The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
voiceover mic to complement Gefell M930 Condenser Microphones
Old 12th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by elwood View Post
I picked up an RE-20 at Sam Ash this week for a really good price....

It may be "new toy" syndrome, but in some ways I seem to get a better sound out of the Re-20....maybe it's less revealing/more forgiving, or maybe it's just the way you can get right up on it without an overbearing proximity effect.

For a new voiceover person without a treated room on a budget this mic would my first choice.

Had an SM7B and liked it but like this even better.
Congratulations! I've owned and later sold several RE-20s, but the very first one I got from (showing my age here) Broadcast Supply West was tops, somehow a little more open than the others. So I guess like most mics, especially dynamics, "sometimes you get a good one." And when you do, hang onto it. My original is still in daily use at a TV station here. And they won't sell it back.

Bear in mind that the RE-20 still does have some proximity effect, tho greatly reduced. Eddie Cilletti once published comparative graphs of the RE-20's proximity effect vs. a regular Single-D cardioid. So, you can work it closer, but if you eat it you'll still get some bass boost. For some guys, it's just right. It sounds good and warm at about 6", but really opens up at 8".

When I was at WNOE, New Orleans, it killed the room well enough to open the second-floor studio window to the French Quarter below, or run a fairly quiet window air conditioner on low, without being obtrusive. But, of course, that was when radio was done "live," and certainly not suitable conditions for VO.

The RE-20 is beautifully forgiving in many ways, and very EQ-able as well. I'd love to hear it with a fast, high-gain preamp like a Grace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search