The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lexicon M300 vs. PCM70 as Main Reverb
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Lexicon M300 vs. PCM70 as Main Reverb

I'm considering replacing my Ecoplate II plate reverb with something a little smaller like a Lexicon M300 (cannot afford a 480) or a PCM70. I've hear the 480 some years ago and really loved the way it sounded (closest thing I have heard to a plate) and I understand that the 300 includes a subset of the 480 reverbs. Could someone who has used both (preferably in an A/B test) comment on which they prefer and why? Am I going to be kicking myself for letting the plate go or is there actually a digital reverb out there that can come close?

Thanks,

Action
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I've owned and enjoyed the 300 and PCM 70.
If I had to choose one it would be the 300.
True stereo in/out, AES/EBU, engine is similiar to the 480.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

I think the 300 has "the sound" that you remember from the 480.

The 70,90 series stuff is very nice, but not the same as the 300 or 300L

You should A/B them if you can, I did at B&H in nyc when they had a demo room.

Night and day, even through headphones.

just my $.02

Have you demo'ed a kurzweil KSP-8 yet? I'd look at one of those if I were in the market for a #1 reverb.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

i was kinda dissapointed bout the 300 . guess if , then theres only the 480 or the even bigger brother
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

The PCM-70 is pretty noisy.

I like the KSP8 suggestion, or the Kurzweil Rumour as well. Don't let the price fool you, the Rumour is a very nice sounding box. I'd take that over the PCM-70 anyday unless I was looking for that specific PCM-70 flavor.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

The ksp8 is a bit complex for my simple brain.

The 300 left me a little cold but if you can get one with a LARC then people think you have a 480!

I love the PCM70 and if yours is noisy then it sounds like it needs a service.
Old 26th July 2005
I owned both, and preferred the 300 over the PCM91 for most things. The 300 sounded richer, and was much better for classical recordings, for sure. I sold both and got a 960 to have more channels and higher sample rate. I do like the 960 better, but there are some sounds in the 300 I still might like to use, if I had one. I certainly don't need a PCM91, though it did have some cool production space presets I liked. The "Stadium" preset was great for making national anthem demos for singers! Haven't tried the Kurzweil (because it's only 44.1/48). Only the Lexicons sound like Lexicons, if you're after that sound. For yet a different flavor, try the tc Reverb4000.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeCained
The ksp8 is a bit complex for my simple brain.
Have you checked out the Princeton Digital 2016? It's made for guys like us! Sounds pretty good too.
Old 27th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
The PCM-70 is pretty noisy.
Like mine, but I still use the M300 for everything. With a little eq on its reverb, the M300 is still my beloved reverb.
Luca
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

I have a Lexicon 480, 300 and a PCM70 at my studio. I use the PCM70 all the time - it does something to the drums nothing else does and it's not noisy at all if you have your gainstaging right (don't be too afraid of the red led). The 480 is just the 480 I couldn't live without it - one of the best digital boxes every made IMNSHO. The 300 is just not half as cool as the other 2 - I rarely use it. I was even considering to sell it. It's not bad but it lacks the magic the other 2 have.

Btw I'd take a Eventide 2016 as a main reverb and not a PCM70 because the PCM70 is a one or two trick pony and the 2016 is very good for doing the not so obvious reverb sound - just a wonderful box.

Jo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search