The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Who uses a Apogee mobile system with new MacBook Pro and it's working? Digital Converters
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Nut

Who uses a Apogee mobile system with new MacBook Pro and it's working?

Who is using a new 2009 Apple MacBook pro with an Apogee Symphony mobile card, X-card and Rosetta 800 without any problems (recording, no lock ups...)?

Who is having problem with this setup?

Please post.....
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Hi,

I have the setup you are asking about (MBP 2.8, symphony card and rosetta 800) and it works great.
It was "born" as a live rig, with Mainstage and it's now my recording/mixing setup at home, with Logic.
Never had a problem with it.

A.
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

???

Oh really......The working system that you talk about is a new MBP because I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple to find out that Apogee and Apple are working on a fix for this system?
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Yes,
A unibody mbp, 2.8 ghz.

No problems whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevault View Post
Oh really......The working system that you talk about is a new MBP because I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple to find out that Apogee and Apple are working on a fix for this system?
Old 10th April 2009
Gear Nut

Apple/Apogee

I have the 2.53Ghz which has major problems with the express port and Apple and Apogee say they are working on it. I just went to the Apple site and they don't even sell this version and not even the 2.8Ghz? Don't know if they just clocked them up or changed the design?
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have the 2.53Ghz which has major problems with the express port and Apple and Apogee say they are working on it. I just went to the Apple site and they don't even sell this version and not even the 2.8Ghz? Don't know if they just clocked them up or changed the design?
Clocked it up...

I'm all over the other thread about this debacle of techno-incompatibility, so I'll be brief here...

Poster above is only guy I've heard who has been able to make this rig work...

I'm amazed that folks are waiting for Apple/Apogee to figure their way out of this... Even a hobbyist like me has limits - my personal time is too valuable to mess around with this poorly conceived premise - as I'm sure all of yours is too!

I dumped it all lock/stock/barrell...

Best of Luck to All,

Mike
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Nut

corrupt Apogee

Yep, your right about selling but I need something for mobile recording and using Logic? About the only person to have this system running with no problems is maybe an Apogee employee or spreading propaganda? I've even sent my Apogee system into Apogee who said everything is working perfect until I get it back and still locks up my new MBP. As I said many times Apogee and Apple will never tell you what's going on and lie over and over again just to get your dollars! I would have never purchased any of this equipment if I would have know this major problem!

Again the thing that pisses me of is Apogee doesn't post a word on there site about this issue making this a corrupt company in my opinion and this would Apple.
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yep, your right about selling but I need something for mobile recording and using Logic? About the only person to have this system running with no problems is maybe an Apogee employee or spreading propaganda? I've even sent my Apogee system into Apogee who said everything is working perfect until I get it back and still locks up my new MBP. As I said many times Apogee and Apple will never tell you what's going on and lie over and over again just to get your dollars! I would have never purchased any of this equipment if I would have know this major problem!

Again the thing that pisses me of is Apogee doesn't post a word on there site about this issue making this a corrupt company in my opinion and this would Apple.
Vault,

Best bet is maybe get one generation back MBP, I think... I have heard it all works on the old one, but check into it before you commit there...

Portability is not a main issue for me, so I am building up a Mac Pro rig now...

Best,

Mike
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Clocked what up?

The 2.8 was built to order so nothing clocked up there.

I upgraded the card's firmware on an older mbp before using it on this one.

I don't know what kind of problems you have. I don't have any.
The only issue I have is that the card tends to come out of the slot really easily, which is a non issue since the laptop doesn't really move, in my studio.
I have no interest in searching for problems that others have, so if there is anything specific you want to know regarding my ssystem, just ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrier1 View Post
Clocked it up...

I'm all over the other thread about this debacle of techno-incompatibility, so I'll be brief here...

Poster above is only guy I've heard who has been able to make this rig work...

I'm amazed that folks are waiting for Apple/Apogee to figure their way out of this... Even a hobbyist like me has limits - my personal time is too valuable to mess around with this poorly conceived premise - as I'm sure all of yours is too!

I dumped it all lock/stock/barrell...

Best of Luck to All,

Mike
Old 11th April 2009
Gear Maniac
Clocking the units together dude, word clock... not the MPB chipset...

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchybastard View Post
Clocked what up?

Old 12th April 2009
Gear Nut

Apogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrier1 View Post
Vault,

Best bet is maybe get one generation back MBP, I think... I have heard it all works on the old one, but check into it before you commit there...

Portability is not a main issue for me, so I am building up a Mac Pro rig now...

Best,

Mike
Yep, it works on the old MBP but I was told that the new MBP has a redesigned express port which is causing the problem. When I took my MBP to the Apple store the express port was causing problems so it was replaced plus a ribbon cable which I was hoping would be the problem.........Nope.... As I said before every part of the Apple and Apogee product has been updated and the result is Apogee fixing the driver problem. I'm pissed because Apogee doesn't post anything on there site past or present for future or past users ...... That's just not right! This is not a cheap set-up as you know I paid dearly for it and I haven't even used it since I purchased in January.
Old 12th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Here's the thing...

Quote:
Clocked what up?.
The subsequent release of Unibody MBP's

Quote:
Understood, I had the same unit...

Quote:
I upgraded the card's firmware on an older mbp before using it on this one.
Did the same thing before it even saw my Unibody MBP...

Quote:
I don't know what kind of problems you have. I don't have any.

I have no interest in searching for problems that others have, so if there is anything specific you want to know regarding my ssystem, just ask.
I am truly glad this system works for you (I write this with all candor).

However, my experience and that of many others is quite the opposite. At this point, I have moved on and dumped the MBP, all Apogee equipment and have procured other gear that should work fine. I'm frankly over this whole episode and really could care less, but it bears mentioning to help others avoid the same fate, since it has been many months since either apple or apogee has done anything about this.

If interested, I'll detail the problem below by copying my quote from the other long GS thread about this issue:

I'm running a new MacBook Pro Aluminum with 4GB RAM and the new Symphony Express card into an Apogee Rosetta 200 via Logic Pro 8 (OSX and Logic Pro 8 are fully updated to latest spec, as is the Symphony Card)

Many, many issues including pops, clicks and screen freezes at any latency setting below 512... At 512 it will run for a bit but eventually finds its way to a screen freeze after 30 to 45 minutes.

I pinged the good folks at Apogee and the response was this:

"Hello,

If you have one of the brand new MacBook Pros, then what you are experiencing is a known issue. Some users of Symphony Mobile on the new MacBook Pro are experiencing these freezes. We are working closely with Apple to determine the source of the problem. There should be a fix for the issue in the near future. I apologize for any inconvenience. Please check the website for updates."

So, I do believe they are working on it, but when the fix is coming I'm not sure... It sure is killing my workflow, though...

This bums me out as I was about to go to an AD/DA-16x setup soon. Aaaargh!

I may now punt and go with a Magma ExpressBox and perhaps Lavry or UA converters...

Anyone else doing this successfully with the new MacBook Pro?

Best,

Mike

Last edited by mgrier1; 12th April 2009 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: sp
Old 13th April 2009
Gear Nut

Apogee

Mike,

Thanks for chiming in on this issue but it seems that this is the wrong place for help or trying to warn people about problems that cost money. thumbsup
Old 14th April 2009
Gear Nut

Apogee

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search