The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
packing my lunchbox! 500 Series Preamps
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

packing my lunchbox!

hi all,

i'm interested in getting an avedis ma5 to add to my lunchbox. i've been most happy with kick and vocal sounds when i've tracked through neve. no, the ma5 isn't neve, but it's as close as i'm going to get in the lunchbox format.

i was wondering what your opinions might be as to which module should be userped to accommodate the ma5, so here's the current lunchbox contents, and what the different pre's have mainly been used for:

two api512c (kick, snare/electric guitar/bass)
two purple audio biz mkii (overheads)
one lachapell 583s (acoustic guitar/vocals/mono overhead)

one option could be to swap out one of the api's for an ma5. that way i would still have a stereo pair (the biz's), with api and nevesque sounds covered too... the lachapelle is lovely so that's going nowhere!

i'd love to demo an ma5, but unfortunately i can't find anyone who sells them in the uk.

any views welcome, including "you've posted this in the wrong place" or "stop whinging and make some music for gawd's sake!!!".

cheers,

neil
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Addict

I remember a couple weeks ago when one of the guys at Merc brought up keeping the module that wasn't in use in the mic locker and swapping them out as necessary. Obviously not a difficult or time taxing procedure, and you get to keep both of your 512s!
Old 9th April 2009
Someone should probably make a lunchbox with snap in holders. You'd just have to move a locking mechanism to one side before the power button would work, so that you couldn't pull them out while it's powered up. But otherwise that would make for a flexible scenario. It doesn't make a lot of sense to keep 20 500 modules powered up all day just to use one in rack A and one in rack B. Instead you could keep a lunch box around and quickly slap whatever you want into it at any time. The screws aren't that onerous but not something you'd want to do a number of times a day. And the rack would need to be well designed to glide the modules accurately into the connector so you wouldn't be constantly scrapping around back there trying to find the hole.

It could make patch bay labelling a little less useful I guess.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I recommend either a Ninja Turtles lunch box or Ghostbusters... It's a tough choice... If you want to go REALLY vintage though... Check out this beauty! Star Wars Lunchbox (1977) - Lunchboxes.com

Honestly if I were to chose ANY lunchbox in the world it would be the old school RCA mic pres... Let me try and remember the model number. Shoot I can't find the model number online, only the GIANT mic pre's by RCA.

However I remember they had several at Blackbird and I first heard them during the making of "Because of The Times" by the Kings of Leon... Ethan Johns used them on a few things (don't feel right specifying and giving away tones)... But yeah... They were AMAZING. My favorite pre's I have ever heard, bar none.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search