simply one component of the legal action that Blue has had to take to defend itself from the attacks perpetrated by Juris Zarins, Scruples, and Violet. There will be an official press release issued before the end of the month that will include additional information regarding Blue's legal actions.

Blue isn't just two guys working in a garage. Felix Stanevich is an electrical/production engineer who works for Blue and is a close friend of Martins Saulespurens. Some of the parts made and assembled for Blue, including the tuning rings found on the back of certain capsules, are marked for the purpose of identifying the component manufacturer for warranty purposes. Hence, the JZ initials.

Blue is and always has been an American company with a Latvian counterpart. Blue utilizes many American manufacturers, including machine shops, plating and finishers, box makers, printers, and more. When you buy Blue products, you are supporting American workers and businesses, as well as the American and Latvian employees who rely on Blue for their income. We are all real people, with families and lives, who care very deeply and passionately about what we do.

Blue has a legal obligation to take the high road in this entire situation. Consequently, we can not participate in the banter of these forums. We hope you understand. We also hope you will continue to support Blue - still the same company and same products that you have become familiar with over the last decade.
Old 19th December 2005
Lives for gear

Re: the "wooly" theme in this thread and jj's speculation that it is due to the amp circuitry as opposed to the capsule ...

Does anyone have knowledge of, or experience with, any sort of modifications to the Cactus? Does BLUE modify their own mics?

Tube substitutions?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search