The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
AMEK THE PURE PATH DMCL Channel Strip Single-Channel Preamps
Old 22nd July 2005
Lives for gear

AMEK THE PURE PATH DMCL Channel Strip

Has anyone used this piece and what are your conclusions?
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

I think it was discussed here already, but to summarize again:

It is very clean and versatile 2 channel mic (+line+DI) preamp in which mic inputs can serve as second pair of line inputs, based on transformer like amplifiers designed by R.Neve. It has very useful low and high pass filters, as well as, inserts for outer processors with in/out knob.
Although not widely accepted by some slutz on this forum as Rupert Neve's other designs, DMCL is really great pre for applications where clean and very low-noise signal is preferred. For some users DMCL sounds slightly sterile, but this is its strong point, too. Together with colored pres, studio needs neutral pres and this one fits in this role perfectly.
With bunch of other pres, we use it continiously during 3 years in our studio and nothing less than superlatives could be said.
Compressor and limiter will do the task properly when necessary and built-in ADC doesn't need to be replaced by better (with exception of the most discerning tasks when highest end converters as DCS or Lavry Gold might improve it).
Assuming that today's price is below 2000$ for remainder new units in stocks and much less for second hand units it is hard to suggest something better for this money, if you are in market for 2 ch pre.

GYang
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

GYang has given you everything you need to know about the pure path cib. i have one and concur completely with what he says. it is a useful tool, especially in a world where there are tons of colored pres. clean, clear, and accurate. i like the compressor quite a bit especially with the mm (much more) button (which is supposed to approximate neve's older compressor curves). i used it recently on a mono room drum mic and got a great smashed smushed sound. everybody in the room loved what it did. tasty. the eq i do not use so much, but it is very workmanlike and facile.

best luck,
rlnyc
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc
GYang has given you everything you need to know about the pure path cib. i have one and concur completely with what he says. it is a useful tool, especially in a world where there are tons of colored pres. clean, clear, and accurate. i like the compressor quite a bit especially with the mm (much more) button (which is supposed to approximate neve's older compressor curves). i used it recently on a mono room drum mic and got a great smashed smushed sound. everybody in the room loved what it did. tasty. the eq i do not use so much, but it is very workmanlike and facile.

best luck,
rlnyc
How is it on Acoustic Guitars?

Thanks,

Joel
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoe

Thanks,
Joel
i have found it to be terrific, but the mic matters alot too, as well as placement. but the cib is valuable for recording acoustic guitars for just that reason - clean and clear. big but not huge, very satisfying recordings can be gotten from it.

best,
rlnyc.
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks,

Joel
With ribbon and SD mics very accurate and pleasant sounding.
A touch of compression is OK, too.

GYang
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlnyc
GYang has given you everything you need to know about the pure path cib.
CIB and DMCL are essentialy same sounding pres, DMCL being two ch. without EQ section.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Does this unit have built in A/D converters?

I am looking for a pre to work with my DIGI 002 setup on acoustic guitars and male rock/ contemporary voice. It would be my very first pre (outside of the ones on the 002 itself).

Thanks!

Joel
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does this unit have built in A/D converters?

I am looking for a pre to work with my DIGI 002 setup on acoustic guitars and male rock/ contemporary voice. It would be my very first pre (outside of the ones on the 002 itself).

Thanks!

Joel
ADC in DMCL was optional, but almost all offered on the market had it built in.
CIB I think doesn't have it.
EQ section in CIB is worth Neve's reputation and very good sounding, but I could recommend to take DMCL with ADC and spare for external EQ later, so you'll have top quality 2 ch front end for your DAW.

GYang
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

about a year ago I was looking at the DMCL... I got one...$1700USD brand new.... I was very happy with it untill a month ago... One of the pot stems has broken loose...

other than that, what GYang said...
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Thanks for the responses. They were very helpful. $1700. Where can I get a decent price on this(DMCL) unit?
Old 25th March 2019
Here for the gear
got three of DMCL &...

... i never regret it!
my 1st was when AMEK left the stage. They blew it out for 666 German Marks.
it was a joke.. but then i start to love this kind of sound and every time i ve seen one dmcl, i bought it.
the 2nd was(used) 900 Euros(3 times more than the new one=1800 German Marks).
then i hit my 3rd(used) for 1200,- euros.

i am VERY happy with that units. They do what they should do. not mor not less.
they are very easy to use, and reliable. i have ADT stuff wich lags on pots... and API stuff wich lags on voltage... but this units come alive at 20dB input level....
try it!!

greets

David Buballa
About: MobuRec.de
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search