The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gefell quality issues - MT71S alternatives Condenser Microphones
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

After all the praise for Microtech Gefell in this thread I decided to get an UMT 70S. After testing it for 3-4 months I must say I'm slightly disappointed when considering the price. There is nowhere I prefer the Gefell over my other cheaper mics like Oktavamod MK-012, Beyer mc930, Oktava MK-219 or various dynamics/ribbons.

The Gefell might be more versatile than some of my other mics but I was expecting to be blown away and I just wasn't. I rarely use it.

Let me put it this way:

If I could keep only ONE mic it would be an Oktavamod MK-012.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Wanna great deal ??

Wanna great deal on a great Gefell mic ??

I bought two of them . Gefell M930 ART with a PVC M7 capsule

Microtech Gefell - M 930 art Anniversary Edition inkl. EH 93 Halterung - Rock Shop Online-Shop
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

have you guys seen the new Innertube Audio retrofit called the "MIC-robrew for this mic??????

looks kickass, and i posted it in the "new products" forum.
Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
After all the praise for Microtech Gefell in this thread I decided to get an UMT 70S. After testing it for 3-4 months I must say I'm slightly disappointed when considering the price. There is nowhere I prefer the Gefell over my other cheaper mics like Oktavamod MK-012, Beyer mc930, Oktava MK-219 or various dynamics/ribbons.

The Gefell might be more versatile than some of my other mics but I was expecting to be blown away and I just wasn't. I rarely use it.

Let me put it this way:

If I could keep only ONE mic it would be an Oktavamod MK-012.
Sorry to hear that, I was in the same situation as you a few months ago when I researched about MG mics, particulary the MT71.s.
I borrowed one along with a M92.1.s from digital audio service in Hamburg.
I compared the MT71.s to my Beyer MC834, and prefered the Beyer, which I found more opened and detailed.
But I ended up buying the M92.1.s which I think is great although I'm curious to know if it belongs to the later crop of M7 capsules. Anyhow it's a great mic.
Old 1st December 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Ray View Post
no problem! if you ever have anything to ask of them, please dont hesistate to ask, I talk to those folks regularly. They are old friends(some of them anyway)
Teddy,

Since you are a licensed Microtech Gefell dealer in the USA can you provide an update on the Gefell order that I placed with you for a matched pair of M930 and a matched pair of M300?

When will these be shipped to me? I would appreciate a response.

Old 1st December 2009
Lives for gear

hey gretsch, how did you hook this up? will they sell to america? teddy, do you still have a hookup to buy directly from the factory? i'm still teetering between an m930 or a UM70s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post

Microtech Gefell - M 930 art Anniversary Edition inkl. EH 93 Halterung - Rock Shop Online-Shop
Old 2nd December 2009
Lives for gear

Bought from Germany

I bought from the Rock Shop in Germany .
They ship to the USA . They take off about 17 % for the VAT tax , then convert the money from Euro's to Dollars and that's it .

Let me know if your interested and I'll look up the name of the guy I dealt with
by Email .
Old 16th January 2010
Here for the gear

M930 vs M930 ART

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretschman View Post

Have you used an M930 as well? I was wondering what the difference in sound was between the two.

Also, what did the price translate to in U.S. dollars?

Thanks!
Old 23rd February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM2 View Post
Have you used an M930 as well? I was wondering what the difference in sound was between the two.
Same here.
Old 23rd February 2010
Lives for gear

I've used several Microtech Gefell mics, for many years, and always thought they were of the highest quality.

The only problem I've ever encountered was a minor one and many years ago. I noticed a small imperfection in the finish of one of my mics, and the folks at Gotham Audio (G Prime?) were very helpful in FedExing me out a loaner mic, while the finish was repaired. Seemless service and to my satisfaction.
Old 26th January 2011
Gear Maniac

I ve seen the VF14k from the inside. Its a joke.
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail View Post
We have three Gefell UM70-s, a 930 and a pair of M300.
They get used daily. Never had any problems with MG-mics.

/Rich
are there any situations where you prefer a m300 over the m930 and the um70s on vocals?
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
are there any situations where you prefer a m300 over the m930 and the um70s on vocals?
Not often, but I did once have a situation where I had to record a female vocal with an SDC.

SHe had an excellent voice and the SCD reproduced it faithfully and without the colouration you often get with an LDC.

So, yes, there can be situations where the M 300 would work well.

(and Håkan do a Pop Killer that fits to a Rycote UNV-7HG III specially for this use)

Attached Thumbnails
Gefell quality issues - MT71S alternatives-p110_inv-7hg-h_with_m300_1000.png  
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Willett View Post
Not often, but I did once have a situation where I had to record a female vocal with an SDC.

SHe had an excellent voice and the SCD reproduced it faithfully and without the colouration you often get with an LDC.

So, yes, there can be situations where the M 300 would work well.

(and Håkan do a Pop Killer that fits to a Rycote UNV-7HG III specially for this use)

damn i want to try them all .... at least i have already the hakan pop killer hahaa

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search