The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tool and Joe Barresi using high end gear on new record
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Tool and Joe Barresi using high end gear on new record

Looks like Tool is using Joe Barresi on their up coming studio album! Joe has been known to use some high end pieces, looks like this Tool recording will be exceptional.
they are supposedly recording at some place called The Loft in Hollywood - close to the 101 freeway, pretty cool! anybody know Joe????
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

That's so cool. I hope joe takes them in a different direction (sonically) than Botrill (can't spell) did. It would be cool for too to have a "rougher" sound than Lateralus.
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Yes, sonically it should be a different direction. I'm not familiar with the bands that Joe Barresi has worked with, but I know that he works with the heavy/industrial music.

here is an excerpt from an interview where he says he'll never leave home without Sontek, Alan Smart and Tube Tech. I wonder if this has changed at all. To get that heavy thunderous sound they sound like pretty good choices.

"JB: Whenever I’m mixing, I never leave home without my Sontek EQ, an Alan Smart stereo compressor to put on the bus right before the EQ, and a TubeTech stereo compressor that I use for drum submixes. Those are really the mandatory pieces."
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

The Loft is Danny Carey's studio. It's actually where Tool practices. I highly doubt they tracked drums there, maybe overdubs of some sort. As far as them using Joe Barresi, it could be possible but Justin Chancellor said and I quote "The man of the hour for us is David Bottrill." I think they really really really liked the way Lateralus turned out. Not saying it isn't possible they went with someone else this time, especially since Joe Barresi is ****ing amazing (anyone hear the band Tomahawk or the new Queens of the Stone Age?) Tool is one of my favorite bands so I'm kinda shocked to hear that if it is true.

Justin
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Yeah, you may be right, but, if you look at the Tool site they talk about "JOE" a guy name Joe working with the band. I really believe that what some of these other people are posting about it being Joe Barresi are true. One of the guys on another board said they are tracking guitars, vocals and such at this loft and are going to a studio in Burbank to track drums and bass. one of the guys said this loft place is behind a restaurant on Hollywood blvd. thats where their doing alot of recording, said they Barbecue in the ally. I believe it.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Yeah, I believe it now too actually, i'm pretty excited! The loft is Danny's place. Burbank.... www.oceanstudiosburbank.com . If I know Tool, they like gnarly drum rooms. And since Cello is now closed (where they tracked drums and bass for Aenima and Lateralus) they are gonna go somewhere else just as crazy. I bet they go to Ocean, I worked on an album their once and it was amazing, plus they have the largest Neve board with 1081's, 40 channels of them I believe.

Justin
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

It would be cool to see some of the gear their using, I heard it was an API at this loft place, and they were going to a studio in Burbank. It would be great fun to be a fly on the wall and see all the cool sick gear.
Old 21st July 2005
One with big hooves

Many moons ago ('96-'97) I got to assist Joe on a record and a couple of demos.

The man could crush with a handful of SM57's and a Smackie...but he's got way cooler tools (ba dum!!) then taat. He's a Neve & tape guy, loves big drum rooms too. So, regardless of what or where he's tracking it should rock as long as the band is rockin'.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Yeah... Tool rehearses at a place near the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Wilton. I assume this is "the loft".
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Kahrs
Many moons ago ('96-'97) I got to assist Joe on a record and a couple of demos.

The man could crush with a handful of SM57's and a Smackie...but he's got way cooler tools (ba dum!!) then taat. He's a Neve & tape guy, loves big drum rooms too. So, regardless of what or where he's tracking it should rock as long as the band is rockin'.

Thats very cool, would be great to get him here as a guest!!
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfjis
Yeah... Tool rehearses at a place near the corner of Hollywood Blvd. and Wilton. I assume this is "the loft".
I think that's the place. actually I guess it's a recording studio/rehearsal space.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

http://www.mcdman.com/barresi.html

I hope this album sounds different than Laterallus. I would like to see Tool do something a little more "raw" or "Nevish" sounding. Laterallus was a bit clean I guess. It sounds f'n great, don't get me wrong, but I think Tool would be off the chain with a "Muse: Absolution" type of sound quality to their stuff.

Either way I really look forward to the album. Tool is one of my top 5 fav bands of all time. The production on their stuff is always more than stellar. It's so intelligent.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

Maybe they're just teaming up, Joe Barresi mixing, perhaps... wasn't able to view that site.

Glad to hear they're working on a new album, I really enjoyed Aenima.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun
Thats very cool, would be great to get him here as a guest!!
AFAIK he's already a gearslutz guest

wolfgang
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolstudio
AFAIK he's already a gearslutz guest

wolfgang
serious? From watching the board I've never seen him as a guest before.

Excellent website and Studio btw!
Old 22nd July 2005
Here for the gear

Anyone know if Joe Barresi has been a guest? did a search and didn't find anything, anybody?
Old 22nd July 2005
what was wrong with Sylvia Massey?

undertow ruled
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

Joe was posting on the QOTSA thread answering a few questions that popped up.

QOTSA thread -> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/30144-qotsa-do-again.html

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineGun
... one of the guys said this loft place is behind a restaurant called "Torung" on Hollywood blvd. thats where their doing alot of recording, said they Barbecue in the ally. I believe it.
I can't tell you much about Tool or the Loft place but I can tell you that I eat at Torung at least once a week. It looks kind of scary and they always fly a "B" but the food is great. Monday and tuesday nights always seem bett than any other time. Cash only. Open very late, at least 3 am I think.

wm
Old 23rd July 2005
Well I just invited Joe to guest mod here for a month sometime..

So...

Honk if you want Joe!

HONK!!!!!!
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

HONK thumbsup
Old 23rd July 2005
Lives for gear

HONKETY HONK HONK HONK.

I joined too late to get a crack at asking him a couple of questions. tool is one of my favorites too. i would be sooooo stoked to hear about their new album from JOE!!!!

Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Honk!! very nice!
Old 23rd July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus B
Joe was posting on the QOTSA thread answering a few questions that popped up.

QOTSA thread -> https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/30144-qotsa-do-again.html

Cheers,
Marcus
Thank you Marcus.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
what was wrong with Sylvia Massey?

undertow ruled
Damn right.

Although Lateralus sounded great, I don't think it was the right sound for Tool, too clean. Undertow, and Aniema sound much better in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard
Yeah, I believe it now too actually, i'm pretty excited! The loft is Danny's place. Burbank.... www.oceanstudiosburbank.com . If I know Tool, they like gnarly drum rooms. And since Cello is now closed (where they tracked drums and bass for Aenima and Lateralus) they are gonna go somewhere else just as crazy. I bet they go to Ocean, I worked on an album their once and it was amazing, plus they have the largest Neve board with 1081's, 40 channels of them I believe.
I used to intern at Ocean Studios in Burbank. And I have to say that this would be a perfect studio for Tool to do drums at. They have tons of vintage gear, and an awsome sounding drum room.

I know Danny Carey has tracked drums at Ocean before for another project. So it would make sense for Tool to record drums for the upcoming album at Ocean.
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Well I just invited Joe to guest mod here for a month sometime..

So...

Honk if you want Joe!

HONK!!!!!!
Honkedy freakin' honk HONK HONK
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Head

its not gonna be Ocean Studios........I worked there once and had a miserable experience with the service/tech staff...or lack thereof. Thats all I'm gonna say.
Old 24th July 2005
Gear Maniac

Hi Joe,

Good to see you here, congrats on the new QOTSA, great music and production!
I really like the unhyped, raw and rough sound of this recording. I've never seen them "Live" but I guess it'd be pretty close.
I watched the "making of" the album last night, a very inspiring group of people...too bad we didn't see much of you in the CR...

Good luck with the new tool album, I'm really looking forward to hearing the result!!

Best regards,

Tom VDH
Old 24th July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom VDH
Hi Joe,

Good to see you here, congrats on the new QOTSA, great music and production!

Good luck with the new tool album, I'm really looking forward to hearing the result!!

Best regards,

Tom VDH
Yes, it's definitely great to have you here Joe! Thank you.

It's Definitely an honor to have so many talented producers and engineers here.

so many questions!! what's it like working with those guys? you must be on cloud 9 working with like's of Danny and Mynard - a dream gig!

Does the loft suit your needs? or did you have to bring in a ton o gear with you?
You working on an old API there? did you have to bring your Pro Tools rig with you? care to elaborate? I have a ton of questions, but I'll leave it at that.

what about those sausages? care to let us in on the secret?

Joe will definitely make this Tool record completely insane!
Old 24th July 2005
Lives for gear

Super Cool to have you here, Joe!

If I may be so bold, I'd love to hear an account of how the record is progressing...

Are you currently in prepro, or are you guys cutting tracks? Please give us all the minutae! I'm particularly interested in how you're going to be handling drum tracking/basics.

Do tell...

And Welcome to GS!!!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search