The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic and Preamp investment Condenser Microphones
Old 9th April 2009
Here for the gear

Mic and Preamp investment

This summer, with my new job, I plan on investing in some rather pricey gear (by my standards). I currently have a very minimal, non-existent, set-up with an mbox2 and sterling audio st-51 microphone. Now that I'm going to have the money I'm trying to invest in the following:

Either a digi002 or digi003 rack with BLA upgrade, A set of pres to lightpipe into the digi003, and a vocal mic.

For the vocal mics my budget is around $1000. I've been thinking of the akg414 because of the pad versatility or the neumann tlm103.

For the pres I was thinking about the presonus digimaxfs because the price. My question is whether to wait on buying pres until I have more money or if these would be recommended.

Suggestions and criticism welcome.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Start combing through the forums and you will find tons of information on any of the pieces of gear that you have mentioned. Use the search function and look up the gear that you are considering - that will get you a long way and you will find tons of (conflicting) pros and cons on the gear heh

That said - I would wait till you can afford nice pres (GR 1NV) and a KSM44 might suit you well and save you some cash.

Good luck.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Head

I don't think the TLM 103 is worth the money, BLUE and Mojave have some stuff in that price range. It's best to demo or at least hear what they sound like before jumping in on a buy.

I would start with the mic, i have used a Soundelux U99S with an M-Box and and got some pretty nice male rock vocals. I know Soundelux is no longer and have not heard the new "Bock" versions that took over but it's in the price range.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Forget modding your digi-dongle; begin to regard it as such, or as a control surface in the case of the factory (fader) models. my advice would be to select higher quality converters (AD and DA) that interface with said dongle, then get input transducers and processing that suit your tastes/objectives.

If you're simply recording vocals most of the time, a 2 channel converter with SPDIF interface and a single mic pre will get you on the path to nirvana, and allow you to purchase higher quality of each for the amount of money you plan to spend, and you can use it to get into the mBox you already have. It will also allow you to play with combinations til you hit on what you think is the best...ie, Mytek/Millennia, Apogee/Chandler, whatever...it's endless. by prowling the used markets, you can rest fairly assured that when you switch something, you won't lose much or any of what you put in. When you hit on the combination of preamp and converter that work for you, the time to drop serious cash is when you need to record more than 2 channels at a time....for me that's in the range of $10k for 8 AD and DA and mic pres. I bought the converters first but should've taken the approach I'm suggesting, because now I'm playing catch-up in the preamp dep't and renting what I don't have.
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

I strongly recommend the Chameleon TS2 any day of the week over the 103 or the 414. It's a fantastic sounding tube mic, and is extremely affordable. It ain't much to look at, but you can buy them online for $600. I was extremely impressed with these when I tested them.

Their 7602 preamp/EQ is really impressive, as well.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
I strongly recommend the Chameleon TS2 any day of the week over the 103 or the 414. It's a fantastic sounding tube mic, and is extremely affordable. It ain't much to look at, but you can buy them online for $600. I was extremely impressed with these when I tested them.
edit: found your EQ review.
anyplace I could find some samples?
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Addict

Well, I'm going to second that call for the Shure KSM44. It has a pad, and 3 selectable pick-up patterns. It is extremely versatile. A great all around mic. You can find these used on the net around $550-600.

For pre amps, I would start out with API's A2D. It gives you 2 channels of great A/D conversion and 2 outstanding pre's. You must clock your Digi unit to this thing because it makes the digi sound a bit better (of course this is my opinion). The new A2D's run around $1900.

If you do end up with a BLA modded 002/003 you will then have 6 usable mic pre's, 2 of which will be very high end.

At this point, if budget is about done (for a lot of people, this is a lot of money), you should be fine with getting a presonus digimax unit to access the remaining lightpipe inputs.

I wish you the best,
Rob
Old 10th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo Brain View Post
edit: found your EQ review.
anyplace I could find some samples?
Bottom of the page.

Chameleon Labs TS-2
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

thanks, that immediately makes me want to get an M49 (even though there's some weird distortion going on in the sample).
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

SM7B.
Old 11th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post

Their 7602 preamp/EQ is really impressive, as well.

yeah, i love chameleon labs, stuff, too. i love mojave audio, too. best bang for the buck rig, IMO, ma-200 or ma-201 into a CL 7602.

rich

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search