The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
golden vocal chain: huge, warm, super intimate?
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Guru

golden vocal chain: huge, warm, super intimate?

okay, pressing on with the dream of marrying the intimacy of nick drake and james taylor with the psychedelic mystery of massive attack and portishead, these are my current candidates to audition:

pre: phoenix drs1, tab v78, chandler ltd1

comp: la2a, api 525, daking 91579

anything missing from that list you think i'd be a fool to not try out? keep this in mind: my music is ALL ABOUT the vocal, and the vocal has to be magical. i can deliver it, now i need to capture it. i have no interest in a neutral pre or transparent compression or any sort of homage to "honesty". larger than life, velvet, thick, and forward is the goal here.

mic is a u99.

thanks!

gregoire
del ubik
Old 25th July 2005
I haven't tried the ones you mentioned, but you might want to audition a DW Fearn, if you haven't already done so. It's pretty "huge" and "magical" to me.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I recently had luck with a Brauner VM-1 -> Wunder PEQ-1R -> Vari Mu heh
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

Another vote for the DW Fearn. After getting it there is nothing else I record vocals with. thumbsup
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Fearn...same as the last guy. I stopped taking notes on which pre my vocals were going into once I got it. Beats out my Neves and API's 98% of the time regardless of the style.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

i love my d.w. fearn vt-2 on vocals as well. last vocals i cut were a shure sm-7b> d.w. fearn vt-2> pendulum es-8> cranesong hedd. worked out really well.
joshua
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Maniac

for me the vocals on mezzanine always sounded as if there was an pultec (maybe a tubetec - i d even rather bet on the tubetec if i had to ) on the vocal chain, too.
i can imagine an la2a/tube tec chain coupled with high quality mics and pres the ticket to go.
Old 26th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS
for me the vocals on mezzanine always sounded as if there was an pultec (maybe a tubetec - i d even rather bet on the tubetec if i had to ) on the vocal chain, too.
i can imagine an la2a/tube tec chain coupled with high quality mics and pres the ticket to go.
The vocal sound and over all sonics of Massive Attack is a lot Spike Stent.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

DW Fearn is also my default for "huge warm super intimate". You certainly need to put it on your short list of things to try.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

U47 - V76 - Fairchild 670
Old 26th July 2005
Neumann U47 - Telefunken V76
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

ah crap. okay. the fearn is on the short list. $2300 for one channel, that makes the average slut look positively chaste.

as for the massive attack vocal sound, that's not for me. i love the mixes on mezzanine, they're pure genius, but i don't care for the tone of it at all, sounds like all the worst things ssl has to offer: peaky mids, hard glassy hi's.

i want their tricked out compressy fatness with the intimacy and warmth of a folk track.

wish me luck...

gregoire
del ubik
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

good luck. post about the fearn if you buy it.

- jack
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Fearn with a good ribbon might surprise you. Vocals just seem to emerge from nowhere... a great bloom with ribbons. And the Fearn has plenty of gain for them.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

The Fearn micpre is great, we have it and love it... but the input distorts easily. Try the Pendulum MDP too... it is awesome and less $$$... but definitely try them both (as well as any other contenders).
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

The Wunder PEQ1R is super-saucy with any real decent mic and your fave comp to match the specific singer's voice type... thumbsup
Old 26th July 2005

as Lindell mentioned, a great U47 and v76 is a thing of beauty!
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

IMExperience huge warm super intimate = not****mic+cranked preamp+good eq+heavy good comp+good eq.

I've always had a pretty hard time getting a real good hard comp on vocals with a Crane Song Trakker. Optical can come sort of close but it usually sounds "flattened" rather than "magnified" to me. Trakker seems more like a auto-leveler. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Addict

MY "GOLDEN" VOCAL PATH: (this ain't cheep...)

Neumann Solution D @ 96K worked fairly close w/good DOUBLE pop screen - dial-in pattern to suit proximity response desired (this is done by software remote control in the control room). Use the D's built-in high-freq. compressor as needed for de-essing.

TO:
dCS 955 DAC @ 96K

TO:
GML 8900

TO: (if needed)
Millennia Media Twin-Com in VT mode - no compression, just passing through...

TO:
EMM Labs ADC

TO:
Sonoma DSD workstation

TO:
EMM dacs to analog mix path - Hill-modded 8078 is my favorite!

An alternative for recording to pcm workstation:
"D" directly to workstation @ 96K or as-required
dCS dac out of the vocal track to same path above
to best analog mix path of all tracks

here's an example (lowly 128k MP3) of the above path: (scroll down and click on "Last Dance / Dancing in the Dark")
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title...WJENW3M8RS9JJ1
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

How about my excellent A DESIGNS MP-2R ?

See the classifieds ... its in triple mint shape with very low hours ... the top of line higher gain model ... $1550 + shipping .

[email protected]
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear
Neumann M49 or U47 -> Altec 1567a(tube), Neve, or Daking -> High End Comp.
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX
here's an example (lowly 128k MP3) of the above path: (scroll down and click on "Last Dance / Dancing in the Dark")

well now, that's just plain gorgeous. the whole mix, in fact.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yikes. That's pretty freaking good!
Old 27th July 2005
Gear Maniac

And to change a bit from previous choices, I'd say Fearn!
Ubik, I'm pretty sure you'd dig ribbons, I love Beyer M160s for that kind of purpose, it's not clean at all (their output level is very low so I often end up cranking the gain to max on the Fearn), but it's got a natural 3D presence that I really like.
Of course there must be other magic combos...

Cheers,

Tom VDH
Old 27th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
The vocal sound and over all sonics of Massive Attack is a lot Spike Stent.
Nearly everything on that album was tracked though Avalon 737's. I agree 100% that 'Spike' made it what to me is a super fuken amazing sounding album that traverses moods,vibes and sonics in a one deft move over the course of 50 or so minutes.... easily one of my top 10 for SO many reasons.

But then again i think 'Spike' has nearly as much outboard and toys as 'Thrill'.. heh heh heh

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
anything missing from that list you think i'd be a fool to not try out? keep this in mind: my music is ALL ABOUT the vocal, and the vocal has to be magical. i can deliver it, now i need to capture it. i have no interest in a neutral pre or transparent compression or any sort of homage to "honesty". larger than life, velvet, thick, and forward is the goal here.
U47, Siemens V78 (hitting hard), Siemens U273a (comp)... and than it sounds like larger than life, velvet, thick and forward...

... at least on my voice

Andreas
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

ubik, for me a great deal of what makes a vocal sound intimate is the compression. I don't think you are going to get the same type of intimacy with an LA2A or any ELOP that you would with an FET or vari-MU type. Out of your list, I would get the Daking. I still think that an 1176 is my desert island compressor, and the Bones Howe setting for vocals is magical. Get an 1176 or a Purple clone before you get another comprssor, if you don;t have one already.

While important, I don't think that there will be as much variance in intimacy from one pre to the next as there will be in different mics or compressors. Without hearing the voice or the style, I can't tell you which mic or mic pre to select, but it sounds like you will want something with a pronounced and open top end with robust lows that isn't too brittle or sibilant, as far as the mic selection goes.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
I still think that an 1176 is my desert island compressor, and the Bones Howe setting for vocals is magical.
Hey JJ...

I just did some Googling, and I came up empty-handed... what is this Bones Howe setting of which you speak?

cheers,

matt heh
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:

This is beautiful. But again, an example of great musicians playing the right parts on good sounding instruments, and great arrangements. They (beautifully) leave a lot of room for the singer, which is really the point. If all that is happening, one has a chance to make a magnificent recording like this. At that point, its all on the engineer. YIKES!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear
Congratulations, Michael: you've made a sale. After hearing that track, I bought the album.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search