The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SSL 4000 G+ Classic...
Old 25th August 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother
Yes, but the Classic and SE hit the streets long after the 9000J's.
[/url]
I know, I was referring to the original G+... If you look at the post above that I said that they made the Classic around 2000.
Old 25th August 2005
Gear Nut

Just to clarify a bit the affirmations above (and you can take that info to the bank):

- G series: launched 187
- G+ Series: launched 1993
- G+ SE and Classic: same console, except the colour. About 20ish SEs built, Classic: I only know of one. It was renamed from Se to Classic to satisfy Sound Castle's owner ego and help their marketing. The SE had pretty much lost gas by then. The SE was introduced in 1996 (but I may be early by one year).
- 8000 and 8000B are 2 different consoles. 8000 is Multi-Format (music and post, 5.1 format), introduced in 1989 (or 1991, memory is blured). 8000B is purely broadcast and has no computer (except for one at TV Globo). Introduced 1993. 8000B was a "serialising" of a number of custom mods originally made for NBC. But then again, every single 8000B is pretty much customised, except for the 8024B Standard Configuration.

Anything else, don't be afraid to ask.

The SSLArchivesWorm
Old 25th August 2005
Lives for gear

I saw an 9056j for 188k somewhere but can't find it anymore. must have been sold.

http://www.harborsound.com/used.html

Quote:
SSL 4000G w/G+ upgrades 76 frame/ 72 inputs(64 mono, 8 stereo), Total Recall, Plasma, righthand patchbay, 3.5 drive, Zip drive picture $89,995.00.
SSL 4064G+ w/Ultimation price on request
SSL 4040G+, Total Recall, VU meters, VCA's, left patchbay $79,950.00.
SSLG 56 inputs/TR/Black eq's/8"floppy w/Bernoulli's, Bargraph meters price on request
SSL 9056J, VU, LCRS Surround ,8 track monitoring mixer option $199,500.00.

4000G plus classic vs 9000J ????? 9000J right?
Old 26th August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
4000G plus classic vs 9000J ????? 9000J right?
I'd say sure, but just to be the devil's advocate:

1) Although the total power dissipation of a 9000J (9K in short) is typically only 20% more than that of a similar size 4000, you need to know that poser dissipation in the control room is double. Is your airco up to it? What's the additional investment?

2) If you are going to attract external customers and engineers, check your targeted market. Will they work easily on a 9K ?

3) Maintenance costs: 9K is more expensive than a 4K. (and it heats-up more, as I said above)

4) Check additional interfaces needed to control external tape-machines if that's the case

5) The 4k might be in (much) better shape than the 9K. Or the opposite Check service history of both consoles with SSL Inc. first. They have history files of all consoles, and that service is FOC. I'm no big fan of Harboursound myself - they are basically traders, unlike PAD for example.

6) Shop around, talk to customers, engineers, SSL staff.

Best of luck.
Old 26th August 2005
Lives for gear

found it http://garpro.com/home

but it looking like money will be going on the AMS and a few dbx 160a,x,or xt's
I know the SSL rack compressors are gonna cost a few pennies. heh I have a packet in the mail from SSL. Should get it in a few.
Old 26th August 2005
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic
found it http://garpro.com/home

but it looking like money will be going on the AMS and a few dbx 160a,x,or xt's
I know the SSL rack compressors are gonna cost a few pennies. heh I have a packet in the mail from SSL. Should get it in a few.
Yeah, but dbx will not give you the SSL channel compressor sound.

Old SSL's used dbx VCAs, but that's it. The circuit is totally different and so is the sound. If you want the sound of SSL channel compressors there is nothing else. Not even close.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search