The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
folcrom users Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

folcrom users

anyone tried a tg2?
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear Head

Would love to, but I don't have one - if they made a TG2-500 however, I'd get a couple of units pretty sharpish and give it a go (I have LB spaces to fill!).

However, I'm really happy at present, running my 2x Folcroms (Folcra?) through a pair of MA5's, a 1968ME and a pair of E27's.
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Yes when I had my Folcrom I used it mostly with a TG-2 for rock and it was awesome.
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

may i ask why you got rid of your folcrom and if you can be bothered how did you get on with it ?

thanks
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes View Post
may i ask why you got rid of your folcrom and if you can be bothered how did you get on with it ?

thanks
I liked it.. I used it on several records I mixed. I need to get a new monitor controller and just couldn't keep it. I'm getting a Dangerous D-Box..

So if I have to I may build a summing box later.. But I plan to just use the D-Box for now.. I will miss the Folcrom/TG2 setup. Wish I could've held on to it.
Old 4th April 2009
Gear Nut

been happy with a 1272 or portico over here. followed by a requiste L2m and advedis e27 as well. (usually).....sorry haven't tried the tg.
Old 7th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lizard View Post
However, I'm really happy at present, running my 2x Folcroms (Folcra?)
Folcrii.
Old 8th April 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoreflakes View Post
anyone tried a tg2?
Pretty cool. Really punchy, with extremely round and warm midrange and bottom. This is the beautiful thing about the RMS16. It sounds exactly like your amps.

My all time favorite preamp for summing with the RMS16 is the Great River MP2NV because it has this amazing clarity and space with a MAGNIFICENT TOP END response.

If you really want something special, I highly recommend the DW Fearn VT2. The amplifier in this beast is lively and articulate, while it melts your ears with warmth.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Guru

I mix everything thru my Folcrom TG-2 setup.

I did a test against all my other preamps (Neve, Daking, API,) and preferred the TG2 every time.

The only negative is that I use my TG2 for tracking too so I can't sum until mix time.
Old 8th April 2009
Gear Maniac

I mostly use my pair of MA5s into the Drawmer 1968, or for clean acoustic instrument mixes sometimes the Hardy M1s into 1968.
Old 8th April 2009
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Lizard View Post
running my 2x Folcroms (Folcra?)
Folcrii? (Edit: nevermind, Justin beat me to it!)
Old 9th April 2009
Gear Nut

Yes. Sounds very good. Over here it's usually either a TG2, a pair of Germaniums or a pair of 512Cs on the Folcrom. All different, all great.
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

Here it's one of three possibilities: BAE 312As, MA5s, or Great River.

Great River is best of both worlds; BAE are API-esque but less mid-forward and more open up-top; the MA5s warm the low-mids more but can be a little muddy (28K switch give some nice air on-top, though).

I'd love to try the TG-2, but I don't have it. (Yet.....)
Old 9th April 2009
Lives for gear

I find that I sum through different pres depending on the music. This why I love the folcrom. I run more open mixes through my SCA N72 and my more rock/dense mixes through my A12 (with SLL blue dot op amps). On a simple acoustic mixes it ranges from the j99 to roll tubules. But then again thats why the folcrom is sweet. I can taylor the sound to what sounds best with the mixes and it takes me seconds to do that!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search