The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I need a COMPRESSOR... Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 29th March 2009
Gear Maniac

I need a COMPRESSOR...

...to use on my stereo bus, when I bounce tracks. Outboard ofcourse...

Anyone used the GTC2 from Aurora Audio for this?

I'm very happy with my GTQ2 Pre so why not, except it's making some noise these days, Geoff...?

Back to the compressor, I will also use it on Vocals and acustic guitar etc.... But like I said, most of the time to juice up my mix and control the limits on my stero bus.

What would you recomand?

Thanks Guys!

Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

No You Don't.
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

i just got a gtc2 about a month or so ago and am in love with it. it is great at everything you mentioned and then some. very versatile compressor. opto sounds amazing on the mix.
Old 29th March 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickynicknick View Post
No You Don't.
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post

I'm very happy with my GTQ2 Pre so why not, except it's making some noise these days, Geoff...?

Back to the compressor, I will also use it on Vocals and acustic guitar etc.... But like I said, most of the time to juice up my mix and control the limits on my stero bus.

What would you recomand?

Thanks Guys!

seriously though, I find that the best compressors for your overall mix don't work weel for tracking...even though we'd like to think they should...they don't.....SSL G bus, Neve 33609, C1....those I've used...I hear Pheonix has some great stuff, but no experience with those.

Good Luck!

Nick
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
seriously though, I find that the best compressors for your overall mix don't work weel for tracking...even though we'd like to think they should...they don't.....SSL G bus, Neve 33609, C1....those I've used...I hear Pheonix has some great stuff, but no experience with those.

Good Luck!

Nick
seriously though, a Neve 33609 is a great tracking compressor.
Old 29th March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
Tracking compressor is not the most important for me, at least not this time around.

Mix use is first priority right now.

Thanks for the tips, I will check em out...

Dhiltonlittle, you said the GTC was great on the mix in opto? How did you use it, just on the master bus? It's just one channel on that unit, right? No stereo there?
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

There are so many great mix comps out there ... some are allready mentioned. One of my favorites for all-around compression is the Buzz SOC. Check it out - it won't kill your savings too

Jo
Old 29th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dhiltonlittle, you said the GTC was great on the mix in opto? How did you use it, just on the master bus? It's just one channel on that unit, right? No stereo there?
The GTC2 is stereo. The GTQC channel strip is mono.
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Greedy View Post
are you answering the OP's question?... or are you just being an asshole?...I tried my best to give my thoughts on the subject...WTF are you doing?
Old 30th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tracking compressor is not the most important for me, at least not this time around.

Mix use is first priority right now.

Thanks for the tips, I will check em out...

i was talking about the GTC2. it is two channels of both fet and opto which can be used separate or in combination. really a great compressor. i'd recommend it highly.
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Maniac

There are many to choose from.
Do you like the solid state or tube models?
Old 31st March 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4blades View Post
There are many to choose from.
Do you like the solid state or tube models?
I like the ones who warms up and colours the sound in a nice way. I don't like using compressors hard or heavy. Just a touch, to control the mix. I like the the sound of tubes in general, but I was thinking about of a solid state comp... would not mind a tube tec in my rack tough.

In most of my recordings there is Drums, Acustic guitar, Bass, Electric Guitar, SteelGuitar and some strings and also acustic bass. Think of Whiskeytown, Ray Lamontage, Ethan Johns productions...

Old 31st March 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
In most of my recordings there is Drums, Acustic guitar, Bass, Electric Guitar, SteelGuitar and some strings and also acustic bass. Think of Whiskeytown, Ray Lamontage, Ethan Johns productions...

vac rac tsl3

api 2500

manley vari-mu

thermionic phoenix

gregory scott - ubk
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
are you answering the OP's question?... or are you just being an asshole?...I tried my best to give my thoughts on the subject...WTF are you doing?
I'm asking myself who's here the a**hole ...
Old 31st March 2009

The GTC2 is a great choice. I also use it on stereo buss in opto. It's the only compressor that I would use to track vocals/bass/guitar AND also use on the stereo buss.
Old 31st March 2009
Here for the gear

Tasty.

Quote:
No You Don't.
Old 31st March 2009
Jai guru deva om

Kristian, the Safe Sound Audio Dynamics Toolbox has 2 modes on board tailored for tracking and mixing / submixing, and also has multiple sidechain EQ and parallel blend capability on board, as well as swappable Lundahl and Sowter transformers for even more versatility.

My very biased suggestion.

War
Old 31st March 2009
Lives for gear

Drawmer 1968...awesome for tracking and mix/drum busses.
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
vac rac tsl3

api 2500

manley vari-mu

thermionic phoenix

gregory scott - ubk
Looking at the vac rac tsl3 and thermionic phoenix, how would you describe them used on the mix?

I know a few people claiming that the vac rac tsl3 is great on tracking, but I'm after one to use on the mix... whats your opinion?
Old 1st April 2009
Gear Addict

Everyone knows you NEED a Fairchild 670

hehe..

Maybe you should try the Drawmer, or some sort of SSL clone maybs.

Best bet is look at your budget, try out a few.
Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

What would you recomand?

Thanks Guys!

The GTC2 adds clarity and punch to my mixes! Sounds great!
Old 2nd April 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
I know a few people claiming that the vac rac tsl3 is great on tracking, but I'm after one to use on the mix... whats your opinion?

it pulls things together in an extremely musical way, it's almost pillowy soft and very old school in its action. it accentuates any harmonics and grit in all the right ways too.

the only reason i don't have one is the pricetag.

gregory scott - ubk
Old 2nd April 2009
Lives for gear

SSL-type is great for two buss glue

The TK Audio seems to be great for that
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Looking at the vac rac tsl3 and thermionic phoenix, how would you describe them used on the mix?

Stay away from the Vac Rac TSL3 for that purpose. I'm sure it sounds incredible but limiters which don't offer adjustable attack and release will hinder you. They are great for tracking because their fast and easy to get a sound but limited "no pun intended" for mix buss applications. I use a Focusrite Red 3 but that may not be what you're looking for. Ultimately you'll have to see if you can arrange to demo any unit in your studio to make a final decision.

Best of Luck
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear Maniac

[quote=Upfront2K;4060272]Stay away from the Vac Rac TSL3 for that purpose. I'm sure it sounds incredible but limiters which don't offer adjustable attack and release will hinder you.

Thats exactly what I have been thinking. Also, it may also color the master bus to much. However, it could be great on vocals or acustic guitar or whatever, but maybe not the whole mix. What I want is a compressor that adds punch and clairity to the mix. Thats why I was thinking about the GTC2 from Aurora Audio... could be great for that. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to demo one, but I'm very, very happy with my GTQ2 pre, so if the compressor is in the same league it might be the one for me.

Not that I need one I just WANT one fuuck
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

[quote=Kristian;4060335]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfront2K View Post
Stay away from the Vac Rac TSL3 for that purpose. I'm sure it sounds incredible but limiters which don't offer adjustable attack and release will hinder you.

Thats exactly what I have been thinking. Also, it may also color the master bus to much. However, it could be great on vocals or acustic guitar or whatever, but maybe not the whole mix. What I want is a compressor that adds punch and clairity to the mix. Thats why I was thinking about the GTC2 from Aurora Audio... could be great for that. Unfortunately I don't have the chance to demo one, but I'm very, very happy with my GTQ2 pre, so if the compressor is in the same league it might be the one for me.

Not that I need one I just WANT one fuuck
i bought my gtc2 without a demo and the only problem i have with it is now i want a second one! it really sounds like it is right up your alley. i can't think of a better compressor for vocals, acoustic guitars, and mix buss.
Old 3rd April 2009
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=Kristian;4060335][quote=Upfront2K;4060272]Stay away from the Vac Rac TSL3 for that purpose. I'm sure it sounds incredible but limiters which don't offer adjustable attack and release will hinder you.

What I want is a compressor that adds punch and clairity to the mix. Thats why I was thinking about the GTC2 from Aurora Audio.

If it's punch and clarity you're after then the Focusrite Red 3 maybe the ticket. As I said in my prior post that's my mix buss compressor. I've had it now for years after having gone thru the Manleys, Tube Techs, Drawmers, Api, Smart C2 etc etc. To this date I haven't found a unit that I would replace it with and I've listened to a great deal of units in my studio. I'm not saying I'll never find a unit to replace it but I am saying that there is something special about what it does that just works. 1-3 DB of gain reduction is all you need with the machine and it just makes things sound Hi Fi. The stereo imaging remains tight with depth and it doesn't collapse like say a Smart C2 or Api 2500. I know a lot of guys on here love them but they didn't do it for me on a whole mix. Their great on other things though of course. I haven't heard the Aurora compressor so I can't speak on the machine though I know they make fantastic gear. Oh and by the way I use to own a Vac Rac system so I'm familiar with their limiters. They sound great but they are definitely on the transparent side. Not sterile like a Crane Song just very little color but warm sounding. They also don't add any size, they just do they job in a nice way. Hope that helps.
Old 3rd April 2009
AB3
Lives for gear

Punch and clarity to mix = Dramastic Audio Obsidian.

Have not heard the Aurora - but I bet it is great as well. I just know the Obsidian is great on the whole mix. The Obsidian enhances the mix, bring clarity, and yet it is smooth.
Old 12th April 2009
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Punch and clarity to mix = Dramastic Audio Obsidian.

Have not heard the Aurora - but I bet it is great as well. I just know the Obsidian is great on the whole mix. The Obsidian enhances the mix, bring clarity, and yet it is smooth.
+1 on this.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search