The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best way to achieve stereo with 1 guitar/ 2 amps and effects device... Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Maniac
Best way to achieve stereo with 1 guitar/ 2 amps and effects device...

I have 2 old Mesa Boogie amps (Mark IIC's), each with their own effects send and return. I'd like to split the guitar (Creation audio MW1 vs Lucas Deceiver vs Little Labs vs Radial JD7 or ? - don't know yet) and go into each amp direct. Then I'd like to find a way to send the guitar signal, either from the effects send of one or both of the amps OR another signal from the splitter, to a stereo effects device (TC Electronics ?) that can return in stereo to each effect return of the amp. It would be perfect if I could access 2 effects like a stereo reverb and a stereo delay.

I have an old Yamaha SPX 90 that I have experimented with. Keep in mind I have no splitter yet. I have simply plugged the guitar into one amp. I have taken the effect send of that same amp into the yamaha and returned it's left out into the effects return of that amp. Then I have tried taking the right out of the Yamaha into the guitar input of the 2nd amp. I do get the stereo effect but the problem is you get whatever preamped tone you chose on the 1st amp going to the 2nd amp. So the effect seems "false" sounding or over preamped. Is there away to do this so achieve true stereo and what would I need to purchase? Thanks...
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

A boss TU2 or a little labs STD are both the splitters that I use. I like the STD because of its other cool features, but the Boss gets the job done just fine.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Why print the effects when you track/overdub? If it were me I'd probably have more than one mic per cab and depending on the number of tracks I felt like dealing with later, I would either record each mic to a separate track or use one or two pair of busses for the mics on each cab (call one cab left and the other right, or whatever). I would save the effects for mix and then send to the effects devices via aux sends. If I'm going to run short on aux sends, at that point I would probably print the effects returns with panning, et al. I find that I need to be able to make minute tweaks with effects to compensate for what's happenning in the mix (maybe more, maybe less, maybe a change of panning, type, etc.). By printing effects from the get-go, I would maybe feel I was painting myself into a corner too early on. That said, there are other times where something is just happening and trying to re-create it later is an act in futility so it's better to just print it. I've been no help whatsoever. Do what you do and if it's right, then it's right.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

radial jdv is a little pricey but does the job very well. It has an impedance switch. You can split your signal to four amps without any difference in tone.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac
Comp EQ - This isn't for recording - this is for playing live in the studio and rehearsing and yes sometimes for recording. When I do record yes I usually don't have effects. Somehow I think a small line mixer might be the answer, maybe two effects devices...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search