The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
name great records made with only dynamic mics
Old 24th July 2005
  #1
Gear Nut
 

name great records made with only dynamic mics

from time to time i´ve stumbled across the information, that some records were only done with sm57s and 421s.

could some of you name such examples? it would be great to discover this specific sound. i would be mainly interested in studio and not live recordings.

thanks

bojan
Old 24th July 2005
  #2
Lives for gear
 

I always heard MJ's Thriller was done w/a SM7.
Old 25th July 2005
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Telecastr's Avatar
 

It was an SM58, not an SM7.
Old 25th July 2005
  #4
Lives for gear
 
jpupo74's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamine
I always heard MJ's Thriller was done w/a SM7.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastr
It was an SM58, not an SM7.

Is this for real?

Do you mean on the MJ´s voice or in EVERYTHING?
Guit´s Drums?

PUPO
Old 25th July 2005
  #5
Gear Nut
 
Micgiver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastr
It was an SM58, not an SM7.
I disagree and so does Bruce Swedien. Read his book, it's a SM57 and a piece of plywood.
Old 25th July 2005
  #6
Gear Addict
 
EngineEars's Avatar
 

Rumor has it the entire drum kit on The Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" was miked with SM57's. (They do have a live board tape sound to them.) I also know the lead vocals were a SM7. Not sure about bass & guitars, but my guess would be DI's and dynamics there as well.
Old 25th July 2005
  #7
Gear Addict
 
adam_w's Avatar
didn't look like it from the funky monks video.

As far as all dynamics, didn't bob ohlsson say motown had nothing but 545's at one point ?


You gotta wonder WHY you'd want to use nothing but dynamics if there are other things available, though..
Old 25th July 2005
  #8
Nut
Gear Nut
 
Nut's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineEars
Rumor has it the entire drum kit on The Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Blood Sugar Sex Magik" was miked with SM57's. (They do have a live board tape sound to them.) I also know the lead vocals were a SM7. Not sure about bass & guitars, but my guess would be DI's and dynamics there as well.
The snare was miked with a small diaphragm condensor microphone, i am pretty sure. The transient is all there, and it is definatly one of my favortie snare sounds.. Especially on the opening track ! That stereo reverb/echo of the snare hit and the reverb is fantastic !
Old 25th July 2005
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Telecastr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpupo74
Is this for real?

Do you mean on the MJ´s voice or in EVERYTHING?
Guit´s Drums?

PUPO
No just his vocals. I'd been told it was an SM57 first, then I was told it was a 58. Either way, the point is that it's a cheap dynamic mic. BTW...What is the name of Bruce's book?

Bono definately uses a 58 on his vocals though.
Old 25th July 2005
  #10
Lives for gear
 

If I recall correctly, the Killers record was mostly Sm57's through a 1969 for vocals. Royer plus Sm57 on guitar cabs, sorry don't know what was used for drums.

Brad
Old 25th July 2005
  #11
Lives for gear
 
blackcatdigi's Avatar
The first Boston record was recorded almost exclusively with 57/58s... Including vox and OHs.

Sounds pretty good, for a garage demo.

Old 25th July 2005
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
Atari's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_w
You gotta wonder WHY you'd want to use nothing but dynamics if there are other things available, though..
Maybe to limit yourself and make your creativity work harder?
Old 25th July 2005
  #13
Quote:
You gotta wonder WHY you'd want to use nothing but dynamics if there are other things available, though..
Hummm maybe because dynamics have gotten a bad wrap from the gear pimps because they are not as expensive as a condenser or ribbon mic?

As always don't let price fool you, a quality dynamic will kick the snot out of a mid level condenser more times than you have been lead to believe. Even up against a high end condenser there are sources that just work better with a 421 or an SM7.
Old 25th July 2005
  #14
Gear Maniac
 
Atari's Avatar
 

That's a good point too.
Old 25th July 2005
  #15
Gear Addict
 
adam_w's Avatar
Yeah, totally - especially with a good, or the right pre it's crazy how good some dynamics sound. Kinda like lead vocal with a 57 ? Oh yeah - with a great pre and the right voice you bet your ass !

I'm just sayin' I reach for a different mic rather than an EQ and couldn't see why I'd deliberately want to not use ribbons and condensers if I had 'em. My main problem is not having enough mics, and I've got 30 of my own that get carted about !
Old 25th July 2005
  #16
Gear Maniac
 
Atari's Avatar
 

That's what I meant with limiting yourself. I heard the white stripes album is recorded on 16 tracks, that's all.I don't think they didn't have the budget just like MJ. It mean, by making the choice nót to use expensive mics ór only use 16 tracks or things like that you force yourself to be as creative as possible.
Old 25th July 2005
  #17
I read somewhere (I think Larry Levine in a trade mag) that mostly dynamics were used on the early Phil Spector "Wall of Sound" recordings (Ronettes, et al). I think they used some condensers too, though, maybe for the vocal.
Old 25th July 2005
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Telecastr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari
That's what I meant with limiting yourself. I heard the white stripes album is recorded on 16 tracks, that's all.I don't think they didn't have the budget just like MJ. It mean, by making the choice nót to use expensive mics ór only use 16 tracks or things like that you force yourself to be as creative as possible.
I really don't believe that the mic selection for Thriller had anything to do with forcing Micheal or anyone to be more creative. It had/has everything to do with using the right mic for that particular source.

IMO if you've got the time to think about ways to limit yourself when it comes to the recording equipment for "creativity's sake", and you've got everything you want at your disposal, you need to write a better song. The songwriting will make the song better. Using cheap mics so you can say, "hey, I used cheap mics on this song, and it made me really creative doing so" is really dumb.

Use a cheap mic because it's the best mic for the source, not because it's cheap.
Use a expsensive mic because it's the best mic for the source, not because it's expsensive.

As far as only using 16 tracks...I've not heard a ton of the White Stripes, but what I have heard, I can't imagine them needing more than 16 tracks to do it. A lot of the mixes I mix have between 18-24 tracks. Sometimes they hit up towards 30 if there are lots of vocal harmonies. This is for indie rock stuff. If a band wants to, especially when it's a 2 person band, it should be very easy to stay within 16 tracks without really trying.

End rant.
Old 25th July 2005
  #19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telecastr
IMO if you've got the time to think about ways to limit yourself when it comes to the recording equipment for "creativity's sake", and you've got everything you want at your disposal, you need to write a better song. The songwriting will make the song better. Using cheap mics so you can say, "hey, I used cheap mics on this song, and it made me really creative doing so" is really dumb.
Hummm.. for some reason the new Metallica CD comes to mind.... now why is that... hummm let me think.... Nope not gett'n it.... oh well I think there was a reason St. Spanger popped into my head but I must be crazy..... carry on....



Good points Tele... I am with ya!!!
Old 26th July 2005
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micgiver
I disagree and so does Bruce Swedien. Read his book, it's a SM57 and a piece of plywood.
He does however go on to say (either in his book or in one of the gazillion interviews he's done for magazines in the past 2 decades) that he's used an SM7 extensively for certain Michael Jackson tracks. The one that comes immediately to mind is the glass bottle percussion on "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough"

I'm pretty confident Bruce didn't *exclusively* use dynamic mics on any of the MJ albums.
Old 26th July 2005
  #21
Gear Nut
 
Micgiver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
He does however go on to say (either in his book or in one of the gazillion interviews he's done for magazines in the past 2 decades) that he's used an SM7 extensively for certain Michael Jackson tracks. The one that comes immediately to mind is the glass bottle percussion on "Don't Stop Til You Get Enough"

I'm pretty confident Bruce didn't *exclusively* use dynamic mics on any of the MJ albums.
I READ THAT INTREVIEW TOO, ITS FANTASTIC
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump