The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
JBL LSR6328 vs BM6A vs ASP8 or other on a 2k budget.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

JBL LSR6328 vs BM6A vs ASP8 or other on a 2k budget.

Budget $2k new or used.

I'm ready for a new set of monitors. Anyone using the JBL's that can comment on them? Would you choose them over the BM6A and why?

I do prefer 8" woofers and actually considered the new Event ASP-8 too but I like the built in analyzer feature on the JBL. I toyed with the BM6A and there were very nice but I felt they were lacing in the bass department, otherwise quite good.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Guru

the 28p's and, now, the 6328's are unbeatable 'vibe' boxes imo. they reveal not only the amount of a given freq but its character as well. you can effortlessly distinguish hard hi's from soft, peaky mids from present ones. and they go deep, reverb tails and delay repeats have a lot of detail.

if you have a very small room, or need to sit right on top of your monitors, they may not be the best choice. their low end can easily swamp a bedroom, and they like a few feet to breathe.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

I have a fairly large room, about 15x20 so maybe they will work for me. Anyone else have any opinion?
Old 24th July 2005
The JBL LSR 6328's are amazing. If I was going to get monitors right now, these are the ones I would get. Sound on Sound did a review on them in their May edition. You have to have a subscription (at least a web subscription to read it). Here is what was said at the end of the review.

"As straightforward monitors, with or without the dedicated subwoofer, this new LSR6300-series system performs impressively. When the music calls for it, these monitors will sound smooth, delicate, and very revealing. However, they can also deliver a really solid, weighty, and dynamic wall of sound when asked, with huge sound pressure levels that can be sustained all day if your ears can take it. Spoken voice and classical music are portrayed with neutrality and fidelity, and clearly this speaker is a good all-rounder, equally capable regardless of the source material's genre."
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Guru

rev,

have you had the pleasure of using the 63's yet? i have a friend who, much to my great satisfaction, ditched his adam 2.5's for the 6328's and he's the proverbial pig in s**t. he says he can hear deeper into reverb tails than ever; i said welcome to the pimpass vibe club

gregoire
del ubik
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Head

That's good news! I'm pushing for the 6328's. Is there anyone here who doesn't like them or prefers the ASP8 or BM6A over them?
Old 24th July 2005

I use the older LSR's and really like them, the only problem is that the bass is so nice on them that I mixed everything a bit bass heavy at first. Really easy to listen too, non fatiguing. I'm a bit skeptical about the room tuning stuff on the newer models, but then again I've neer used them.

Sorry I haven't compared them directly to the others you mention, but I am very happy with them myself.
Old 24th July 2005
I'm the guy ubik mentioned that moved to the 6328s from the ADAMs - no regrets here!

They really are a pleasure to mix on for hours and translate every bit as well as the ADAM mixes did.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Head

WOW, that's a serious statement! You swear you don't work for JBL? Scouts honor?
Old 25th July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1999
WOW, that's a serious statement! You swear you don't work for JBL? Scouts honor?
Nothing other than the truth in my statement (and no, I don't work for JBL...); the ADAMs are killer and I would recommend them in a heartbeat - to be honest, I sold them to help bankroll a G5 purchase and having heard ubik's 28s as well as another friend's, I knew I wouldn't be disappointed "moving down" on the $$ scale.

After having mixed for a couple of months on the JBLs, I think they are a better match for me and the kind of music I tend to mix, as well as the sound I go for. If all I did was jazz or classical, the ADAMs would be my goto monitor, but I like some attitude from everything in my signal chain and the JBLs deliver that in spades. YMMV
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
Sound on Sound did a review on them in their May edition.
Yeah but the guy who did that review uses PMC in his own systems

I'm sure the JBLs are excellent. We're pretty spoiled to have so many great choices now.

I listened to the PMC TB2, and Richard Thompson walked out of the speakers into my room. I bought five of them, sold all my others. These are all I could ever imagine a speaker to be, I'm happy.

Steve
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I went with the Event ASP 8s and have not regretted the decision. If I had the money, I would have gotten the JBLs. They had a more full range and detailed sound which was attractive. The ASP8s have a deeper image which comes in handy at times. There was more upper range detail on the JBLs however.
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Guru

bleen is the man. if anyone in or around seattle needs anything tracked or mixed, do yourself and your music a favor and go to this guy.

seattle has some decently equipped commercial facilities but there is no one in them turning knobs in a way that impresses me. bleen is the exception.

and he's damn good people to boot.

gregoire
del ubik
Old 25th July 2005
Here for the gear

Hi,

I´m using the dynaudio BM6 A as well as ADAM p11 with Subwoofer P10 , ADAM S2.5 and KRK RockIt 8.

The BM6A are still the best nearfield (!) speakers to my ears. "Nearfield" is here the main word. For bigger soutions I use ADAM 2.5 .

Go ahead with the BM6A , they sound amazing and they are pristine. If you do a blind test you´ll find out what fits best to your ears. You can use the BM6A for all kind of music , but Techno or Trance I would recommend Genelec.

Cheeers
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Nut

Hi there.

You should take a look at the new M20 from NHTPro that is coming out in a few weeks. It's a new and improved version of A20.

I've had a prototype here it our office in early summer and I have to say that they have once again done a really great job! A really powerful monitor that is great to mix in.

The US MSRP should around $1000 per channel.
You can find more info here: http://nhtpro.com/mixing.html
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeegybug
Yeah but the guy who did that review uses PMC in his own systems

I'm sure the JBLs are excellent. We're pretty spoiled to have so many great choices now.

I listened to the PMC TB2, and Richard Thompson walked out of the speakers into my room. I bought five of them, sold all my others. These are all I could ever imagine a speaker to be, I'm happy.

Steve
I 2nd the PMC, using the TB2S-A (activated '+' version). Only have 2 atm, but can't wait the day i'm going surround heh
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

PMC is another league and overall way better than other you listed.
But tastes are different, for me Event is slightly truer than JBL, but it is hard to say that any of them is better.

GYang
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
PMC is another league and overall way better than other you listed.
Since his budget is 2k, he sure can afford DB1S-A's, and maybe can stretch it to TB2S-A's (or score the older version, which still is excellent, 2nd hand).
Old 25th July 2005
Back in the 80's I was never crazy about JBL speakers. They just sounded to rock n roll for me. However the LSR6328's in my friends studio just blew me away. They have come a long way. I also love their monitors for live application. I saw 4 Play and they had JBL's all around, and they sounded great. Very clear, not hard on your ears after a couple of hours and nice and even sounding. They will be the next monitors I get in my studio when I have to replace my Tannoy System 8's which I also like a lot.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeltaM
Since his budget is 2k, he sure can afford DB1S-A's, and maybe can stretch it to TB2S-A's (or score the older version, which still is excellent, 2nd hand).
From my own practice, if nearfileds are only or main monitors in smaller studios, it's recommendable to spend more on them, as very soon they become apparent weak link.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYang
From my own practice, if nearfileds are only or main monitors in smaller studios, it's recommendable to spend more on them, as very soon they become apparent weak link.
TB2S-A's would be best choice then imo, DB1S-A's are maybe a bit small. Anyway, you're gonna have a hard time to call those PMC's the weak link
Old 25th July 2005
Gear Head

How come I can't find the TB2S-A's anywhere USA for sale? I see MacMIDIMusic carries the Passives but not the actives.
Old 25th July 2005
Lives for gear

I compared the LSR32 powered by Hafler 9505 with ADM2 from KS digital, ADAM S3A, Dynaudio BM6, PCM TB2 and TB2 activated, ...

The LSR32 overall quality was better than all the others. Important on LSR32, bi-wiring is a hearable improvement over single wiring - would like to know what happened with bi-amping.

The S3A seemed a little more neutral with the highs set to -1 dB. But sounded not as good in the bass region (less dynamic).

The ADM2 was very close and hat a slightly better image (like a lot of 2-way systems have compared to 3-way systems). But the ADM2 is very expensive and the digital processing is something i want to avoid in monitors.

The TB2 also hat a little better sound stage (again, 2 way system) but shows a little problem with resonances at about 250 Hz. The bigger LB1 Signature from PMC is again very close to the LSR32, but the TB2S is really smaller and you can hear it.

The Dynaudio wasn´t bad too, but also here it is very obvious that the speaker is smaller.

I also did a comparison between JBL LSR32 and LSR28P. The LSR32 is just one league above. Less spectacular but more true an neutral. The LSR28 sounds a little boomy compared to the LSR32, which is together with a good power amp double the price.

I purchased the LSR32 with Hafler 9505 and do a comparison from time to time in my studio. But everytime my decision is confirmed to have been a good one.

I would like to try the Lipinski or the Harbeth Monitor40 later somewhen, but could imagine to be happy with the LSR32 another few years.
Old 26th July 2005
Lives for gear

well... apples to apples here and all -- the LSR32 is a passive 3-way with 12" woofer. Costs $1800 or so? And as you mentioned, with a good amp double the price of some of those others. No doubt an excellent speaker, I have not heard them though.

jm1999 - I think PMC dealers aren't too common yet in the US. I know Audio Classics will quote them, also maybe Tidepool Audio and Calistro. And Atlas did have some. Macmidi (Pro Audio Solutions) could surely get the active, if they have passive. They're distributed by Bryston, so I would think any dealer that has Bryston could get PMC.

I have no involvement with the company, they just struck me the exact right way, the most articulate, listenable sound I've heard from any speakers. I got rid of Dyn BM15, SLS, and Paradigm reference in favor of these. Worth a listen to see if you can mix with them.

Steve
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Thanks Steve! I'll check around.

I haven't made a definite decision yet and have not closed the doors on any monitor. All of the above are still being considered with an apparent preference so far for the PMC and JBL.h I have thought about the RSP8, which I would only do so I can use the money saved for other gear but I don't want to cut corners on my monitors.
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1999
... I don't want to cut corners on my monitors.

just a friendly reminder that --- forgive me if you've already got this covered --- monitors are only 50% of your monitoring environment, the other half is your room, and if either one is weak the whole picture is compromised. is your room up to snuff? bass modes under control, hi's diffused rather than absorbed, monitors perfectly positioned etc...?

i think from now on when people ask about what monitors to choose i'm gonna make my vote 'realtraps'

gregoire
del ubik
Old 26th July 2005
Gear Head

Well treated with real traps. Thanks for asking. thumbsup
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

The Room, yes. Well I think the RMC Kit is just the answer to this issue.

That's why, after having read many articles and discussions, including this great thread, I'm going to check these LSR6328P that might have been what I'm looking for.

I was about to go for the ADAM P-11a (cheaper, but well balanced).

What do you guys think ? Will I see a drastic change between these and the LSR ?
Old 9th August 2005
Lives for gear

I've not heard anything that can live with the PMC TB2's in the sub $2000 category, and I've not even auditioned the "+" version with the improved tweeter which would make them even better! BM6A's are nice compact package and sound good but not in same league as PMC sonically; I've yet to audition the ATC's but these are more expensive I believe.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search