The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynamic mic vs pré-amp
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Maniac

Dynamic mic vs pré-amp

Hello,

I've just bought my first dynamic mic.

I don't do a lot of vocal stuff but when I do, I use a NTK from rode.
Next week I'm gonna record a vocal with a very loud sound like Aretha Franklin so I was told I needed a dynamic mic for that.

Planning to do more vocals in the future I also bought the SE Electronis z3300A (N3300A) to have more mics to choose from.

For the session with the Aretha-voicelike I'd like to try the dynamic mike and the z3300 at the same time. I only have one pre-amp though. (focusrite green 3)

I know the dynamic mike doesn't need phantompower. Is it just enough to route the dynamic mic to one of mine distressors and pump the incoming signal up with the input-knob of the distressor (and after that use the distressors compres functions)? Or does the dynamic mic (a Neuman BCM 705 by the way) needs a pre-amp too?
I also have a Soundcraft Ghost console with phantompower and then the inputgain but I don't thrust that one to get a good vocalsignal.

You're advice wil be very much apreciated.

Thanks.

grtz. Tom
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sigmond
Hello,

I've just bought my first dynamic mic.

I don't do a lot of vocal stuff but when I do, I use a NTK from rode.
Next week I'm gonna record a vocal with a very loud sound like Aretha Franklin so I was told I needed a dynamic mic for that.

Planning to do more vocals in the future I also bought the SE Electronis z3300A (N3300A) to have more mics to choose from.

For the session with the Aretha-voicelike I'd like to try the dynamic mike and the z3300 at the same time. I only have one pre-amp though. (focusrite green 3)

I know the dynamic mike doesn't need phantompower. Is it just enough to route the dynamic mic to one of mine distressors and pump the incoming signal up with the input-knob of the distressor (and after that use the distressors compres functions)? Or does the dynamic mic (a Neuman BCM 705 by the way) needs a pre-amp too?
I also have a Soundcraft Ghost console with phantompower and then the inputgain but I don't thrust that one to get a good vocalsignal.

You're advice wil be very much apreciated.

Thanks.

grtz. Tom
A Dynamic Mics sounds is more dependent on the pre then condensers and dynamics have a much lower output single so a pre amp is imperative for you to get a line level signal

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search