The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Helios 69 as summing output? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 8th April 2009
Helios 69 as summing output?

Hello,

I'm the current owner of an 8 channel passive summing box and have been considering several different choices as to what would do a good job as a stereo output summing amp.

I've been thinking that maybe a couple of Helios 69 modules could do a nice end to the summing box, especially with their great eqs, but couldn't find any specs on impedance, SNR, dynamic range, etc...

Since trying the equipment is out of the question (I live in a far,far away land)

I'd appreciate any suggestions from Helios users...stike

I mostly produce/record indie rock, elctronic stuff , so I'm not only looking for quality but also for character.

Any other alternatives? I'm looking to spend around 3K.

Thank you!
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Nut

I own a vintage Helios console, I never compared it to the reissue modules though...
API has a pretty hard low mid punch which is great for drums, Neve has this mid crunch and "compression" which is great for guitars and Helios has a amazing 3D sound and overall width and biggness, even Mono signals sound more "stereo" than on any other console! So if you are after some colour and spices for your summing why not have all three flavours?
Old 9th April 2009
Thanks for the reply, that's exactly what I've heard about Helios. Sometimes I work with an API desk from 1974 and it sounds sweet! but I'm not so hot about the new API stuff.

My summing box is actually from a guy who's spent years servicing and studying early Neve desks and a couple years ago released his pure class A stereo preamp - - - Petrungaro - Audio Profesional - - -.

The summing box has exactly the same transformers as his (superb) preamps.
But for the output I was looking for something with a different flavor.

What I'm concerned about is if the Helios 69 preamps would work well with full mixes sent through them, I mean, they are channel modules, not console 2buss amps. What are the differences between the Helios module transformers and the summing amp transformers?
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
What I'm concerned about is if the Helios 69 preamps would work well with full mixes sent through them, I mean, they are channel modules, not console 2buss amps. What are the differences between the Helios module transformers and the summing amp transformers?
Make sure those reissues have a line amp stage after.the raw modules won't give you enough gain for a full mix printback chain
I always had to use a stereo comp after to get the level up
The 69's can be a cool stereo bus tool.plenty of color.not for everything though.used on a few 70's old school mixes to good effect
Old 10th April 2009
thanks a lot for the advice guys. I spoke today with Peter from Vintage king and I think I'm going the Helios direction.

I have some devices that could do the gain compensation, I'll check the possibilities.

Anyways my next step would be to get an API 2500 or a Retro 176 if I can afford it.

But going back to the gain thing, I thought I read somewhere in this forum that the 69 reissues had some extra gain given to match current trends. Is that so?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search