The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old Neve Ad w/ George Martin!
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Maniac

Old Neve Ad w/ George Martin!

I found this very cool ad here:

SURROUNDHEAD

Great stuff, btw. Cool blog!

"The channel amplifiers have sufficient equalisation to meet all advanced recording techniques".

Indeed!!!

Guido
Attached Thumbnails
Old Neve Ad w/ George Martin!-air_studios_neve_1975.jpg  
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear

Love it!
Old 31st March 2009

Nice.
Old 31st March 2009
Jai guru deva om

I'd like to officially kick off the campaign to bring back tie and jacket wear for mixing!

Here, here!

(and plaid chairs while we're at it...!)

War
Old 31st March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I'd like to officially kick off the campaign to bring back tie and jacket wear for mixing!

Here, here!

(and plaid chairs while we're at it...!)

War
I say we bring back the lamb-chop sideburns. heh
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
now those are some sideburns, holy moly....dude got 'm all up his mouth
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
i believe they are called ''mutton chops"
Old 1st April 2009
Here for the gear

And it sounds great too

The Neve desk shown in the ad was installed at the Warehouse, in Vancouver BC, ( Owner Bryan Adams ) about 10 or 12 years ago. I've tracked a few projects on this desk, and although the EQ is amazing, I only needed EQ on one track ---( Kick drum -- cut at 350 hz )

It really doesn't get better than this.

cheers
Old 1st April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsays View Post
i believe they are called ''mutton chops"
Yep... I think you're right. I must have been hungry. heh
Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear

GEORGE MARTIN: "The channel amplifiers have sufficient equalisation to meet all advanced recording techniques'."

Ain't that the truth!! After many decades, here we are still using his stuff-- how's that for designing stuff for future advanced recording? heh
Old 1st April 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven drake View Post
The Neve desk shown in the ad was installed at the Warehouse, in Vancouver BC, ( Owner Bryan Adams ) about 10 or 12 years ago. I've tracked a few projects on this desk, and although the EQ is amazing, I only needed EQ on one track ---( Kick drum -- cut at 350 hz )

cheers

Pretty sure this isn't the same desk. I think the reference to AIR Studios might be misleading (where Bryans desk came from.)

While I've never "worked" on this desk, I've seen it at Warehouse and first saw it when it was totally dismantled being rebuilt at Warehouse's temp digs (the old Jason sound on Welch in N.Vanc) and later when Ron and Chris were reassembling it in Warehouses tech shop on E 3rd. in Vanc

I could be wrong but this looks quite different....

Steven Drake from Odds I take it? You do some great work, Steven - especially love the mixing work done on Trouble In The Henhouse
Old 1st April 2009
Quote:
What the "modern" engineer look with Fedoras or horn rimmed glasses doen't do it for you?

Its like every engineer looks like a male version of Lisa Loeb with a soul patch these days.
Old 1st April 2009
Led
Lives for gear

Like this?

Yeah, bring back the ponytails and bomber jackets...
Old 1st April 2009

Little did they know......
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Head

and if you look close enough, all faders down and where are the monitorspeakers?

we should get some more old ads up and make some poster

cheers jan
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
What the "modern" engineer look with Fedoras or horn rimmed glasses doen't do it for you?

Its like every engineer looks like a male version of Lisa Loeb with a soul patch these days.

ROFLMFAO!

Oh, man. You hit it right on the head! But let's not forget the goatee/backwards baseball cap look.

My wife hates goatees.... she thinks it makes a man's mouth look like his asshole.

And she about shot me when I tried to grow a soul patch.

Guido
Old 1st April 2009
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by neujan View Post
and if you look close enough, all faders down and where are the monitorspeakers?
The guys behind the desk are telling them the mix looks good and describing how it sounds.

War
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz View Post
Pretty sure this isn't the same desk. I think the reference to AIR Studios might be misleading (where Bryans desk came from.)

While I've never "worked" on this desk, I've seen it at Warehouse and first saw it when it was totally dismantled being rebuilt at Warehouse's temp digs (the old Jason sound on Welch in N.Vanc) and later when Ron and Chris were reassembling it in Warehouses tech shop on E 3rd. in Vanc

I could be wrong but this looks quite different....

Steven Drake from Odds I take it? You do some great work, Steven - especially love the mixing work done on Trouble In The Henhouse
The one at Warehouse i have read is an EMI/NEVE from Abbey Road.
Old 1st April 2009
Baz
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
Again, can't say I know for certain, and it was back in 95 or 96' that I talked with the guys rebuilding it, but pretty sure it came from AIR.

In fact, Warehouse claims it does right on their webpage and you can read the history HERE. You can also see by the picture of it that it's nothing like the one in the brochure.

Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear

Wha wha wha!!!!!
Whats going on under that desk????
Old 2nd April 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post

Old 2nd April 2009
Gear Maniac

That is true my friend.
Old 5th August 2009
Here for the gear

The Warehouse Neve

The Warehouse Neve was originally from Air London not EMI. Bryan purchase it from
A&M studios as it was in storage without a purpose at the time. Before that, it spent
many years at Atlantic Studios. Ron and myself spent 2 1/2 years restoring this to
it's original condition as well as added some interesting mods and additions such
as a stereo version of the SSL quad compressor on the stereo buss and 6 extra channels
using SSL components ( G preamps , E eq's ) where the reverb returns used to be bringing the channel count up to 58.
It was set up for a short time in our temp. location in North Vancouver and recorded
The Cult and Jackyl there. The first major project on it at the Warehouse Studio
was AC/DC.
A great console with a lot of history.

chris
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven drake View Post

cheers
Hi

Oh no it wasn't... Not even close.

Brian Adams console is one of the three consoles built to the specs of the one that was installed in Monserrat. Those consoles were all IC based with custom toroidal audio transformers (debatable how useful that was....) and ran on +/-18v.

The consoles in the photo were a number AIR had built based loosely around the class A 8028 console... they use a lot of the same modules.

The main difference with an 8028 was the layout with the meters far right and the 2254's on the left.

Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid View Post
Hi

Nope, that ain't even close either...

That console, with its sibling EMI-Paris, is in the UK.

Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterman View Post
The Warehouse Neve was originally from Air London not EMI. Bryan purchase it from
A&M studios as it was in storage without a purpose at the time. Before that, it spent
many years at Atlantic Studios. Ron and myself spent 2 1/2 years restoring this to
it's original condition as well as added some interesting mods and additions such
as a stereo version of the SSL quad compressor on the stereo buss and 6 extra channels
using SSL components ( G preamps , E eq's ) where the reverb returns used to be bringing the channel count up to 58.
It was set up for a short time in our temp. location in North Vancouver and recorded
The Cult and Jackyl there. The first major project on it at the Warehouse Studio
was AC/DC.
A great console with a lot of history.

chris
Hi

Did you fix the poor 4T noise figure?

Old 6th August 2009
Here for the gear

Hi Geoff ,
If i recall , the noise floor on the quad buss sat around -68. I guess on an analog
tape machine it was less noticeable but is a lot more apparent with protools. This being
the larger console of the bunch , it most likely had the most noise. I know we had Steve
Butterworth come out and help us tweak it out once the console was in place at the
Warehouse. You might know him as he was involved with the design and build of this
console when he was with Neve. He also had a ton of parts.
Regardless of having ic's , it's still a great sounding beast and i still do sessions on it a
couple times a year.

chris
Old 6th August 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterman View Post
Hi Geoff ,
If i recall , the noise floor on the quad buss sat around -68. I guess on an analog
tape machine it was less noticeable but is a lot more apparent with protools. This being
the larger console of the bunch , it most likely had the most noise. I know we had Steve
Butterworth come out and help us tweak it out once the console was in place at the
Warehouse. You might know him as he was involved with the design and build of this
console when he was with Neve. He also had a ton of parts.
Regardless of having ic's , it's still a great sounding beast and i still do sessions on it a
couple times a year.

chris
Hi Chris

Yes, I know Steve from days at Neve. I mention the noise issue because, to date, I don't think anyone has spotted a glaring error in the design of the beast. Drop me an email and I might be persuaded to explain the nature of the problem that affects all three consoles. I don't want to publish it here

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search