The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
golden vocal chain: huge, warm, super intimate?
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmix
This is beautiful. But again, an example of great musicians playing the right parts on good sounding instruments, and great arrangements. They (beautifully) leave a lot of room for the singer, which is really the point. If all that is happening, one has a chance to make a magnificent recording like this. At that point, its all on the engineer. YIKES!
If only every gig were that easy. . . . . .

BTW, Bob, I like your screen name.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair
ubik, for me a great deal of what makes a vocal sound intimate is the compression...

While important, I don't think that there will be as much variance in intimacy from one pre to the next as there will be in different mics or compressors. Without hearing the voice or the style, I can't tell you which mic or mic pre to select...

thanks for the words, jj. here's my voice and the style, i would be deeply grateful if you (and anyone else) were to listen and make recommendations based on what you hear:

http://www.iloveubik.com/tracks/ubik...tributions.mp3

i use a u99, which i preferred over the elux251, brauner vm1, and a 47fet for the reasons you mentioned (open top, robust bottom). i currently kiss a langevin elop and api 2500 on the way in, with the uad la2a doing the rest at mix. the plugin is very unsatisfactory, hence this thread.

i love the 1176, but i have this desire to get less popular tools that do an equally stellar job in a slightly different way than the traditional go-to's, in a vainglorious attempt to have my productions sound a little different than everyone else's.

thanks for your time,

gregoire
del ubik
Old 28th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut

But then again i think 'Spike' has nearly as much outboard and toys as 'Thrill'.. heh heh heh

Cheers
Wiggy

Hey Wiggy,

Be careful about spreading rumors. heh

Nah i only wish i had Stents setup.

Hey they don't call him the TLA of Europe for nothing.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Recently for "huge, warm, and super intimate" I've been using an all Manley chain....

Gold Reference into a Vox Box. 8 out of 10 times it's done. I don't need any eq and the compressor keeps it right in your face.
Old 28th July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator
Congratulations, Michael: you've made a sale. After hearing that track, I bought the album.
Thank you!!! I hope you got the SACD - it's also a CD-compatible hybrid. The DSD program (stereo & surround) is what I really recorded/mixed to. The CD is the boiled-down version, just as the MP3 sample you heard is boiled-down from the CD!

BTW, yes - the musicians and arrangements make "room" for the vocal. The pianist/arranger, Christian Jacob, is a master at that. The band & Tierney make MY job easy!
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b i k
larger than life, velvet, thick, and forward is the goal here.
hey ya,
i used a sm7-api 512-distressor last night(hand held) and it was huge on the singers voice...
joe
www.orbitaudiorocks.com
Old 28th July 2005
There is only one

with a U99 all i have to do for my voice is get on that mic and its there as warm and intimate [usually running into a flamingo with fat engaged]... thats my whole chain, but i think my voice just REALLY suits that mic.... or mic suits my voice? whichever way.
Old 28th July 2005
Lives for gear

Soundelux U95S --> V76 --> 1176LN Rev D

A nice tube compressor is next on my list
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBishopSFX
Thank you!!! I hope you got the SACD - it's also a CD-compatible hybrid. The DSD program (stereo & surround) is what I really recorded/mixed to...
Hi Michael, I loved the sound too--even at whisper volumes (broken hardware here). I count 3 AD and 2 DA conversions. Do you think ADC-equipped mics like the Solution-D are the high-end future? Does the ADC right in the mic cure more ills than the extra AD/DA conversion adds, or is that mic just the bees-knees? Also, inquiring minds wonder how the dCS stacks up vs. the EMM...though I understand if you don't want to go there.
Thanks, Sam
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
thanks for the words, jj. here's my voice and the style, i would be deeply grateful if you (and anyone else) were to listen and make recommendations based on what you hear:

i use a u99, which i preferred over the elux251, brauner vm1, and a 47fet for the reasons you mentioned (open top, robust bottom). i currently kiss a langevin elop and api 2500 on the way in, with the uad la2a doing the rest at mix. the plugin is very unsatisfactory, hence this thread.

i love the 1176, but i have this desire to get less popular tools that do an equally stellar job in a slightly different way than the traditional go-to's, in a vainglorious attempt to have my productions sound a little different than everyone else's.

thanks for your time,

gregoire
del ubik
apologies for resurrecting this thread from the dead, all!

gregory, please share where your quest has taken you today. now that you have several specialized sonic tools on offer, do they play a role within your vocal tracking to yield that buttery, intimate, huge and silky sound? (not quoting you exactly but these are things i'm aiming for along with a bit of stardust!)

also, i'd hoped to hear your vocal sample but it's long gone...

thanks much,
h
Old 19th November 2013
Here for the gear

Quote:

thanks for your time,

gregoire
del ubik
apologies for resurrecting this thread from the dead, all!

gregory, please share where your quest has taken you today. now that you have several specialized sonic tools on offer, do they play a role within your vocal tracking to yield that buttery, intimate, huge and silky sound? (not quoting you exactly but these are things i'm aiming for along with a bit of stardust!)

also, i'd hoped to hear your vocal sample but it's long gone...

thanks much,
h
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
okay, pressing on with the dream of marrying the intimacy of nick drake and james taylor with the psychedelic mystery of massive attack and portishead, these are my current candidates to audition:

pre: phoenix drs1, tab v78, chandler ltd1

comp: la2a, api 525, daking 91579

anything missing from that list you think i'd be a fool to not try out? keep this in mind: my music is ALL ABOUT the vocal, and the vocal has to be magical. i can deliver it, now i need to capture it. i have no interest in a neutral pre or transparent compression or any sort of homage to "honesty". larger than life, velvet, thick, and forward is the goal here.

mic is a u99.

thanks!

gregoire
del ubik

My Chain is:

Soundelux E49> Great River MP-2NV > EQ-2NV > Chandler Germanium Compressor > Manley Massive Passive.

It's pretty much the best vocal sound I've ever gotten, though you could sub out the Chandler for a Slate Dragon for a more modern vibe.
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

My choice would be Brauner VM-1 with the the tube side of the Manley TNT, but, as the owner of a DW Fearn VT-7, I'm sure his pre would be killing.
Keith
Please visit www.KeithFelch.com to listen to clips from my new album--
"Mirrored Response".
Old 19th November 2013
Lives for gear

Big warm lush intimate
Telefunken 251 into retro powerstrip
Flea u47 into tubetech mp1a la2a
Old 19th November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitney View Post
I haven't tried the ones you mentioned, but you might want to audition a DW Fearn, if you haven't already done so. It's pretty "huge" and "magical" to me.
Pre or comp?
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Nut

personnaly , i take a shoot with a good ribbon like AEA stuff and a retro instrument powerstrip...
Old 21st November 2013
Wow, would love to hear Greg's experiences, and what works best for him now????
Old 22nd November 2013
Gear Addict

re

HI UBK,

I'll go with that chian for Your goal:

U47 (similar topologies) or electro Voice re20, NEVE (real good one or clone) LA2A or Your FATSO, and COMPEX OR similar FET for modern Touch.

PLATE plus HALL accord to song tune.
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

U47 brass longbody vf14m -> maihak w75a -> maihak v41b -> retro 176/tab u73b/teletronix la3a greyface/urei 1176 rev a/ab/b -> neve 1884 -> burl bomber
Old 22nd November 2013
Lives for gear

VM-1 >>> Hardy M-1>>>CL-1 = number 1 vocal chain. (not surprised are you)
Old 22nd November 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by themixbedroom View Post
personnaly , i take a shoot with a good ribbon like AEA stuff and a retro instrument powerstrip...

I dig the RETRO with the AEA 44!!! it's old school kool.

Also the Fearn VT1 sounds amazing with the AEA 44.
It is perfect sounding for my ears.
Old 23rd November 2013
Gear Maniac
Have you tried an RCA BA-21a? Rare and they need to be powered, etc, but incredible. Unbeatable i might even say. As a fan of your posts and perspectives, I think you'd love it. You're welcome to hear some here.

Sent from my LS670

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search