The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mci jh 110a or Studer A80 mk1 8 track? Modular Synthesizers
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

mci jh 110a or Studer A80 mk1 8 track?

HI
Anybody have direct experience with these two machines ?
Many thanks
David
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

yes. Both are on and rolling tape right now in my studio.

Recapped and relapped and everything.

What do you need to know???
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I have a JH-110A 8-track that I totally recapped and upgraded all op amps in the audio path. It sounds superb. The heads on mine are recently relapped too. I've never heard the Studer so I can't comment. We'll have to wait for KungfuT to tell us more.

I will say that my MCI has sucked up a lot of my time trying to get it in primo operating condition. It had a lot of problems. However, parts seem to be readily available and not too expensive (unlike Studer) and if you sign up for Steve Sadler's tech service by phone/email then you'll have all the help you need to tackle any issue that may arise.

Brad
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

Ok so . I think I spend at least 1000-1500 on the mci. not including relapping.

The mci if you want one will need recapping, and the red molex connectors usually go bad. They need to be changed. Try to get one with transformers. The ones w/o dont sound as good...

The mci is not bad though, after working it up back into shape it has run excellently.
Mci has varispeed on the deck.

The studer is great. Great sound. A little more punch and fullness on the low end...

Id get the studer if I were you, but beware, I have heard and read that the mark 1 sometimes freak out. Not sure of this from personal experience...
Do some follow up to this I am curious as well..
all in all, 1 inch eight track is a great format for many reasons, if you like using it yourself. Get used to bouncing tracks together and deciding on the fly what you want the sound to be...
Some studio pros/atists have no use for it and it's limited capabilities because everyone is used to protools and the million choices/options it comes with.

I myself can print drums to one track and be plenty happy but not everyone can deal...
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

My MCI 1"/8ch was almost unused when I got it, and I never got to use it much, maybe like 200 hrs playtime, so the heads are still like new. I had a tech looking at it confirming that the heads are mint cond, and that I was lucky enough to have a later set of heads on it, which is why I write this post... I believe the brand is Vulcan, which are better than an earlier brand. The tech worked for MCI for years installing consoles and tape machines so he knew what he was talking about. Mine is for sale in the classifieds BTW.
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuT View Post
yes. Both are on and rolling tape right now in my studio.

Recapped and relapped and everything.

What do you need to know???
Thanks needed to know a comparison of sound and reliability which you,ve pretty much answered.
I heard that the studer mk1 sounds very good.
What model do you have?
I also love the idea of working on 8 tracks with its supposed limitations.

david
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Addict

the mark 1 does sound good as do early mark 2 machines as I have.

The cards I believe are discreet...
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

A 110A does have a transformer coupling the repro head and another one on the output. Also it has more discrete circuitry in addition to some IC based amplifer circuits. The later "C" revision was all chips, no tranformers, no discrete. Something to consider. While the "C" may technically be improved you may find the sound of the "A" to be more rock 'n roll.

Brad
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
If you are going to buy a 8 track 1 inch MCI I would buy the 110c its a later version and has better design than the 110a.

I have a 1 inch 8 track MCI 110c for sale. I am mostly using the Radar now and mixing to NAGRA or CD via Mytek. The MCI sounds great though.
How much are you asking for you MCI by the way? I know a guy looking for one.

Brad
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

I would also like to know.
Old 12th April 2009
Lives for gear

JH-110C for sale in NY

I've got a beautiful MCI / Sony JH-110C with autolocator for sale if anyone is interested?

Accepting offers..
Attached Thumbnails
mci jh 110a or Studer A80 mk1 8 track?-mci-1.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search