The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Retro 176 problem Condenser Microphones
Old 6th April 2009
Gear Head

Retro 176 problem

Just got my retro 176 today (along with 2 prism orpheus, new mac pro, and other stuff) hooked it up used it for about an hour and a half and then heard a click noise and the unit shut down and cannot be turned on now! ah!!!
The voltage in my country israel is 230v and the voltage on the unit was set properly to 220v-240v . i hope i will only need to change the fuse and not send it back- i just got today after a long wait!

Help! any ideas?

BTW it sounded amazing with the prism orpheus and my Flea 47 for the short time i've used it.
Old 6th April 2009
Gear Addict

I'd call Phil at Retro ASAP. He's super helpful and will get you sorted out quickly I'm sure. Sorry about your situation - so frustrating!!!
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

When I got mine 1 tube wasn't seated properly i dont know much about electronics but I would just double check to see if the tubes are in place. And then call retro up. Best of luck its a great unit.
Old 7th April 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Have you checked the fuse?
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Addict
sta level

pluse one call phill some of the best service ive had on gear
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Addict

My Sta-Level was mangled during shipping. Shane at Alto and Phil took great care of me and I had a new one the next day.
Old 7th April 2009
Gear Head

Thanks guys.

i don't know how to check the fuse- since i cannot easily remove it to check
and i am no tech guy i'll leave that to my tech guy.
Phil got back to me telling me they have upgraded the fuse for 230v to 1A and on my unit it is written to use 0.5V for 230v - i cannot see on the fuse what is written since i can't turn it to remove it easily and a bit afraid to force it.

hopefully it is just replacing the fuse.

still weird to me if they upgraded the fuse to 1A for 230v but didn't send it with the right one to europe...

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Maniac

We had to change two fuses to 1A to stop them blowing.
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

a bit off topic but for those who went with the sta did u prefer it over the 176 i demo'd both and ended up getting the 176 but now find myself missing the sta
Old 8th April 2009
Lives for gear

I also had that problem with mine (Sweden - 220v). I waisted 3-4 fuses before asking. Got the same answer from Phil. Changed the fuse to 1A. No problem since.

On the back of the unit just push the fuse in (pretty firmly) and turn counter clockwise, and the thing will pop out, with the little glass fuse. Bring it to your local electronics shop and get a same sized fuse, but 1A, and you should be in business.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Head

Well it was indeed the fuse- replacing it to 1A solves it, just wish they'd write it on the unit itself.
That unit sounds fabolous and is versatile too BIG thumbs up to Phil thumbsup

Thanks guys.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search