The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
low wattage tube combo
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

low wattage tube combo

I'm looking for a low wattage tube combo for recording purposes mainly. I need ok cleans, but I will be needing good sounding and fairly high gain metal distortion. Now, the problem seems to be that most of the smaller tube combos are more clean/mid-gain oriented.

Does anyone know of an amp suitable for my needs?

Also, would buying a mid-gain amp like, say, a Bad Cat Minicat and a OD/distortion pedal yield a viable alternative?

Suggestions please...

Thanks in advance
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Check out the Warm n Fat amp @ www.rainbowelectronics.net... Go to the links section. It's hand made by John McCormick. You'll need a cabinet, but these things scream. I have the 8th one made. I run mine thru a single 12" vintage 30. They were going for about $200, I don't what he sells them for now, but I highly recomend it for recording purposes. Give John a buzz he'll talk your ear off, he's a great guy.... Hope this helps, Jimmy
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPills
Check out the Warm n Fat amp @ www.rainbowelectronics.net... Go to the links section. It's hand made by John McCormick. You'll need a cabinet, but these things scream. I have the 8th one made. I run mine thru a single 12" vintage 30. They were going for about $200, I don't what he sells them for now, but I highly recomend it for recording purposes. Give John a buzz he'll talk your ear off, he's a great guy.... Hope this helps, Jimmy
Sounds nice, but I'm really looking for a combo rather than a head/cab solution right now. But thanks anyway
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

These things used to be scarce but now there are many choices. For high gain, in a combo, Cornford Harlequin (it'll get brown but not into Diezel/Bogner hi-gain) or if you are willing to go for a mini head and a 1x12, Peters Wolverines pop up on ebay and gearpage now and again....you could probably get a head and have a combo shell made.

In the cleaner realm, Dr Z, Star, BadCat, Reeves, Savage, all the champ clones (Clark, Victoria + all the kit amps) ...most of which will react well to a pedal in front.

On the cheap, Hughes and kettner used to make a series of tube pres with a 1 watt power amp.....I use mine as a talk box driver. Other 1 watters include zvex, Stephenson Stagehog and a few others.

Andy
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Jule Amps are rockin my world for this purpose. They make a 5 watt and a 15 watt combo that should fit the bill nicely
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

check out emery sound

emerysound.com
Old 21st July 2005
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

I second Emery Sound . Haven't heard it, but when I hvae more $ for amps, that's the one I'm gettin next.

How much do you want to spend? What are you looking for in the amp? I'd look into the 5 watt Dr Z. Or the Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special (make sure it's the Special). Or get a used Mesa Boogie Blue Angel. Victoria makes a nice 5 watt. THD Univalve. Groove Tubes Soul O Single. Reverend Goblin.

Also, www.SongWorks.com. Nano Head does its unique sound very well, but is a one trick pony IMO.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

The best combos are Vintage Fender, Vox or Marshall. My fav for low power is the Fender low powered twin. Many guitarists would agree, but they're not cheap. The Victorias are not bad, but nothing like the vintage ones.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Soul O???? not exactly high gain.....imho, just not exactly anything

there's a Peters here right now: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...threadid=92377

Andy
Old 21st July 2005
Here for the gear

I haven't decided on a set budget yet, I want to get the low down on what's available first. However, keep in mind that I'll be needing some high gain distortion.

How high gain is really the Cornford one? Also, have anyone heard of the George Dennis Mighty Mouse 50W head or combo? Opinions on that one? Not really low wattage, but I might get a good offer on that one.

I was also considering buying an ENGL thunder combo (again not really low wattage...), but I don't have the opportunity to try it before I buy, and I don't know enough about the tone of that amp. I've heard some ENGL clips on rocksolidamps.com but they fail to give me an impression of what the tone is like. Also, most of their clips are death metal like, which I'm not really into...
Old 21st July 2005
500 series nutjob

dont know much about metal, but a big fan of the small fender amps i really like the 60's Princeton's.
i also like the kendrick amps.
i have not tried one of these yet, but its the same guy the worked for webber and made my kendrick.
http://area51tubeaudiodesigns.com/index.htm
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by decay
I'm looking for a low wattage tube combo for recording purposes mainly. I need ok cleans, but I will be needing good sounding and fairly high gain metal distortion. Now, the problem seems to be that most of the smaller tube combos are more clean/mid-gain oriented.

Does anyone know of an amp suitable for my needs?

Also, would buying a mid-gain amp like, say, a Bad Cat Minicat and a OD/distortion pedal yield a viable alternative?

Suggestions please...

Thanks in advance

high gain? check out the roccaforte HG series as well as Peters amps... they are made to order so getting a combo shouldn't be too hard...

Also the VooDoo amps witchdoctor...
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

High gain? Scratch my previous suggestions.

You might also check out Boogies in addition to the above suggestions. A lot of the truly low-wattage amps tend to be low-mid gain, unless you crank them to 11. And then it's still pretty much all power tube distortion. High gain is usually preamp in combo with power tube distortion.

Since it's high gain you're looking for at low-wattage, then you should (as stated above) look at the Zvex Nanohead. It sounds great through a 4x10 or 4x12 cab. I haven't heard it through a 1x12, but I'm sure it'll do great with that as well. Good high-gain recording amp (1/2 watt?), sounds huge. Don't expect decent clean or edge-of-breakup, however.
Old 21st July 2005
500 series nutjob

not sure why but i spaced the boogies.
i have a blue angle head and 4x10 that i do love.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

The Cornford is high gain enough to be able to stand near the amp and play chromatic feedback (ie. playing with one hand, neither hammering or pulling off)....but it is not going to sound like Tool or Disturbed or Metalica (if that's what you want) without something in front....there are clips on their site.

I'm thinking of trying a McGourty vintage Greenback clone in mine!

Andy
Old 21st July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sysexguy

In the cleaner realm, Dr Z, Star, BadCat, Reeves, Savage,
Andy
The Reeves are rebadged Hiwatt 30 watters and are actually a few bucks cheaper than the Hiwatt UK amps that Fernandes now sells in the USA. The Reeves were basically UK Hiwatts under a different name because Fernandes owned the rights to the Hiwatt name in N. America. They are NOT made by Fernandes which is a good thing because the ones made by Music Ground in England are better and more true to the original Hiwatt designs, although Hiwatt never made a 30 watt combo under the Hylight or Biacrown years. Fernandes now imports the better UK made Hiwatts like the custom 50 and 100 amps. Can't go wrong with a Reeves.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Addict

I went to an "amp fest" recently here in LA: the Reeves/Hiwatt were QUITE good and I am SO picky. I also liked the Zinky and "65" amps. All three had a range of tones but could get into that "scream without a pedal mode" and still do a great clean tone.
Old 21st July 2005
Gear Head

the fender pricneton reverb is the best i have everused
Old 21st July 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry zip
the fender pricneton reverb is the best i have everused
I have one, they're great but not for that Hi Gain power tool thing. If the Reeves is close to the original HiWatt, its a great sound but that wouldnt really be that shredded out thing either either unless you put a pedal in front.
Old 21st July 2005
Lives for gear

vht makes a 50 pitbull combo. its able to put out really clean and in your face higain.
iam using a mesa studio .22 with a green back.i use couple of tube screamers in front of it at the same time for some really nice hi gain sounds thumbsup
Old 21st July 2005
500 series nutjob

i had a pit bull 45 i do miss
Old 22nd July 2005
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab
I have one, they're great but not for that Hi Gain power tool thing. If the Reeves is close to the original HiWatt, its a great sound but that wouldnt really be that shredded out thing either either unless you put a pedal in front.
Keep in mind that those smaller 30 watt amps run on EL84's as the output tubes and you can get those sounding pretty fuzzy. They won't be ultra loud and clean like the Custom 50 that I have running off two EL34's.
Old 22nd July 2005
you can get a boogie 50 caliber combo for around $350 nowdays. Tons of gain , 50 watts and not as mushy as the rectos

heres some roughs with the head I have
http://www.selectivestitching.com/ncnc
Old 22nd July 2005
Gear Maniac

The 15 THD Univalve in cool. Change the tubes for subtle differences.
Also have the VHT Pittbull 45. Un atched clean tone and tons of metallic gain on the gain channel.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

Emery Sound! Check out their "mad-scientist" tube kit you can get from them. You can swap preamp, poweramp, and rectifier tubes around without having to rebias or anything. I also like how the tone control is bypassed when you turn it fully counter-clockwise.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Maniac

I have an Orange AD-15 combo that is perfect for recording - tone for days, and even wide open with the power tubes wailing it's still not quite loud enough to piss off the neighbors, with just the right amount of distortion. Combined with a variety of stomp boxes I've been able to get an incredible array of sounds out of this little baby.

Orange stopped making these about a year ago, but you may still be able to find one on the used market.
Old 23rd July 2005
Gear Head

It's not a Dual Rectum-Fryer, but the Savage Macht 6 and 12 are very nice. For recording, the 6 is perfect, a little quiet for on stage, but the 12 works nicely in that capacity.
It's not Nu-Metal for sure, but plenty of drive depending on what's feeding it.

Jed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search