The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your favorite stereo bus comp for rock music and why Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Your favorite stereo bus comp for rock music and why

Ive only had the pleasure of using an SSL G series comp both the X-logic and on G 4000 console. While I loved it im looking to buy something for home. I know there are some threads about this but I couldn't find anything specific for rock music which is primarily what I do. The BC1 sounds cool from reviews and is pretty cheap but will this be right for the rock application? What about other more expensive comp/limiters such as a TG1 or STC 8? Then there is obviously the api-2500. I will def try a few that I can before i buy but i'd like to narrow it down some.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

I favor the Dramastic Audio "Obsidian" because it sits right next to my left ankle at the console and does exactly what I want it to do..."glue", "snap"...a million other buzzwords that mean absolutely ****. It gels music the way I want it to be gel'd.

The TG-1, while one of my favorite "individual element" or "subgroup" compressors, is not versatile/tweezable enough for 2buss and leaves its enormous footprint behind as soon as the gain reduction meter starts moving. Guitars and drums (Comp mode, recovery at 2), bass and vocals (Limit mode, recovery at 1)...yes. 2buss...no.

STC-8 is a killer tool. It is very intensive/deep and takes a little while for most to understand fully. I'm convinced that the people who say they hate it didn't know how to use it if/when they had it. For something that is extremely tweezable and can do a lot of things if you whisper in its ear the right way...sure...

API 2500 will never suck. There's a million ways to set it and it adds pleasing qualities to audio that is otherwise on the sterile side.

I'd say you're on the right path with trying a bunch of them and sending back the losers...
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

cool thx man
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Addict

the al.so dynax 2 can be really great for rock
so aggressive and snappy a bit tricky to get set so its aggressive but not to pumpy
but when you find the sweet spot its really fantastic
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Guru

I'm liking the 2500 really well, only had it a couple months but it has taken my mixes to a different level.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

API 2500 for me! I also love the Chameleon Labs 7720 for the money it rocks! Adds no color but does a great job at tightening up a guitar heavy mix
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Maniac

API 2500 too ! I also have the Roll Super Stereo compressor which is more of the SSL buss comp league, but I find it a bit too smooth for rock (but great for soft pop / jazz) IMHO
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Nut

yeah I have to say too, the API 2500 does something very special to the 2buss! a bit like widening the image...
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Im curious how the GTC2 stacks up with the api sound and in what ways they are different.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

After over 18 months now I'm still really liking my Smart C2 especially with the HPF cables fitted.
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Addict

I have a Focusrite Red3 on my stereo bus and it really adds something very nice to the mix. I use it with all types of music and it always sounds fab!
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Nut

of course API 2500
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixary View Post
of course API 2500
This is now officially a "complete-love-fest"
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

for all you api 2500 lovers check out the api 2500 vs bc1 shootout its not rock music which makes a difference but the bc1 sounds real good.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Maniac

Zener Limiter is pretty cool too As it's put in pro reviews, it can do more than TG1 by doing 'less', with a sight twist of flavor. The side-chain function also makes it more suitable for 2-bus work.

Yes I think it glues well and adds 'THE SOUND"to a mix. But if you really want to hit it hard I suppose parallel compression is the better way to go coz it can certainly pump when squeezed.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

The usual suspects, api 2500 and the SSL comp work well but I'd also use the STC8 if it were available in the studio I'm mixing at.

Come to think of it, strike the above and put the SSL comp (alan smart) on the drum submix and the STC8 or 2500 on the master. heh
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Manley Vari-Mu - Because it sounds sooooo goooood.
Old 8th April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedresser83 View Post
Im curious how the GTC2 stacks up with the api sound and in what ways they are different.
They aren't very similar... The GTC2 is more versatile and bigger sounding. The API 2500 on the drum buss is excellent.. On the mix buss? Not so much.

I prefer the GTC2 for the mix buss.
Old 8th April 2009
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
They aren't very similar... The GTC2 is more versatile and bigger sounding. The API 2500 on the drum buss is excellent.. On the mix buss? Not so much.

I prefer the GTC2 for the mix buss.
i agree. the api is a damn fine compressor and i love it. nothing but good things to say about it. but after getting the gtc2 it now stays on the mix buss. for rock i'd look into the usual suspects which for me would be some type of ssl (ish) compressor. ssl, smart, or the dramistic audio comp that sean mentioned is a top choice. the api rules. shadow hills mastering comp rules but is pricey. the gtc2 is not a usual suspect because i don't think as many people are aware of it but it's one of the most versatile compressors i own and a new favorite on the mix. on any style.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Api 2500.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Addict

safe sound audio toolbox,
realy great bus comp !
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

Tossin' in my vote for a 1968ME...
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Nut

API 2500. I absolutely love my API 2500. Highly flexible and very musical. When the time comes I will be buried with that work of art right next to me. Pure love.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Guru

I do want a C2 to add to my drum buss some day.
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Head

anyone have experience using a neve 2254?
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Maniac

The gml 8900 is one of the most transparent ever used.

The colouring boxes I love are:
Qes Labs Variable-Gm for its unique character,
and a pair of Sta-Level's, very similar.
Warming machines still retaining focus.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

The Api 2500 is the new SSL it seems.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
I'm liking the 2500 really well, only had it a couple months but it has taken my mixes to a different level.
i like the 2500 too [software ver in PT] 1-3 db of compression can put a nice little pump on things

for "glue" type effect i still will pop in a waves rcompressor in opto mastering mode on occassion
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I wouldn't use the 2500 on the mix buss. Too much... of something I can't describe. I do use it to slam drums and mix that channel with an 'uncompressed' drum channel. It's absolutely beautiful for that.

I also really like M/S compression on the two buss. Still looking for a good hardware unit to do that. Been messing around with the opto compressor in T-Racks 3, and it sounds very nice!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search