The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nearfield/Midfield Monitors
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Nearfield/Midfield Monitors

I'm looking to purchase a pair of nearfield/midfield monitors. I just received a demo pair of the ADAM S3As and have been very impressed so far.

Any other monitors out there that I should take a look at? Anyone have any experience with Meyer HD-1's? My budget is up to about $6k.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx83
Any other monitors out there that I should take a look at? Anyone have any experience with Meyer HD-1's? My budget is up to about $6k.
Do they have to be powered?
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrakian
Do they have to be powered?
Nope. Passive monitors w/an amp for under $6k would fit the bill too.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Klein + Hummel O300D
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

i'm really digging the blue sky mediadesk. best i've tried in that price range, imho...

EDIT: oops, i think i need a new prescription from the eye doctor - i thought the price range was under $600, not $6000. sorry, my bad
Old 23rd July 2005
mid field monitor recommendation

I'm about to spring for a pair of SP Technologies Timepiece 2.1s and bi amp them with 4 Nuforce ref 8.1 monoblocks. Even at full retail these would just come under your budget. A little judicious enquiry to both manufacturers would bring it very much under your budget. Reviews on all the above have been almost ecstatic. The speakers come with a 30 day trial that includes free shipping to you and back to the factory, including insurance, should you be less than enthralled.
In the case of the Timepieces, especially, you pretty much have to lean on the reviews as there aren't many around yet for you to audition. I found Bill Robert's review and comments intalking to him over the phone to be most convincing.
Here's his review, and this is for the old model, the new one has an upgraded tweeter and a crossover at 690Hz: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...technology.htm
Bill is a very experienced and repected mastering engineer as well as a serious speaker designer in his own right.
Russell
Old 23rd July 2005
mid field monitor recommendation (P.S.)

I forgot to mention that the prices quoted on the SP Tech website are misleading. the $5495 quoted for the Timepieces is for the highly finished model. They sell the same thing in a "studio" (black) finish for $2,895 list. They are too busy tooling for larger scale production to keep their site properly maintained at the moment.
R.
Old 23rd July 2005
MGA
Gear Addict

Meyer HD-1s

Hello pxpx83,

The Meyer HD-1s are one of the more exceptional nearfiled monitors I have ever used. They have this incredible depth in the stereo image that I just have not heard in any other nearfield monitor. Smooth highs, tight lows and very flat in their frequency response (32Hz - 22kHz) so they're not exaggerated in any way. They also translate consistently well across differrent styles of music or sound sources which is great if you are doing a rock band one day, an orchestra the next or working with sound FX in post or sound design the following day. They can pump out some serious SPL as well for those that want them loud.

I'd highly recommend HD-1s and I'm spoiled for choice when comes to nearfields, ATC SCM20A, Dynaudio M1s, BM6As and BM5s, Tannoy DTM8s, good old trusty Yamaha NS10s and the Meyer HD-1s. The Dynaudio BM6As would be my next choice. That said I have never heard the ADAM S3As would be very interested in what others that use these have to say about them. I know that Michael Wagener has a pair of S3As (see https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/36821-adam-s3a-metal.html.

Speakers are like pre amps in that everyone has a preferance for using one type or another for different applications. Try and get a hold of both HD-1s and S3As (and any others that tickle your fancy) and spend some time shooting them out with some very familiar material you have and do some mixes. You might be suprised by what you like.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
MG
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx83
Nope. Passive monitors w/an amp for under $6k would fit the bill too.
Then I would recommend the Green Mountain Audio Callisto, with the amp of your choice -preferably a high-resolution model.

GMA designs from a time/phase-coherent perspective, and succeed marvelously! This is a two-way, with a cabinet made of cast marble. The x-over is a minimalist, first-order design made of only six (6) pieces. If you have any further questions not answered on the site, Roy Johnson (the designer) will be happy to answer them: (719) 636-2499.

Here is a review of them.

BTW, I'm not a rep/dealer, just a happy owner.
Old 23rd July 2005
another for K&H monitors

deft:::
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

dynaudio m2 with a nice amp. i am blown away righgt now by the pair i bought a month ago.
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

re BM6'a

I'm also a fan of the Dynaudio bm6a's but I have found since having a loan pair of them recently the Air 6's to be a hell of a lot more accurate (esp on the bottom end)
I have had a loan set of the air6's,15's and 20's and found the 15's have probably become my favorite pair on monitors of the last few years(i also really dig the reference level switch on the remote for consistency)
Old 2nd August 2005
Here for the gear

So I have demos of both the ADAM S3A and the Meyer HD-1 in the studio right now, and I have found some interesting results. I was expecting an A/B comparison to reveal slight differences betweeen these two monitors, but in the end they are extremely different sounding.

I started by doing a SIM frequency analysis of each monitor (only one speaker). The Meyer HD-1 had an extremely flat response even down to 50 hz. The ADAM has much more variance throughout the spectrum with a dropoff in the low end and a boost around 18k. The phase response of the Meyers was also much better than the ADAMs. Now for the listening tests...

So I put it the latest Shania Twain record to start testing the speakers. I have had the ADAMs for the past week and listened to this disc several times. Sounds great on the ADAMs; very musical and the top end detail is nice and crisp. I switch over to the Meyers and notice a big difference. Low end is much fuller and detailed, but there is a harshness that was not there in the ADAMs. The Meyers also have a much more upfront and in-your-face sound, while the ADAMs sound a little more distant. I listened to some Norah Jones and classical recordings and had the same results. ADAMs were very pleasant to listen to, while the Meyers sounded harsh, but fuller in the low end.

I have really struggled to find something that sounds good on the Meyers, while the ADAMs have revealed both good and poor sounding records. So what do I go with? The Meyers, which are more accurate but fatiguing to listen to or the ADAMs which sounded more musical but are less frequency accurate.

Any thoughts?
Old 2nd August 2005
Gear Nut

The sound of those speakers could change significantly with room treatment (if you haven't done that yet). I have the S3A's and like them very much. I purchased them a month before I treated my studio with a dozen or so realtraps. The main point of the realtraps for me was to tame the low end fluctuations in my room- which they did (they are amazing). However, the speakers ended up sounding a lot different. There was far more midrange and than prior to the treatment.

One other thing. I've experienced a very big difference in the low end of several speakers when switching their resting spot from the meter bridge to sound anchor stands placed behind my console. I've tried this with S3A's Dynaudio BM15A's and Earthworks Sigma 6.2's. In all 3 cases I could hear around an octave lower when they were placed on the Sound Anchors. In fact, with one CD, I literally could not hear the first low percussive note of a song when one or two of the speakers were on the meter bridge.

My point is that your impression of these speakers may change when you adjust some of these parameters.

Also, the purchasing of the S3A's, RealTraps, Sound Anchor stands, and a Benchmark DAC-1 helped improve the quality of my mixes immensely.

Good luck too you,
J
Old 3rd August 2005
Here for the gear

I have several real traps to help control the low end response of the room and also a few HF real traps to control the first reflections. Both sets of speakers are on stands about 4-5 feet from the mix position. D/A converters for the monitors is in the Euphonix console.

Here are some photos of the frequency analysis of both the S3A and the HD-1:

First the S3A....

Frequency response is the top graph and phase is on the bottom. Signal to Noise ratio is on the top in red.

Now for the Meyers....

Much flatter frequency response and better phase (even though this pair was manufactured in 1990!)

Now both plots...

Based on this analysis shouldn't the Meyers translate better than the ADAMs? But why do they sound so harsh?
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

I've had a pair of ATC-20's for about a week now; not too shabby. Should be somewhere in your price range. I got these second-hand, but Brad Lunde is the guy to get 'em from. (Don't mind my dog back there; he won't bite.)

I was using various monitors before (Tannoy System 800's, Tannoy PBM 6.5's, NS-10's) and I used to go back and forth between them to get different opinions. I haven't used anything but the ATC's since I got them and I can get a mix happening in about half the time it used to take.

...and did I mention that they're built like a brick sh*thouse?
I'm sold!
Attached Thumbnails
Nearfield/Midfield Monitors-atc20.jpg  
Old 3rd August 2005
Lives for gear

Proacs studio 100's with a Bryston. Never heard anything better. They are very easy on the ears.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

pxpx83,

Well, it looks like you have room treatment, etc. already in place. I've read good things about both the ADAMs and the Meyers. That harshness thing sounds potentially fatiguing for long mixing days.

Lots of people have mixed well with both. Which do you enjoy listening to more?

Also, I added the sub 1 to the S3A setup last Fall and it has helped me a lot with the low end.
Old 3rd August 2005
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiff
KRK E8t

Wonderful speakers.
Sadly, these are being discontinued by KRK because the tweeters are no longer available from the manufacturer.

Anyone have any experience comparing the Focal and S3A?

Audy O
Old 3rd March 2009
Gear Nut

I second green mountain audio. Believe me, I've heard everything and nothing comes close You will not find a more knowlegeable and friendly person than Roy Johnson. I have pair of pico executive HD's on order.

kory
Old 3rd March 2009
I thought I had heard everything and included Green Mountain in my 4 year search for a monitor I could trust and contentedly live with - enjoy, even - then I heard and bought the K+H 0300s. They are something else completely - if only for the informative nature of the bass - and replaced the Timepieces I recommended (and bought) earlier in this old thread.

The massive midrange headroom and lack of distortion that can only a 3" midrange dome can deliver is an important bonus. All the competition at this price point are two way, and we have been conditioned to think that the sound of a 6-8" cone driver in breakup is the way mids are supposed to sound!
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Since you are liking the Adam S3A's, try out a pair of JBL LSR32 or the newer same speaker with shielding to place next to video moniters the LSR6332. I've seen posts that say that those JBL's are comparable to the S3A's soundwise. You will spend far less on the JBL's especially if picked up used. Those JBL's are more midfield than nearfield and need a minimum 6 feet from speaker face to your ear. Chances are that even in a decent sized control room and used as midfields, you won't need a sub.
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

+1 for the K&H O300!!!
Old 3rd March 2009
Lives for gear

Player1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx83 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a pair of nearfield/midfield monitors. I just received a demo pair of the ADAM S3As and have been very impressed so far.

Barefoot MM27 monitors. They are worth totally worth the hype and price! Spend the extra grand and call it a day.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search